• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Northern California

eupeptic

I stumbled across a link to this site a few weeks ago while searching for information online on some of the old hardware I have stored in a few boxes (mostly XT through 486 motherboards and cards, plus several Seagate 20 or 40MB MFM drives), and this site looks like a great place where I can learn how to use most of it. ;) (I was only a kid during the 80s, and I don't have manuals for everything so I have limited knowledge about older hardware - though computers have always been an interest of mine [e.g., I was given the opportunity to help assemble a 486 my dad bought new from a friend of his when I was 11 or 12 - and the guy gave me a number of good tips.])

Unfortunately it's unlikely that I'll be keeping the hardware for much longer as I'll be moving in a year or so, so I'd like to see how much of it I can get to work (up until a few weeks ago I've barely touched any of it over the past 10 years, and I haven't had much success with the 386 and older motherboards. I also haven't done much more than look at most of the cards as I don't know exactly what I'm doing - though, for example, I have no trouble telling the difference between a floppy controller and a hard drive controller, and I did have several of the Seagate drives working 10 years ago), then I'll likely give much of it away to those of you who either live near me (I'm in Cupertino) or who will pay for shipping.

Lastly, I have an Intel dual 486DX 50 (with 16MB RAM on 2 full-length 8MB cards) that I imagine is worth something that my dad got from a guy who I believe worked at Intel (IIRC), and I'd certainly like to know more about it (I'll post more in another thread), and I may either give it to any of you who live nearby (or who will travel) and would be interested in it, or to a computer museum.

Welcome to the forums and, hopefully, we'll be able to give you a hand with some of your projects.

Erik will probably take it all and then dole it out to those of us that don't live in California when the time comes.

Welcome aboard. You've found the right place for help getting that gear running.

And as Druid6900 said, I'll be happy to help if/when you need to unload it. :)

Back