• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 3000HD collectibility

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Since I value the knowledge and opinions of the regulars here, I'd like to know your thoughts on how collectible the Tandy 3000HD is, generally speaking.

I know condition, operability, accessories etc. vary the price of a computer, but, the gist of this is would it be worth someone shipping me one to fix and then having me e-bay it for them and ship it from here?

Thanks in advance

As you prolly already know, they were pretty popular with their owners, but their rather short production run makes them a little scarce, so it could go either way on any given day. That's a tough one to call, I could only give it a 50/50 chance. As for collectability, I wouldn't mind having one for my collection, mostly for nostalgia. One of my early boxen was a 3000NL, also a very nice machine in spite of it's minor Tandy-centric eccentricities.

--T.

You know, somewhere I have a copy of the Tandy Xenix for that puppy.
I'm almost certain it's for the 3000 series.

I just ran across it before I flew to LA, but now I can't find it.

I don't know how collectible they are, but if I can find this and send you images, I'm sure we can make it a more interesting piece ;)

T

T, you don't have ROOM for a T3KHD :) You're right though, they didn't make them for long and, at work, it was my favourite system for doing the depot paperwork.

I couldn't find ZIP about anyone having sold one but, I now know how much a battery for one costs and how much a an advertising poster of one costs.

So, I guess that could mean that either no one wants one, or they only come up extremely rarely. Problem is, which one is it?

This one is nice, all original, EGA card, keyboard, manuals, some software and even a non-Tandy EGA monitor available for it. The problem with it is just a memory mis-match, but, when you're dealing with someone to whom a Pentium 1 is vintage, well.....

Tony, some image of the Xenix disks WOULD make it considerably more interesting.

Keep the opinions coming, people.

I would be interested, but the shipping would probably make it prohibative. The seller would want to cover shipping to you, and you'd want to cover shipping both ways.

Where is the original seller? That aside, if anyone near New Jersey has a 3000 for sale or trade let me know. I've got just about every non-pc Tandy made, and now I'm working on the PC line.

Kelly

Dru - found the disks...
I had written on them "Xenix V/286" and "25-4201"

Googling Tandy 3000HD Xenix brings up:
http://www.bilancia.org/articles/12.htm

which says this Xenix is for the 3000HD.

I'll be danged if you aren't a lucky puppy.
(6) 1.2MB 5.25" high-density floppies.

Interested? I can TeleDisk them up for ya...

T

Tony, thanks for going to all the trouble. I know how busy you are travelling all over Hell's Half Acre.

Hang on for a bit until we figure out what we are doing with the damn machine. It's a tough call shipping a 3000HD around North America when you can't determine if the reason that you don't see any for sale is because a) no one wants them or b) you have to pry them out of the owners cold dead hands LOL.

Dru

It's cool - I try to take care of folks as I can.
Besides, I ain;t travelling for quite a While! Let's see...

march 21? Yup - long way off! ;)

Course, after THAT, man, I don't know WHAT I'm gonna do - no "scheduled travel" until about 2010, dry docks notwithstanding!

T

Funny stumbling into this thread, since I rescued a pair of 3000NL's from the dumpster this morning. Dont know a thing about either one of them, but I will take a look when I get home. :)

Anything I should know before I try and jump into getting these puppies up and running?

Thanks!
MrC

Funny stumbling into this thread, since I rescued a pair of 3000NL's from the dumpster this morning. Dont know a thing about either one of them, but I will take a look when I get home. :)

Anything I should know before I try and jump into getting these puppies up and running?

Thanks!
MrC

No, nothing special, standard AT keyboard, no assembly reqiured, just the usual "if it hasn't been started in 20 years, watch out for the caps in the power supply"

No, nothing special, standard AT keyboard, no assembly reqiured, just the usual "if it hasn't been started in 20 years, watch out for the caps in the power supply"

...and the memory expansion gotcha. The mem can be upped to 1mb on the mainboard (using 2x (8?)-bit-wide chips, plus a parity chip), then anything over 1mb is on a proprietary board. Not sure if the 3000 is the same as the 3000NL. I do have a couple of the mem boards for the NL somewhere in storage...

--T

Hang on for a bit until we figure out what we are doing with the damn machine. It's a tough call shipping a 3000HD around North America when you can't determine if the reason that you don't see any for sale is because a) no one wants them or b) you have to pry them out of the owners cold dead hands LOL.

Dru

Prolly c) all of the above...

--T

...and the memory expansion gotcha. The mem can be upped to 1mb on the mainboard (using 2x (8?)-bit-wide chips, plus a parity chip), then anything over 1mb is on a proprietary board. Not sure if the 3000 is the same as the 3000NL. I do have a couple of the mem boards for the NL somewhere in storage...

--T

"If you are using the optional TANDY Memory Expansion Board, you need to
move the standard 512K RAM (two 256K SIMMs) in Bank 0 on the main
logic board to Bank 0 on the expansion board (1MB-5MB configurations) or
remove them from the system completely (8MB configuration)."

"If you are using the optional TANDY Memory Expansion Board, you need to
move the standard 512K RAM (two 256K SIMMs) in Bank 0 on the main
logic board to Bank 0 on the expansion board (1MB-5MB configurations) or
remove them from the system completely (8MB configuration)."

Well, I was kinda close...damn Ol'Timerz...

--T

MrCoffee,

As was already stated, the NL is a pretty bog standard AT-class PC, with the exception of the memory expansion board which yours may or may not have. The one I used to have came with a VGA adapter so there's a good chance the ones you found will be VGA also... In which case you just need an AT keyboard and VGA monitor.

Also, If you are willing to part with one of the NL's, I am VERY interested in acquiring one. Please let me know. My email is supertzar AT supertzar dot net

Thanks.

Back