• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zen and the Art of Computer Maintenance

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I recently reread a book which I hadn't looked at in almost 30 years but was enamoured of at the time. One of those books you keep because you want to reread it sometime. It was " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig.

It's really a book on a philosophy of life, but it approaches that as motorcycle repair. In reading it again I thought how apt much of his approach is also to computer repair. In one part of the book he quotes an opening statement of a maintenance manual for bicycles.
"Assembly of Japanese bicycle requires great peace of mind" to the great hillarity of his audience, who had like most of us experienced the assembly of kits using asian directions. Later on he expounds on this theme of approaching a repair with "peace of mind".

Many times when trying to fix some vexing computer problem, I'd get more and more frustrated, and more and more irritatedly frantic and botch the whole job.

Recently I inserted an old driver floppy in an L-T I was working on. It couldn't be read and I found when I ejected it the cover plate was lost in the innards of the FDD. I angrily managed to extract it after many tries and then found that the FDD had a hum and wouldn't read any disks. I was ready to toss the thing but gave myself some time and approached it again. It was a removeable drive and looking at it saw no screws. I found that I could pry the casing apart and that a wire protruding from the back was the floppy cover spring which must have been grounding. I reassembled it and it worked without problem.

By walking away from the problem I was able to solve it with that "peace of mind" approach.
One of the things I have learned over years in ressurecting computers is that sometimes just leaving it alone for a time allows you to approach it again "fresh" with "Peace of mind".

Lawrence

Last edited:
Yes as I keep trying to tell my wife, "There is no point getting angry with an inanimate object" I would go further and say that machines are a pretty good mirror for anger, It's taken me a good few years to learn, but If I get angry, I always get hurt, and nearly always break the thing.

I recently reread a book which I hadn't looked at in almost 30 years ..." Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig.

Thank you for reminding me Lawrence; that was one of our reading assignment books
in college, and I had planned to read it again at an appropriate time.

ziloo

Back