• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Model 4 26-1058??

Druid6900

Veteran Member
After all my years as a Tandy Computer Repair Depot manager, I thought I had seen every computer and related peripheral with the Tandy name on it.

Until tonight.

I was sent photographs of a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 disk-less, 64K, green screen computer. Says so right on the case bottom label. It also says that the catalogue is 26-1058. Problem is, Tandy never made anything computer related that was anything-1058.

I've never seen one, I've never worked on one, I've never heard of one and I can find NO information on them, yet, there it is, and, to make matters worse, there are TWO of them.

The Model 4 series started with 2x-1067 and ended at 2x-1070 with the 4P being a 2x-1080.

Now, regardless of the common perception, I don't know EVERYTHING, so, if anyone can shed some light on this machine, I would be grateful.

I'm getting some more shots of the bottom of the case to see if there are any other identifying marks, but, I'm not holding out much hope that it will solve anything.

Last edited:
It is probably from the educational sales unit. They had unique part numbers. They would put together systems like you're describing.

Does it have a network (arcnet I think) interface in the back? It would have a bank of 8 dip switches and two wingnuts. It could also have used the casette port for "networking".

What Terry so eloquently put was what I was trying to imply. The educational division had a lot of unique parts, each with a unique part number. I have a DT-1 with an unlisted part number too. I THINK it is just a standard DT-1, but the part number is different.

kb2syd was right on the money and pictures of the back of the unit confirmed it.

Eight position dip switch and wingnut connections for the ArcNet and the cassette port for U/D functions. Up here, due to CSA regs, the wingnuts had to be a male BNC connector.

Also explains why I never saw one. The school systems, even if they were next door, were handled by the Education Department at head office. If one went down, it was replaced through national parts (in Canada) and the defective one sent back to HQ.

Thanks for the assist and T, it could have been used in that manner except that the multi-user systems from RS were made to work with the DT-100 teminals and had a standard DB-25 serial connection on the multi-user interface.

I suppose, with the standard ArcNet BNC connections, though, if you ripped the connector off one end you could use the bare wires attached to the wingnuts to connect it and then just use a Star Topography or daisy-chain them.

The setup I had used a dual-floppy Model 4 as a server, a Network 4 controller, and 10 Model I's as workstations, connected via cassette ports. The Net 4 had IIRC, 16 outputs. I inherited it from my daughter's first grade teacher when her nephew (who worked at RS) donated a T1K-based network.

--T

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the way I remember seeing it set up in the catalog, but, I didn't really pay attention to the model numbers since they weren't MY problem and I had enough problems of my own keeping all the Tandy stuff in southern Ontario going :)

Back