• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compulsive parts hoarder

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
I'm really an archivist at heart. My personal interest is more in old parts than in old systems although I have some that are relatively complete. The collection of boards, monitors, modems, cases, drives, etc, takes up most of a large basement and is mostly centered around the XT to 386 years, although there is older stuff too. Somehow, I just enjoy this old technology and like to use it like Lego. Hopefully in the future I'll get around to sharing some of this with others (no I'm not into money) who can make use of all my extras. Arcnet anyone?

Although I've used Linux for some years now, when it comes to writing and file management it can't stand up to the speed and functionality of DOS on a TTL monitor. That's part of the reason why I like old computers. I love XTs but for practical reasons, my regular user is a Pentium 60 board which is over the top fast with the kind of software that I like, and even with a full compliment of TSRs, boots up in 15 seconds.

That's a bit about me. I'll be around. By the way, are there any people here who were on the old SurvPC list? I used to spend a lot of time there.

Cheers,
Ole

I'm really an archivist at heart. My personal interest is more in old parts than in old systems although I have some that are relatively complete. The collection of boards, monitors, modems, cases, drives, etc, takes up most of a large basement and is mostly centered around the XT to 386 years, although there is older stuff too. Somehow, I just enjoy this old technology and like to use it like Lego. Hopefully in the future I'll get around to sharing some of this with others (no I'm not into money) who can make use of all my extras. Arcnet anyone?

With someone who has a filing drawer system with labels like "serial/parallel", "RAM expansion", "Video cards (EGA and lower)", etc. I totally know how you feel :)

With someone who has a filing drawer system with labels like "serial/parallel", "RAM expansion", "Video cards (EGA and lower)", etc. I totally know how you feel :)

I plead guilty on all charges..

Last edited:
Drawers??? crates more like!

I haven't any arcnet, but I have a couple of PS/2 token ring cards, no PS/2 nor token ring hub, "just-in-case"

I suppose I ought to offer them up..... any takers?

I'm not organized enough for drawers. I've got four 18 U.S. gallon Rubermaid tubs in the closet over here, one of them has my ham radio parts in it, the other three have computer parts. I've got just about everything you can think of jammed into those tubs.

And why do I have three of them? Because the closet won't hold anymore! :-D

(and I wont even start on the boxes in the living room, or the boxes on the Metro rack here in the office!)

I have drawers and tubs full of Nubus, ISA, EISA, PCI, MCA cards. Most of my cards are installed into machines.

No arcnet here but I have been trying to setup a TokenRing network for my older gear. Anybody have a copy of Novel Netware 4.11?

Boxes. Lots and lots of boxes. All labelled and containing specific items such as "Controllers; Multi-I/O; VLB; Dual IDE; >= 33MHz"

Got ArcNet cards, got Token Ring cards (may have a hub somewhere), got 8-bit VGA cards, got 8-bit Ethernet cards, MAY have Jimmy Hoffa and the PiltDown Man in corners, somewhere.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the PPR forums :)

I must say, this is an active group considering the subject matter. That's good to see.

Re Re: "I'm really an archivist at heart": Yes Tinkerer, of course you can use the line.... but I've got even better excuses if you want!

Terry Yager said: "More like a curator..."
Yep, that's what I try for. I've got antiques going back a couple of centuries and I feel that it is important to preserve the past. Just like someone who can't even milk a cow will value a butter churn nowadays, someday someone who can't even format a hard drive (what's that?) will show off a 286 MB with pride. Times never stop changing.

Back