• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

thinkpad 755cd - how to remove keyboard?

billdeg

Technician
I don't want to break the thing...how do you safely remove the keyboard cover from an IBM Thinkpad 755 series laptop? My goal is to replace the keyboard, but I can't get to the connectors without removing the keyboard cover.
Thanks

p.s. here's an old ebay auction depicting the item I wish to remove: 270190479718

Last edited:
I was hoping some googling would find the service/repair manual for the 755 but I couldn't find it, found models around that time but not exact matches. I don't have the *best* technique but what I've done in the past is use my fingernails on the left and right side of the panel to pop up one both sides. From there it's very gentle raising to see if there's any additional latches and if so same technique with those.

I used to use a screwdriver or knife but found that easier to damage the casing. I haven't removed this specific model though but for most notebooks it's just the two latches on the side, possibly one in the middle then a few long tube/plastic parts that hold it in place (pulling *gently* straight up gets those off w/o damage).

- John

First, open the screen all the way, and remove the two plastic hinge covers on either side These just snap in place, so they pry off easily using a small tool. Next, locate the two screws hidden under the little round stickers between the keyboard and the screen. After removing these screws, gently pull/pry upward on the keyboard hinge cover. Removing this piece will expose the three ribbon cables. Very carefully, (they break easily), open the three connectors by moving the two parts apart (on mine, they are black/white, so I move the black part away from the white part, but YMMV). A small jeweler's screwdriver helps here, or a fingernail, if you have small enough hands. After they're disconnected, use the two screen latches on the sides (up front) to open/lift the keyboard out (just as if you were accessing the battery, drives, etc.).
Reverse the procedure to reassemble.

--T

I used to work at IBM as a college intern in 1987. Back then the only portables were the 5140's. By 1994 I was working at Zeneca and I supported IBM Thinkpads as part of my job, but we had a model just prior to the 755 series. It's been a while. Today I don't normally work with such "new" stuff, but I thought that because this was a computer from my past, and it's a neat Win 3.1 system, and I got it for free...I figured I'd try to restore it.
Bill

Unlike other laptops, you don't have to remove the entire computer piece-by-piece from around the keyboard.

Not sure how your's is configured now, but I know it can be easily upgraded. The cpu can go up to (allegedly) 100MHz, although I've never seen one. The 75MHz board ain't too hard to come by tho, (eBay, etc), and a 16Kb memory card will max it out to 20Kb, a right respectable Win 3.1 lapper. Good luck ever finding a good battery pack for it tho, but it ain't much of a job to swap out the cells.

--T

...The cpu can go up to (allegedly) 100MHz, although I've never seen one. The 75MHz board ain't too hard to come by tho, (eBay, etc), and a 16Kb memory card will max it out to 20[M]b, a right respectable Win 3.1 lapper...

My 755CD has the (Intel) 486DX4-100MHz CPU. Also I though I was able to get up to 40Mb of RAM (32Mb memory card in addition to what is built-in). I had W98SE (I know, too modern of talk for this forum) running pretty well on it.

Back