• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

At&t 6300(wooo!!!!)

Diapers....hehehe...

Hey Bill - reach out to a chap on ebay: larrysc310
ask him if he happens to have an H8 power supply.
Let 'im know I sent ya.

T

And if the kid in diapers is no use, I did hotline tech support of the PC63xx series for a number of years when I used to work at AT&T. :)

Ha ha, very funny :). I gained my knowledge reading book after book about the 6300 and by using one everyday for about a year and a half. My AT&T is vital to me. It holds all of my financial data(on HD and floppy) and I would trash my pricey Dell D600 before I would get rid of my 6300. It says alot, as I love my Dell. Anyhow, I'm sure we both have our specialtys on the machine. I never used any AT&T other than the 6300. I have a catalouge featuring other AT&T PCs of the '88 era.

Bill, about the thing reccomending you charge the battery with a 48 hour run. I don't know how long the battery will last. I know it will keep track of time(mine looses minutes, though. I just want it to be within the hour) for a few days for sure. I never left mine off longer than a week, and it did fine. When I get home from school(4PM) I turn mine on and at 11PM I turn mine off. I use it everyday for finances and typing papers, as mentioned previously. I also didn't mention something vital--The clock CANNOT go past 1992 without modifications(drivers). I have tried both the one Ahm gave me and another I found on the net. They only brought me to 1996. With some programming this could be fixed, or even hacking away at another clock driver, but I never tried. I just left mine in 1990. If you have an AST SixPackPlus, it has an onboard clock/calender. I never used mine for that function, but I'm sure it would work fine, after disabling the internal clock somehow. If you already max out at 640K before adding the card, contact me for the jumpers from a genuine manual for the SixPackPlus. Also, don't upgrade your DOS version without checking this link. You are on your own if you do, as I never tried it. I do have the disk it wants though, so I can send you the file. If it doesn't work, well that gives you an excuse to get a SixPackPlus. But I wouldn't imagine life without an extra around :). If you upgrade DOS and get stuck, and no ones advice helps, I can swap HDs and put DOS 5(or whatever version) on it to try to troubleshoot the problem at home by doing the exact steps you took. But that is just a plan for the future.

--Ryan

The clock CANNOT go past 1992 without modifications(drivers).

The issue is that the hardware clock only has 3 bits available to track the current year.
I suppose they didn't expect these machines to have been used for more than 7 years.

I have tried both the one Ahm gave me and another I found on the net. They only brought me to 1996.

That's weird, because the updated clock driver is supposed to let you specify a starting year and count from there.
I suppose if you left if at 1989, you'd only be able to get up to 1996.
But you should be able to do something like this:
Code:
DEVICE=C:\CLOCK402.SYS 2007

Code:
DEVICE=C:\CLOCK402.SYS 2007

Oh, OK. That makes sense. I will try that after school today. AT&T had stated they figured by the end of 1991 everyone would have upgraded their PCs. The one previous owner system I have was used until 1999! He then put it in storage for nearly 10 years before I got it. Battery still works!

--Ryan

Diapers....hehehe...

Hey Bill - reach out to a chap on ebay: larrysc310
ask him if he happens to have an H8 power supply.
Let 'im know I sent ya.

T

Thanks, I asked him. I seem to remember him blocking my original eBay user name, billlog (which I still use, though I use bill_loguidice more now), over a Commodore PET mix-up, so I don't think we have the best relations, but maybe he'll respond.

Ahm, I cannot thankyou enough for the code for clock.sys. I checked the clock402.txt installation instruction file, and sure enough, it is in there. Being a male, I never would of thought to check in there :). Seeing it was a .sys file I had just jammed it into my config.sys file without reading the directions. I guess I will do that next time I have trouble with something.

Bill, I forgot to include the DISKS in the list of what you should have. I have done that below. Depending on what year AT&T you have it will be different. I will list both what my DOS 2.11 and 3.2 AT&Ts have.

