• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

HP 95LX on ebay

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi

This is a good deal (that is, if you like handheld DOS machines)

I already have one. Keep in mind that it does not have CGA, only MDA. It has DOS 3.2 in ROM

Link here

Oh, and I am not the seller.. I just wanted you to know about this one, as it is a unique machie.

Last edited:
Not as high as the 200LX's use to go (100 - 150 +/-)

My guess is somewhere between 50 - 100, because it has so many accessories.

If there's a bid-war at the end, maybe even higher.

Here's one with Buy It Now for $79 Link

It has 512KB ram and it comes with the quick guide.

When I got mine 2 years ago, I paid $80. It was in mint condition, but it was only the unit and a charger. It was the 1 MB model.

I absolutely think that it's worth it.

I also have 2 HP 200LX's, one 4 MB model and one 1 MB model.

Man, that's a tempting auction!

I was outbid a couple times for LX95's on eBay. Then after I did some more research on it - I knew I wouldn't be happy with it and within a week I'd be wanting the LX100. The 100's were out of my range moneywise and even though the LX100 seemed to be pretty cool, I knew if I had one I'd be wanting the LX200 in a short time. I'm so finicky that way. Just never satisfied. But then if I became satisfied with stuff and things - I'd bore myself to death. So I researched some more and came to the conclusion the best balance between fit and form with me was going to be a Toshiba Libretto 50CT. For me that worked! I got DOS when I want in a very small package and also it runs Win95. Also, since the Libretto isn't so sought after as the HP's, the prices tend to be less. Mine was $30. So I have full color and although it doesn't just fit in my pocket, it'd be like trying to stuff a VHS tape in your pocket - it works for me :)

HP LX95 dimensions = 6 x 3 x 1
Toshiba Libretto 50 = 8 x 4 x 1 (roughly). Actual 8.27 x 4.53 x 1.34 inches.

picture.php

That LX95 with accessories, sure looks tempting though . . . .

I've also got a Libretto, but it's a libretto 100. I run Win98 SE on it now, and it has a TFT display, which makes it very good for dos based gaming (i grew up with that)

The 95LX has more of a sentimental value to me, because when I was a kid, a friend of our family had a 95LX, and everytime we went to visit them I was looking forward to play with the 95LX again.

I don't remember how old I was back then, but it was somewhere around 10 years old. He sold his many years ago, but I got me one as soon as I could afford one :) I plan to hang on to it more or less forever.

I also have the 200LX for more serious DOS use (DOS 5 with CGA :) )

I also have other mini-pc's, Vaio UMPC's , OQO 01, Olivetti Quadreno and a bunch of Handheld PC's (Jornada 728 and some Psions)

The auction has only 2 hours and 47 minutes left, and it's at $41 now. Go for it, Vint

I hear you on the 'sentimental value'. Most all my vintage gear has sentimental value, and little other value, I'm afraid.
I bought another gadget (that the wife doesn't know about yet), just the other day - so I really can't be coughing up any more dough to plop down on that LX95, as good as it may look with all those cool accessories. Oh well.

I hear you on the 'sentimental value'. Most all my vintage gear has sentimental value, and little other value, I'm afraid.
I bought another gadget (that the wife doesn't know about yet), just the other day - so I really can't be coughing up any more dough to plop down on that LX95, as good as it may look with all those cool accessories. Oh well.

Same for me, most of the items have a story behind them. Like my NEC D5126 MFM HDD's. It was the HDD in the first PC I owned, the first HDD I dissasembled and discovered what hard drives look like inside, and not to mention the startup sound it makes when it's spinning up and calibrating its heads.
That was the sound I heard when I turned on my first PC :)

As for the new gadget, what is it ?

It's off topic here but just to clarify. I bought a Kaito 1103 Shortwave Radio to listen to HAMS with, because it picks up SSB where my current Eton E10 does not. It's one of those 'I just have to have this thing', deals :)
Radios have always interested me and I've fiddled off and on with shortwave listening for almost 40 years now.

Getting back to that Libretto with stuff - it went for $68.99 less shipping.

It's off topic here but just to clarify. I bought a Kaito 1103 Shortwave Radio to listen to HAMS with, because it picks up SSB where my current Eton E10 does not. It's one of those 'I just have to have this thing', deals :)
Radios have always interested me and I've fiddled off and on with shortwave listening for almost 40 years now.

Getting back to that Libretto with stuff - it went for $68.99 less shipping.

What a great deal. I should have bought it myself, just for the flashcards and serial cable.. Oh well

I hear you on that "I just have to have that thing" I have a lot of things based on that :)

Problem with the 95LX, is the bulk of them are 512kb, lower res screen, dos 3.3 I think, and older PCMCIA standards.

Get a 100LX or 200LX, or you will regret it - it IS possible to find one cheap, with patience. I've been waiting for a few months, and a BIN popped up a few weeks ago for a 100LX for $70, and I got it.

Now I just need the cable, and I'm good.

The 100LX and 200LX will work with CF cards, when using a PCMCIA adapter, so space isn't an issue. This is NOT possible on the 95LX.

I had one of these YEARS ago (a 95LX) and it was super cool!
I got it around 1991 or so from a computer store I worked out.
HP worked out a 50% discount for us (store employess) as long as we pushed it.

Man, we sold like 50-60 in the first two weeks we received them!
They were THE hot commodity!

T

No, the tiny keyboard and the 40-column screen were my main beefs. The DOS 3, CGA and Type I RAM cards just added to the frustration.

--T

There's no CGA on this one, just MDA. It's a primitive machine, but still it's something that's worth having in a collection :)

No, the tiny keyboard and the 40-column screen were my main beefs. The DOS 3, CGA and Type I RAM cards just added to the frustration.

--T

T - I dunno what you expected in a computer smaller than the average novel!!! It wasn't exactly made for secretaries to touch-type on!

:mrgreen:

T

Ironically, I never minded the 40 col x 8 row screen on the Tandy 102 I did the majority of my typing on for several years, but I found the screen very annoying on the HP (Perhaps the size of the characters?). Anyways, I'll trade larger footprint for a usable kbd any day (I'm quite spoiled by my ZEOS, thank you (I'm sure you understand)).

--T

Last edited:
Ohhhh, I LOVE playing on the Zeos! Decent keyboard, decent screen, 80x25.
I do hate reaching for the <BS> and hitting the <power> key instead :)

Do like the Zeos - got 2 of the puppies now...
Gotta find some more SRAM cards, so lemme know what ya got.

I HOPE to get SOMETHING working futzing around with Card & Socket services, mebbe linear flash, hopefully CF.

I assume you want me to let you know if i am successful?!?

Can you imagine how cool a 64MB or 128MB CF would be in the Zeos?
I tried tssc.de's ata point enabler and universal point enabler, but they just freeze up the Zeos.

T

Back