• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My first computer

...the first computer I owed was a clone 386-33 by FujiKama.

My first company was nice enough to buy it for me and even splurged on a Maxtor 8380(?) and WD ESDI controller (2 grand for the drive and controller).

I still have PARTS of it around
----
FujiKama - now there's a name from the past. I've still got a few of their boxes that I'd built and sold to clients and then got back when they upgraded; in fact, just threw one out yesterday. Need any parts to recreate that special "first computer" of yours?

Although I got to play with various Burroughs systems as a contract programmer, the first computer I actually bought was an 8K 2001 PET; still have that as well.

mike

Wow.. bet Erik didn't expect this thread to come alive out of nowhere lol. I've said it a lot of other times so I won't go into detail but yeah our first computer for the family was a Zenith Data Systems 8088 (a 151 dual floppy desktop). Now it has a 40 or 60MB drive (I think it's actually a 40 that I ran stacker on). But the important thing is yes, I still have it so I'm one of the lucky few to still own my first computer as well.

- John

Nige, ever think of just building a house at the dump?

I'm sure land values would be low and it'd save a lot of travel time. :)

Mike, I have the original case and a couple of the original motherboards (don't know where the hell the second one came from, but they are the ones that you could put 12MB of 1 MB SIMM (got those too) and 36 1MB DRAM (also have these) in to get a whopping 16MB)

I don't have the Maxtor 340MB ESDI but I do have a ESDI controller but not the original (I think) Adaptec.

With the drive, I could put the (mostly) original system back together and stick all those magnetic advertisements you get in the mail on them LMAO.

Hi
My first was a Poly88. It could run a tape at 2400 baud.
I had both TinyBASIC in ROM and a 8K BASIC I loaded from
tape. It was not a MS BASIC either.
Then, I suspect this system was before 90% of the people
on this list( maybe 95% ).
Dwight

Ok, well my first computer was a Osborne 1 (DD/DS disk drives) running CPM.
My father purchased it to use for his company, and of course not knowing anything at all, he thought the portability of the system was important since he travel a lot (sales).

Just after I got back from the Army, he picked it up, and after a week or two of him trying to do everything on it, he made it my job to set up his company on it. Right around the same time my girlfriends Dad bought an IBM PC, which I wanted, but I was pretty stuck with the Osborne. Not that it wasnt a great system, but I hated the keyboard and the screen.... lol.

Anyways, after a couple of months I picked up a Eagle PC for myself, and I was off and running. Sold the Eagle and got a PC/AT and a C64 for playing on. I had moved on from working for my Dad and I was working as at a car repair place, and leaning Dos at night. My first computer job was supporting several Dos apps (DoubleDOS, Disk Optimizer,).

Somewhere along the line I got addicted..... errrrr interested in collecting them. :)

Back