• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help me test my FTP server...

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I'm trying to set up a small FTP server using Filezilla and would like for someone to log in and leave a small text file just saying they got in. I will look at the logs, but need *physical* proof.

ftp://75.54.102.140

user/pass: tester/tester

Port 21 should be open and everything ought to be okay right now. Then, if you could post here with the results to let me know that it worked or didn't. This may be a full time thing if I can get it to go.

Nathan

Last edited:
My router is limited, all there is is a checkbox to allow ftp through, and the server has the IP address bound to it.

So it isn't working. The firewall doesn't show any intrustions or atempts, so it's the router. Working on it.

I'm guessing that when it says "inbound outbound control" it is assuming that FTP is not a server. There's a good page on active passive FTP here: http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html but I honestly don't know a lot about networking so perhaps that isn't what you really need. Maybe just a new router. :(. Mike Chambers is the one around here who should know, since he just wrote a very functional server.

I looked at my router, and since it's pretty outdated and won't let me have FTP access in, that is the problem. I think I can pick up a new router pretty cheap, so I'll keep updating here.

from your screenshot i don't see anything that would allow you to run an internet FTP server, but of course i don't have full access to your router. you will either need to set up port forwarding to your FTP server machine, or configure that machine to be the DMZ host.

if you set it as a DMZ host, *BE SURE* to have the firewall on the computer itself turned on because DMZ stands for "demilitarized zone" and it allows all incoming packets that don't otherwise have some sort of rule set in the router to pass on to that computer.

if you don't have these options, you'll need a new router unfortunately. i reccommend just taking a spare pentium 1 if you have one around, and turning that into a router with two NICs. with linux and the proper software, you'll have much more flexibility than any store-bought consumer-grade router can provide.

if your router is wireless and you require wifi, you can still use it from behind a PC-based router. turn off it's internal DHCP server and connect it to your LAN and you can still use it to get your wifi devices connected. if you don't mind spending a little money, an even better option is getting a so-called wifi "router card" to put in the router PC.

I'm guessing that when it says "inbound outbound control" it is assuming that FTP is not a server. There's a good page on active passive FTP here: http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html but I honestly don't know a lot about networking so perhaps that isn't what you really need. Maybe just a new router. :(. Mike Chambers is the one around here who should know, since he just wrote a very functional server.

thanks for the nod! :p

i'm a somebody now! w00t.

Besides 21 and 20, you need to open up a forwarded passive port (your choice) in your firewall.
I use Cerberus ftp server, i can just choose the passive port (-range, but I use only one)

If I were you, I'd just buy a new router. They can be pretty cheap at goodwill/etc, and people occasionally give them away on craigslist.

Agree. I saw a LinkSys BEFSR41 at my local thrift shop yesterday for under ten bucks.

I enabled everything I could and still couldn't get anything through. I will bve getting a new router/modem, since this one is on its way out anyway. After too many restarts from changing settings, it becomes despondent and will not operate until it stays off for a while. I got this one from the thrift for $2, and for what it does it works okay.

I still want to run an FTP server program, so a new one will have to be got.

Nathan

Back