• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5170 ROM images...

geneb

Veteran Member
I've got an AT that I need to update the ROMs in - it doesn't have drive type 47, which makes things difficult. :)

Some time ago I saw a link to binary ROM images for the AT, but I can't find them any longer. Can someone point me to where I can find them?

tnx!

g.

I've got an AT that I need to update the ROMs in - it doesn't have drive type 47, which makes things difficult. :)
Some time ago I saw a link to binary ROM images for the AT, but I can't find them any longer. Can someone point me to where I can find them?
That link you saw may have been pointing to my website, which is presently down.
Attached are the images for the AMI BIOS which works in a 5170. That BIOS has a type 47.
ROMs can be created using standard 27256 EPROMs rated at 150ns (or faster).

Attachments

• BIOS_5170_30APR89_AMI_D286-1277-043089-K0.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks Modem7, I grabbed the file and burned a pair. I'll post back later with the results.

Tnx!

g.

Something to be aware of when swapping the BIOS in the 5170 (although this is somewhat applicable to other computers).
Sometimes after a swap, you need to clear the CMOS RAM by temporarily removing the battery for a few minutes, then run whatever is appropriate to set up the CMOS.

For example, sometimes with my 5170, if I replace the AMI BIOS with the IBM one, on the next power up of the 5170 there can be boot problems (eg. B: light comes on and stays on and computer is frozen). I have no doubt that it's because the AMI BIOS uses the CMOS RAM slightly differently to the IBM BIOS, and can put the CMOS RAM in such a state that 'confuses' the IBM BIOS.

Well unfortunately, it's become a moot point. The motherboard is stone dead. So dead in fact, I don't get any activity on my POST card beyond it telling me the power supply voltages are good. :(

Does anyone have an AT motherboard they'd like to part with?

g.

Well, on these forums, we've seen at least one 5170 motherboard repaired by replacing the ROMs, so maybe it's still a worthwhile exercise (although I'm assuming that your POST card is showing some activity - CLK, ALE, etc.).

New or old ROM, it's the same story. IRDY light on the card is on, but nothing on the display. I checked the card in a PC to make sure it worked and it threw codes like mad. :)

I found a P166 motherboard on ebay that will fit the case, but I'd eventually like to get a working motherboard again.

g.

Broken ROM BIOS file from www

Broken ROM BIOS file from www

>Website back up.
>http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/bios.htm

Hi.

I downloaded and checked IBM bioses.

I found the following BIOS file is broken.

IBM-PC (5150)
Second revision - 10/19/81

Broken area is from 005Ch to 008Ch (49 bytes)
So I fixed and attach this file.

File:BIOS_5150_19OCT81_U33.BIN
SHA1:bdb06f846c4768f39eeff7e16b6dbff8cd2117d2
CRC32:b7d4ec46

Attached

Attached

Sorry I forgot

Attachments

• BIOS_5150_19OCT81_U33.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 1
Back