DOS 2.11

AT&T 6300 Mouse software Diskette
MS-DOS Supplemental Programs Diskette
Customer Test Diagnostics Diskette
AT&T 6300 Tutorial Diskette
MS-DOS/GW-BASIC System Diskette

DOS 3.2

MS-DOS System Diskette
MS-DOS Supplemental Programs Diskette
MS-DOS/AT&T Help Diskette
Tutorial Diskette
ScanWare Program Diskette 1, 2, and 3
Customer Test Diagnostics Diskette

You will have different versions depending on your DOS realease and year, which is why I didn't bother including version numbers.

--Ryan

Thanks. It will be interesting to see what exactly it has. Any experience with UNIX for the system? That would certainly be interesting. I was a bad SCO UNIX System V admin for a while back in the mid-90's...

I have no experiance with UNIX on the AT&T 6300, or any PC at all. But I have a box of UNIX disks for the AT&T 3B2, 6300 PLUS, and some UNIX 3.1 disks without a specification for any particular AT&T. It may work with the 6300, but I don't know. If you want, I can make copies of them.

--Ryan

Well, the system arrived, but I have not had a chance to go through everything. It came with a plastic disk folder full of disks, though beyond DOS and GW BASIC, I don't know how AT&T specific it is (looks like most of it is just standard PC DOS/Tandy stuff, which is not surprising). The only major disappointment was that of course the seller packaged the keyboard on the side of the heavy CPU, creating some cracks, chips and damaged plastic in the keyboard. Superficially the keyboard still looks like it will work, but I'm always disappointed when someone does something stupid and unnecessary like that. Even the two boxes everything came in had softer bottoms rather than fully rigid ones. I'll try to do actual testing tonight or tomorrow to see what's what.

The CPU (with two 5.25" disk drives and big rear-fan) is surprisingly heavy, while the monitor is rather light. I guess it makes sense since the CPU powers the monitor. Fingers crossed everything works as it should...

What a shame! I hate it when sellers do that! That's like a car salesmen scratching the paint of your new car with it's own keys! I only have one extra keyboard I am looking to get rid of, but about 1/4 of it is a dark mustard yellow. If you want a new top for your case(serial numbers are NOT on the top, no worry about matching) contact me. I have a parts AT&T laying around. It has the lens on it for an internal HD with no front cover on it, but that is removable one way or the other. I also have all of the original disks I could spare so you can have a truly AT&T setup. I am surprised it has PC-DOS/Tandy DOS software. I have never used either. I am looking for an original IBM DOS disk though, any version. Let me know if it works! I have a dual disk model, too. The pic above is out-dated. It is a picture of my dead AT&T, the one I am parting. To keep things original, I added an external HD to my AT&T, to keep things original. I even gave it it's original top back. It matches the yellow of the monitor anyhow. The monochrome monitors are surpisingly light, as you mentioned. All phosphor monitors I have handled have been light, though. I don't use my phosphor monitor with my AT&T, though. If I did that I couldn't run my AT&T all day without unplugging the monitor. If this were back in older times, I would, but only becuase it would have all the use of modern computers. By that I mean It's battery would stay charged with use and I wouldn't have to worry about screen-burn. Staying on that topic, does anyone know if an older color monitor can get screen-burn, or is that only common with phosphor monitors?

--Ryan
EDIT: I looked back at the pics and that IS the original setup. I had thought I pictured my other AT&T. I will leave the previous text, though, as to not confuse people and to leave it intact for when it is archived and stumbled upon in the future...

Yeah, I've had that happen to me multiple times, especially with monitors and keyboards! It did not come with original DOS disks, but I may have an extra or two. Remind me in a PM when you think of it and I'll take a look.

