• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Osborne One FS

AntiqueSounds

Gang,

I figured I'd place this here as a starter. I have an Osborne One; Serial #247379. I want it to go to a good home. I dusted it off last night and it powers-up fine. The floppy (A) tries to read the boot disk, but I get a boot error. I tried all of the disks I have and it just won't boot C/PM. I think it's because all of the floppies are now bad. But if it isn't, then it's the floppy drive(s) that are bad. The drive spins, but it does not read a boot sector. I thought about opening it up and fixing the drive(s), but I figured most of y'all would enjoy this beauty as-is, and would easily fix it just like I would if I kept it.

The only thing that was ever wrong with it prior to this was that the keyboard plug was messed-up when I got it. I fixed it with a kludgy pin fix. I'd recommend that the new owner only unplug the keyboard when absolutely necessary. The pin will eventually wear out.

I also have the manuals and floppies (that may be bad) of Fortran, PL/I, Dbase III.

I could take pix, but y'all know what this unit looks like. And it looks just like it should. Let me know if you want me to take pix.

I live between Flint and Saginaw, Michigan. I can ship this, but it might take me a few days to pack it and it will cost some $$ to ship cuz of the weight.

Make me an offer or trade for a working way to punch Hollerith cards.

See? I am a newbie. I posted this in the wrong place initially.

Maybe the boot drive just needs to be cleaned and oiled? I had two of my vintage machines show this symptom and a lube job was all that was needed.

I was quick to blame the floppies, but actually they were ok.

Tez

Booting from right-hand drive

Booting from right-hand drive

To get an Osborne 1a to boot from the right drive:

1. Power on unit.

2. At the 'Insert disk in Drive A and press RETURN' prompt, simultaneously press the following two keys:
SHIFT key (either one), and the COMMA key that is above the RETURN key

Unit will then attempt to boot from right drive (which is now A: - left drive is now B:)

1. Power on unit.

2. At the 'Insert disk in Drive A and press RETURN' prompt, simultaneously press the following two keys:

Unit will then attempt to boot from right drive (which is now A: - left drive is now B:)

niiiice - I didn't know that!
Is that in all rom revisions? there is from like 1.2 all the way to 1.44 for the O1a...

Cool thing to know!

T

1. Power on unit.

Hooray! It works! Thanks! Now I just need to open it up and fix the drive A.
It's still for sale if anyone wants it. Cute little beast that it is! :cool:

I'll eBay the Osborne in a week if there are no takers.

I'll eBay the Osborne in a week if there are no takers.

I got no offers yet, so I'll eBay it in a week or so. I do want it to go to a good home. After all, y'all knew how to get it to boot from the B drive so you must love the babies! Shipping shouldn't be too bad. It's the machine, plus a box of software/manuals. Guessing about $50 to anywhere in US/Canada. Or pick-up in central-eastern lower Michigan.

Now I have C/PM, PL/I, DBase, Wordstar and everything! Thanks all! :)

Back