• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The joy of showing off your collection

tezza

Veteran Member
One of the things I enjoy about this hobby is showing off these old models to “normal” folks.

Over the past few weeks, we’ve had a few visitors and usually I’ll drag them up to the computer shack above the garage and show them a few of the items. I always get a kick out of this because, without exception, they have been amazed and gobsmacked.

Because you kind of “live” this hobby and/or have been involved with them right from the early days at work, it’s easy to forget that most people have never seen vintage gear. To quite a number of my visitors, their first exposure to computers was with a 486 and upwards.

Items I always show them are the Osborne 1 (OMG, that’s a computer?? - positively Jurrasic!), the Spectravideo (Kitchy and cute), the TRS-80 Model 100 (so light and no boot-up time!), the Compaq SLT 286 (my god, is that brick a laptop??!), the Aquarius (even some old computers were toys huh?) and the System-80, which has a built in cassette deck (you mean, computer programs were kept on tape??? - WTF!!??)

I know at computer shows, people often show rare models off to other collectors. There is fun in that too. However, showing off common vintage machines to those who know nothing about where micros have come from, can be rewarding. My visitors seemed genuinely interested and intrigued.

(Of course they could just be humouring the “old boy” and feigning interest.;) Even so, it’s fun!)

Anyone I show my older stuff gets a "wtf, why?" look on thier face. I guess only a few of us can appreciate the beauty that is vintage hardware.

Anyone I show my older stuff gets a "wtf, why?" look on thier face. I guess only a few of us can appreciate the beauty that is vintage hardware.

One of the things I've found is you have to actually "sell" the idea to people before they "get it". Initially, people tend to think it is a weird hobby. However, I discuss with them the parallel between vintage computers and vintage cars. Given the pace of change, vintage computers are a lot older in "development" years than many vintage cars! Many people collect and restore vintage cars and they aren't considered weird. And most people get a kick out of old vintage cars, to see where the industry has come from.

They can also get a kick out of old computers if you have an angle, or story to tell them about it. For example, when showing off the Osborne 1, I always tell them the boom-to-bust story of flamboyant Adam Osborne, and the fact that it was advertised as the first computer you could store under an airline seat..lol. I think these human interest stories help other people appreciate that they are not just old wires and plastic.

The second thing I emphasise is that the microcomputers, and the IT industry spawned from them, was one of the two "revolutions" of the latter half of the 20th century which have transformed the way we live (the other was gene technology). Hence in collecting these things, we are preserving the seeds of that revolution.

Anyway, hopefully they go away with a greater appreciation of these old computers and with a feeling that maybe I'm not that weird after all.

That's not always guaranteed though :smile:

Last edited:
I just tell people I'm involved in top secret weapons research and if I tell them any more, I'd have to kill them.

Then they shut up and go away.

I'm fairly anti-social that way as I was tired of seeing that glazed look on their faces when I explained it to them.

Hi
I show some my oldest computer. I explain that it has
core memory. Most often that just get a question mark
face.
Even at work with engineers, I mention core memory
and few have any idea what I'm talking about. I often
wonder how they think they can be inventive when they
don't even understand the history of the industry they
are involved with.
Dwight

I don't show off my collection to anybody in real life, it is all in the basement and kind of messy. Besides I used to be into car stereo years ago, those that showed off their systems just invited somebody to come and steal it. Do you realy want to tell the locals that you have rare and valuable systems packed into your easily broken into home or garage?

Most people just don't care about computer collections, those that do do not live close by anyway. The internet is a great place to show off your collection to people who apreciate it, and won't come rob you.

I have to go with Unknown_K on this one. My house is a mess right now, and my collection isn't in a position to be displayed.

When I discuss my hobby of collecting old computers with even my fellow computer workers, I always end up getting that "head cocked to the side" kind of look. They just don't get it, I'm afraid! :)

I have to agree with the general consensus. When people see my "stuff" they consider me "MAD, totally mad" even if they are into (new)computers. The casual computer users give an indulgent look at my "stuff" and put me into a packrat category. Some more concerned family members ask what I am going to do with all that stuff. I generally explain that I was in a project to form a computer museum in Toronto that didn't work out(which is true) or " I sell it to a voracious vintage computer market" (Which is more of perception since I occasionally send out packages).

The only real "awe" I got was years ago when I showed some computer-literate people my "outmoded" IBM PC connected to a VGA monitor doing things their own ATs or 386's couldn't do. (I have an "Intell Onboard 386" in it as well as some other enhancements).

I've tried to show people some of the articles on major venues showing the popularity of vintage computers, but that just confirms my unfathomable geek weirdness. Kind of like a tolerated "gay" uncle. That just increases the pressure on me to vastly diminish my stuff before I "bite the bullet" as the time of my demise rapidly approaches and it all goes into the town dump in this technologically illiterate community, thereby proving they were right designating me as a junk collector.

I can well appreciate Terry's feelings as the date of foreclosure on his "computer hell" approached. My additional problem is my location away from any major population center.
"They(the locals)" just don't get it, but are otherwise an extremely frugal sort who discard little as opposed to the city-dwellers. No curb-side computers here.

I still enjoy some of my computers but am a bit burned out for reactivating older ones, since even keeping the trailing edge computers I use every day exhausts my energy not to mention answering the ordinary demands of upkeeping a 100-year-old house in a sometimes hostile-weather environment. As a wise man once said "Life is Struggle".
And Vintage Computers like art, are an indulgence, few Kudos except your own.

Lawrence

I take the point about theft. I only let people I know and trust see my collection. Fortunately we have a large rather scary dog (brindle Staffordshire terrier -Boxer cross) who roams the section during the day. Like some of my old computers, she ugly as sin and gets cranky with those not used to her. She seems to deter meter readers, religious evangelists and courier deliverers, so I would imagine burglars too.

One thing that crossed my mind is to someday in the distant future, ask our Science Museum in town if they would like to exhibit my collection. They do do this kind of thing from time to time. I don’t think they have ever had a vintage computer display. If they run with the idea I think it would be great! They have the necessary security and could help display them in a secure way. I could give an evening lecture or demo in the beasts if there is any interest.

Anyway, any plans for that are a long way off. I'd be relucant to show any machines that weren’t in mint condition and only about ½ the collection can be classified as that. In particular, the Atari 800XL, Osborne 1, the Colour Genie, Vic 20, Spectrum and Ohio Challenger could just be described as “reasonable” as far as outward appearances go. They are ok, but they look as if they have “lived” somewhat .

I don't show off my collection because of two reasons: the first reason is that most of it is nicely packed up in my old room at my parent's place and the second reason is that about 98% of the people I know, don't care one bit about old computers!

Last year I participated in an old computers exhibition in my town and I lent a few of my systems for that purpose. This year there's supposed to be a vintage computer festival and I will be attending as an exhibitor. That's about it for me :)

Cheers
SainT

Back