Bill, the keyboard port is for a mouse. PM me if you are intrested in buying an AT&T one. It is a standard serial mouse. That appears to be an older 1984 model. Mine is, too. I think you could get it with either 128K or 256K standard back then. Mine had 640K which had a card that gives it the boost from 384K of memory on it or something like that. Nice find. It appears to of used to have a hard drive. If you want, I will scan pages of my manual so you can get dip switch settings so it doesn't look for the disk everytime. Mine has DOS 2.11 as well. I can only give you copies of 2.11, but can give you geniune 3.2 disks. That door on the AT&T leads to nothing. I THINK it may have something to do with attaching the optional AT&T sidecar of the day. I imagine you have the original keyboard ROMs which are socketed into the keyboard. Mine has had an upgrade, but the owner kept the original. With the original it takes a bit more room to scroll across the screen with the mouse, on the updated it takes only 3 inches. I don't feel like grabbing out that info packet, but if your keyboard ROM says anything other than 1.0 you should be fine. I can't seem to remember how to open the keyboard to check, but I will grab the manual if you want me to tell you how. Pop off all the keys(don't worry, no special springs) and give them a cleaning! If I were you, I would stick them in a glass of water and dawn for 30 minutes then wipe them clean. Make note of where they are, or even better take a picture. I have pictures of the keyboard if you don't want to take out the camera. Have fun with the AT&T! They are cool little systems. If I ever become bored of it, I just read the manual for it or run the tutorial. I have a billion of them with manuals as well. Fun stuff! Run the parts info for that modem and lemme know the baud rate. Mine has a 1200 baud card. Better than the 300 baud Tandy card I have!

--Ryan
PS: Contact me via PM for software needs. I also have Windows 1.03 abd Works 3.0. I use Windows to access my modem. When...IF you run the info on that modem, be sure to note what COM port it is set to. Mine is COM 2. It isn't a hassle to just test the ports until you get it right, but I like to know for sure. I am excited for you, Bill!

By the way, what CPU do you have? I have a CPU-2 in my 1984 and CPU-3 in my dead '86. I have another AT&T in West Virginia, but when I put it into the shed I was unknowledgeable and dumb. I need to get that shipped down here. I do not know there was ever a CPU-1. I know the difference between CPU-3 and CPU-2, though. CPU-3 can run CP/M. I checked in my first issue maintenance manual and it says nothing of CPU-1 or CPU-3. When it came out only CPU-2 exsisted for it. I noticed what I said about the door on the side of the unit was correct. It physically joins the unit and expansion unit. I am sure you have a CPU-2. I noticed AT&T has a few different CPU manufacturers. I have seen NECs in them(not v20s, though) AMDs and Intel processors.

--Ryan

Bill, the keyboard port is for a mouse. PM me if you are intrested in buying an AT&T one. It is a standard serial mouse. That appears to be an older 1984 model. Mine is, too. I think you could get it with either 128K or 256K standard back then. Mine had 640K which had a card that gives it the boost from 384K of memory on it or something like that. Nice find. It appears to of used to have a hard drive. If you want, I will scan pages of my manual so you can get dip switch settings so it doesn't look for the disk everytime.

I have a standard serial mouse (came with the retail Blitz BASIC package from a few years back), so I imagine that would work fine based on what you've just said. This system (as you can see in the screenshots) reports 640K, but I don't really see any add-on for it. Interesting. I think I have the DIP Switch settings too as I seem to recall seeing something like that in the ROM BIOS upgrade manual that I photographed.

Speaking of the keyboard, I wonder if that extra cover is for the keyboard's serial port? That would make sense actually as it would have been knocked off when that area was damaged in transit. I'll have to verify that later, but it seems obvious now.

