• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

windows 3.1

i fix ed it then screwed it back up lol now wants a:/ drive after i tried to install pcmcia drivers "reason why network cards didnt work lol" but diskette had bad sector and computer froze so i put old drive in so im stuck on win 98 :(

Ay! I know all about bad sectors. I got a free 1992 or so 486 laptop, real nice and slim/light. I slipped in a DOS disk, and I had to format the HD. Argh! Sector 0 is bad!!! So becuase of the boot sector being bad, the thing wont install! Soon enough I will find an old laptop drive, though.

Best of luck!

--Ryan

im starting to hate diskettes we should go back to cartridges lol

hehehehe over the last few months, Ive spent some coin on obtaining DD and HD 5.25 disks, unfortunatly... some were bad right out of sealed boxes. Starting to show thier age I guess.

Thanks for the memories

Thanks for the memories

If it doesn't, you should make one, just in case. And update it every time you make changes to it.

copy autoexec.bat autoexec.old

--T

My autoexecs used to have a simple 3-generation copy (ie, delete autoexec.3, copy autoexec.2 autoexec.3, copy autoexec.1 autoexec.2, copy autoexec.bat autoexec.1 type of thing, but with errorlevel trapping, overwrite 'Y' -or del first on the older ones, 'if exists', etc). Each reboot would genshift the copies, so as long as I didn't go three reboots without noticing a problem, all was recoverable.

hehehehe over the last few months, Ive spent some coin on obtaining DD and HD 5.25 disks, unfortunatly... some were bad right out of sealed boxes. Starting to show thier age I guess.

I take a more ridculously robust solution to the floppy problem, I slap an ethernet card in everything I have that has a processor, RAM, and a hard disk in it, and back it all up to my main system. Then when I want/need a piece of software, it's ready to use and all I have to do is configure it once it's on the chosen system. If it does not have an ethernet card, or some other form of connecting to my home LAN, then I don't consider it finished with being tweaked, the only exception being if it has a CD-ROM, which isn't likely with the subject matter of this forum.

As for Autoexec.bat and Config.sys, I usually make a multi-boot config, and save a backup of it in the MS-DOS directory (C:\DOS). I usually start with the default MS-DOS config, then add stuff on top of it till I have a huge single boot deal with lots of lines, then I go through, add the code to execute multi-boot, as well as the "headers" for the various configurations, and remove stuff that is un-needed for the use the config is used for, usually aimed at saving system resources by removing drivers, changing configuration options to fit the software being used (like FILES=45 for Borland Turbo C++ 1.0). the last one on the menu is almost always the Windows Boot, because if I forget the END statement, I don't have a huge mess of error messages and potential to crash the system if I forget that all too important pair of syntax....GOTO END, and :END.

Back