• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

wanted SB-16 or equivalent

hargle

Veteran Member
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my 286 with a soundcard. The 16bit ISA soundblaster cards that keep showing up on ebay all seem to be the PnP versions, and the software used to configure them doesn't run on a 286.

I can handle setting the jumpers myself, really. ;)

So, I'm looking for an 8 or 16bit early soundblaster card, although I suppose anything SB compatible will work just fine.

thanks!

ISA Sound Cards

ISA Sound Cards

I have about 15 ISA soundcards. None of them are Creative Labs.

1 x Voyetra "Monte Carlo 929". No manual/Driver for this.
Help Here

1 x JAZZ16 based Chinese clone. Has Jumpers for IOBase/CD IRQ/lots of other crap. Interfaces for Mitsumi/Sony/Panasonic CD-Roms. No driver.

Everything else seems to be pretty much jumperless (and therefore I assume PnP).

aul.

How about using the plug-n-pray software in a 386 to make the settings changes (disabling pnp in the process) then installing in the 286?

I've done this with problematic network cards.

How about using the plug-n-pray software in a 386 to make the settings changes (disabling pnp in the process) then installing in the 286?

I've done this with problematic network cards.

I'm not 100% by a long shot, but I don't think I can do that.
I believe I tried this a long time ago, and the problem is that you still need some software to load up at boot to go out and query/enable the dang thing, and that does all the PnPing that I need to avoid on the 286, at least that's my recollection of the problem anyway. The software that's out there is now so vaguely bundled that it's even tough to find the right drivers for the particular card you have, so I figured I'd just try to find something more oldskool.

thanks for all the offers, I have located 2 on ebay now that claim to be CT1350's, which should have all the jumpers that I ever wanted. ;)

-jeff!

I've done this several times with network cards, but they use generic drivers. What happens is that you turn off PNP and pick what I/O and IRQ you want using the configuration software, then tell the software via comman switches what you used.

I have no idea if this would work with a SB card though. I know simlar software was available for the SB Line to disable PnP (for early cards anyway). It was an ugly interface too. I seem to recall green text on a white background.

Back