Mine has DOS 2.11 as well. I can only give you copies of 2.11, but can give you genuine 3.2 disks. That door on the AT&T leads to nothing. I THINK it may have something to do with attaching the optional AT&T sidecar of the day. I imagine you have the original keyboard ROMs which are socketed into the keyboard. Mine has had an upgrade, but the owner kept the original. With the original it takes a bit more room to scroll across the screen with the mouse, on the updated it takes only 3 inches. I don't feel like grabbing out that info packet, but if your keyboard ROM says anything other than 1.0 you should be fine. I can't seem to remember how to open the keyboard to check, but I will grab the manual if you want me to tell you how. Pop off all the keys(don't worry, no special springs) and give them a cleaning! If I were you, I would stick them in a glass of water and dawn for 30 minutes then wipe them clean. Make note of where they are, or even better take a picture. I have pictures of the keyboard if you don't want to take out the camera. Have fun with the AT&T! They are cool little systems. If I ever become bored of it, I just read the manual for it or run the tutorial. I have a billion of them with manuals as well. Fun stuff! Run the parts info for that modem and lemme know the baud rate. Mine has a 1200 baud card. Better than the 300 baud Tandy card I have!

--Ryan
PS: Contact me via PM for software needs. I also have Windows 1.03 abd Works 3.0. I use Windows to access my modem. When...IF you run the info on that modem, be sure to note what COM port it is set to. Mine is COM 2. It isn't a hassle to just test the ports until you get it right, but I like to know for sure. I am excited for you, Bill!

Thanks for the generous offer, but I actually have boxes and boxes full of era-specific disks to go through still that I've acquired over the years. I'm sure I have most, if not all of that in there and then some. Thanks again for all the help!

By the way, what CPU do you have? I have a CPU-2 in my 1984 and CPU-3 in my dead '86. I have another AT&T in West Virginia, but when I put it into the shed I was unknowledgeable and dumb. I need to get that shipped down here. I do not know there was ever a CPU-1. I know the difference between CPU-3 and CPU-2, though. CPU-3 can run CP/M. I checked in my first issue maintenance manual and it says nothing of CPU-1 or CPU-3. When it came out only CPU-2 exsisted for it. I noticed what I said about the door on the side of the unit was correct. It physically joins the unit and expansion unit. I am sure you have a CPU-2. I noticed AT&T has a few different CPU manufacturers. I have seen NECs in them(not v20s, though) AMDs and Intel processors.

--Ryan

It's definitely a CPU-2. I was wondering what that meant! I imagine that the CPU-2 model can run CP/M, because the original PC can run CP/M-86. Perhaps CPU-3 is for Xenix (Unix)?

Yes, the cover is for the serial port. The cover is sensitive and breaks easily. My other AT&Ts keyboard cover is broke off, but it too has a mouse. You will need mouse software if you want a mouse in programs with no specific AT&T mouse support. Windows 1.03, a version with additions to support the 6300, fully supports the mouse without software. Works 3.0 and Reflex, a database system, does not without loading the driver. I am pretty positive it is only the CPU-3 that supports CP/M. I can't seem to find the notes about this in my manuals, but I know I read it somewhere.

--Ryan
Still looking for hard evidence

Yes, the cover is for the serial port. The cover is sensitive and breaks easily. My other AT&Ts keyboard cover is broke off, but it too has a mouse. You will need mouse software if you want a mouse in programs with no specific AT&T mouse support. Windows 1.03, a version with additions to support the 6300, fully supports the mouse without software. Works 3.0 and Reflex, a database system, does not without loading the driver. I am pretty positive it is only the CPU-3 that supports CP/M. I can't seem to find the notes about this in my manuals, but I know I read it somewhere.

--Ryan
Still looking for hard evidence

It has mouse driver disks in that disk box it came with, so I imagine those would work, particularly if patched into a boot disk.

I can't think of a reason why CP/M-86 wouldn't work, as it supports both 8086 and 8088 processors. If it didn't work, I'd certainly be interested in the specific reason why (speed, memory, etc.) as it would be quite fascinating to know...

Nope, I think it can be an NEC, Intel, or AMD. The AT&Ts did not come with an NEC v20 standard. Whether or not Bill's has one added, I don't know. CP/M 86, seems it is designed for the processor, should work. I did not know it was designed for that. But if a program or OS required a Z80, the CPU-3(also known as CPU-3Z) is what you want. Speaking of NEC v20, I recently learned my IBM 3270 has one!

--Ryan

Back