• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

extended test of my DOS IRC server! :)

when DOSIRCD is ready go public, i am also going to compile windows and linux versions. all i have to do is load it into FreeBASIC. it's about 99.9% compatible with QuickBASIC. the only changes i am going to have to make are to the TCP routines. i'll have to modify 'em to use winsock and the linux sockets interface, erspectively of course.

the rest of the code will work 100%. the only reason i'm not doing the DOS version with FreeBASIC's DOS compiler is that it's 32-bit only. i'd be out of luck if i wanted to use FB and run it on an 8088.

it MAY compile a 32-bit version for DOS as well, but i don't see a need for it. i'm not sure FB supports interrupt calls either, which i have to have to talk with TCPDRV.

wow...

DOSIRCD.BAS = 180KB source code

:eek:

erik, quick question for you... is there any way i could be given permission to close and/or delete just my own threads? just to start fresh now and then with the IRCD threads. i hate it when something goes on all in one thread and it ends up being like 50 pages!

thanks for the testing help guys. jorg and carlsson are on it 24/7, cool. i see that mbbrutman logged in at one point earlier this morning but nobody was here to talk to him.

i just wanted to tell you guys i'll have the server down for a little while. it will be up again later on in the evening. thanks again!

wait until you see the finalized web administration system. :D:D:D:D:D

when it's done i'll set up a password for anybody from here who wants to check it out. i think it's pretty slick so far if i do say so myself.

wow that was scary. i was freaking out for about 2 hours wondering why every time i ran my IRCD on the 286 it would accept one connection, then drop it and completely lock up. it worked perfectly when i ran it on my laptop and on a P4 desktop booted into DOS.

then when i turned off the TV after a while, i noticed the unmistakable sound of a 22 year old miniscibe... and realized that sure enough when i turned off my 8088, i goofed and only turned off the monitor. i turned the monitor back on and realized that i had run NTCPDRV on the 8088 using the same static IP as the 286.

homer.png

it's one of those days. i was ripping my hair out over this one for a while. :mad:

wait until you see the finalized web administration system. :D:D:D:D:D

when it's done i'll set up a password for anybody from here who wants to check it out. i think it's pretty slick so far if i do say so myself.

The server seems to be back up for the most part.

I see a King_Crimson and pj on the server with me.
The server is Mibbit-friendly! :D

Waiting for more people to come on and fill in the vaccancies.

I be Superdos... and no, it's not cause of the server, I've been using the name forever.

how are you gentlemen?

dosircd-online.jpg

thats from about 10 minutes ago :mrgreen:

/me is very very happy. what a nice surprise to wake up to it still working. no lock up lol. i had a feeling i finally fixed it last night when i changed a bit of the code. looks like i did! :cool::cool::cool:

i'm going to add banlists for channels today, kills, klines, chanserv/operserv/memoserv... then i think i can call it "done"

thanks to all of you who've been connecting!

unfortunately, i had to cut out all of the web browser interface code in the server. the code was getting too large to compile. it was about 200 KB with all of that, and the qb compiler kept running out of memory trying to make an EXE.

that would have eaten too many resources on an old DOS machine anyway. here's a nice shot from what i had going:

dosircd-web.png

i think i'm going to just revamp the user interface so you have a nice real-time GUI that lets you modify settings on the fly. possibly also a way for a special client app to connect and do that stuff remotely or just make a real nice telnet interface...

Nice job Mike,

Programming is such a satisfying intellectual challenge. I used to do a bit, with Quickbasic and the like back in the late 80s. Never even close to this kind of thing though.

In fact for a year (around 1988 or so) I would say I was obsessed, and would be thinking about my code every non-sleeping moment (and dreaming about it during the sleeping ones).

That was just before I got divorced. Hmm...maybe the two are related :)

Programming can hook you though.

Tez

yeah programming really is fun. on the other hand, everybody on this site including myself if a huge nerd so we probably don't enjoy the same things normal people do lol.

i love shattering peoples' conceptions of how powerful quickbasic is lol. the only thing that makes it less so than C is the fact that it doesn't let you work directly with variable pointers, although it would not be that complicated to write a bit of code that allows you to play with that.

a tiny bit of ASM would allow you to write routines that go directly into qb's memory area and modify where it thinks variables reside. :sly:

i'm going to have to try that eventually. i've thought about it a lot but have never bothered to try it.

unfortunately, i had to cut out all of the web browser interface code in the server. the code was getting too large to compile. it was about 200 KB with all of that, and the qb compiler kept running out of memory trying to make an EXE.

Don't let that stop you. I am sure that QB 7.1 allows overlays, or chained code, or something. It was supposed to be a business app compiler.

I can't compile MONOTONE in one single go either; the code is broken up into logical units. Your web code should be in a different file and compiled to a qlib or something (I don't remember, it's been two decades since I compiled qbasic).

yeah i was thinking about that. ive never written this big of a program i so i havent had to use.

here's a download link for what ive gotso far if anybody wants to try it.

http://www.rubbermallet.org/dosircd.zip

the code that manages permission to change user modes/chan modes it a little buggy right now. last night i deleted the code for that stuff and started it over because i thought it was too sloppy looking.

banlists don't work in this either.

Awesome!

Awesome!

Hey mike, just got in and I'm looking at the contents of the Zip file above. can i make a suggestion? Is it possible for the MOTD.IRC file to become a .TXT file instead? it sure would be easier to edit it in Windows if that was the case.

I see what you're doing with the servs and stuff... I was kinda disappointed to not see chanserv or memoserv operational though.

When I get home tonight from my week-long excrusion up in NY I'm going to start work on the computer that'll be running this all. it is INDEED going to be the P200MMX Compaq Cinema PC (Which I still forget the actual model of) that I mentioned about on your forum page. Either that or I'll find something else to run it on.
I'll take a look around my city, there's usually one or two yard sales selling a computer around. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and find one I can mess with like that IBM PC "Convertible" I got for $5 which never ran because the floppy drives were dead. (Good waste of $5 I'll say, they go for a buncha money on Ebay.) --it was thrown out sometime later.

but anyway, good work, and I'll see what I can accomplish from this monster of a program :D

that would have eaten too many resources on an old DOS machine anyway. here's a nice shot from what i had going:

--IMAGE REMOVED FOR QUOTING-

i think i'm going to just revamp the user interface so you have a nice real-time GUI that lets you modify settings on the fly. possibly also a way for a special client app to connect and do that stuff remotely or just make a real nice telnet interface...

I have some imput on this... wouldn't it be easier to have the web interface in there if you had more memory to compile? if I remember correctly there's a key in MS-DOS you can push to bypass the normal startup sequence and get more memory for compiling. :D Dunno if you've already done it or not though.

Anyway, it's been a couple of days. anyone tried it out at all?

I have some imput on this... wouldn't it be easier to have the web interface in there if you had more memory to compile? if I remember correctly there's a key in MS-DOS you can push to bypass the normal startup sequence and get more memory for compiling. :D Dunno if you've already done it or not though.

Anyway, it's been a couple of days. anyone tried it out at all?

well, i was doing that anyway already lol.

i'll figure something out because i really liked the web interface. like i was saying, i think i could probably put the code in a different .BAS file and call the code during runtime.

Back