• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Technology you've never owned or used.

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
Technology you are aware of, heard of, but had nothing to do with.

For Me:

The following:

Any IBM PS/2 computer or MCA type computer, have never owned or even
touched a MCA card.

Any Computers that had ESDI in them, never seen, used or touched a ESDI whatever.

Anything to do with EISA

Never owned: Commodore 64 or used one.

That being said, I would like to own a C-64 and PS/2 IBM in new condition.
To add to the collection!
:-D

I have never worked with something that used either core memory or reels of tapes OR had a front panel with colorful switches (hint hint ;) )
Someday however I would like to own a PDP-8 with a DecTape drive.

Honestly though, I have never touched true CP/M hardware let alone ever got my hands on a copy of CP/M.

Technology you've never owned or used -

Technology you've never owned or used -

The Apple Macintosh came out in 1984. I've never used or owned a Mac, don't know a thing about them. Other than my Apple IIe and IIc, which run BASIC, I am totally unfamiliar with Apple Computers. Some people swear by them. Maybe that's swear at them, I'm not sure :)

The Apple Macintosh came out in 1984. I've never used or owned a Mac, don't know a thing about them. Other than my Apple IIe and IIc, which run BASIC, I am totally unfamiliar with Apple Computers. Some people swear by them. Maybe that's swear at them, I'm not sure :)

With Vista floating around, a MAC sure looks attractive don't it...

I have never used the old box, or anything faster than 900mhz. or a mac tho I have 2. bout sums it up:D

Technology you are aware of, heard of, but had nothing to do with.
...Never owned: Commodore 64 or used one...That being said, I would like to own a C-64 and PS/2 IBM in new condition.
To add to the collection! :-D

To respond to your other post, yes, a Mac does appeal to me lately, (Vista sure doesn't - I'll hang in there with Win XP as long as possible), and perhaps I'll nab an oldie Mac just to fiddle with the OS of it I know nothing of.

As for your never owning a C64, oh - those were the days. I spent 10 years with one! Ended up with over 300 of those old 5.25" disks full of stuff. Memories of Quantum-Link, Loadstar, GEOS, and local BBS boards keep flooding back.

If you're thinking about getting a Commodore, may I suggest the Commodore 128. It's like 3 machines in one! You can use CPM and 80 column mode, or as a 128k RAM 40 column system in BASIC or even revert to a common C64 mode with a 'go64' command. I really like my C128 :)

I second the C128, with all that available I finally got mine.

What I haven't used, 8" floppy drives, anything with reels or drums, minis or micros. Oh, and no kind of mainframe. Or an Atari portfolio, which would have been neat. That's the classic stuff.

With Vista the way it is and win7 coming, too, I am gonna stick with win2kpro until Billy himself comes to my door and persuades me to upgrade. But then I'd probably get another iBook. This one rocks and it's old, too.

Nathan

If anyones looking for a 128 and GEOS 128, I can help....

Macintosh systems 6 and 7(the only older Mac O/Ses I've used(excluding ProDOS)) are seriously just about the same in how the menus look, placement, interaction, etc, as Mac OSX 10.3.9. Only huge difference in menu placement is that OSX has a quick access bar at the bottom of the screen, unlike 6 or 7. Anyhow, the point is, if you're interested in newer Macs, I suggest you pickup a Classic or Classic II with OS/7.5.5(a very functional version of System 7) and try it out. Just imagine it in color and with a quick access bar.

As for me, I've never used a computer 1979 or below. I'd love to pickup an Apple II/II+ someday, as they seem pretty cool. I've also never used a Commodore computer(although I own 4 or 5), never touched an S-100 system(looking to save $1K or $2K for an Altair, though), and have never owned a vintage Compaq computer, but am looking in to purchasing a Compaq Portable/Plus/II someday. I crave the funtionality of a home computer thats in a box with a handle that weighs 35LBs.

--Jack

To respond to your other post, yes, a Mac does appeal to me lately, (Vista sure doesn't - I'll hang in there with Win XP as long as possible), and perhaps I'll nab an oldie Mac just to fiddle with the OS of it I know nothing of.

As for your never owning a C64, oh - those were the days. I spent 10 years with one! Ended up with over 300 of those old 5.25" disks full of stuff. Memories of Quantum-Link, Loadstar, GEOS, and local BBS boards keep flooding back.

If you're thinking about getting a Commodore, may I suggest the Commodore 128. It's like 3 machines in one! You can use CPM and 80 column mode, or as a 128k RAM 40 column system in BASIC or even revert to a common C64 mode with a 'go64' command. I really like my C128 :)

I had a IBM PC when the C64 was all the rage.

If I was to get a C64 now, I would never actually use it, just want one that is very newish for the hell of it.

:>

I second the C128, with all that available I finally got mine.

What I haven't used, 8" floppy drives, anything with reels or drums, minis or micros. Oh, and no kind of mainframe. Or an Atari portfolio, which would have been neat. That's the classic stuff.

With Vista the way it is and win7 coming, too, I am gonna stick with win2kpro until Billy himself comes to my door and persuades me to upgrade. But then I'd probably get another iBook. This one rocks and it's old, too.

Nathan

I have XP on my home made computer, 1 gig at 3.04 ghz, runs ok.

I have Vista 64bit on my Toshiba laptop, its a core2duo with 3 gigs.

I installed Photoshop CS2 32bit and Photoshop CS3 64bit, the 64-bit Photoshop was slower on the 64-bit Windows than the 32bit Photoshop.

I didn't do extensive tests.

Amiga!

Amiga!

Nerver Used or Touched any:

MAC or Apple system
1980's And down Pre 5150 Systems S-100 ECT
MCA PS/2
C64 or any commie.

I never touched an Apple II until the last few years, I didn't miss much lol.

In 1985 the best computer ever created The Amiga was available, technically superior to anything available at that time, too bad the company was run by morons and it went bye bye..

My earliest programming experience was with punch cards on a Burroughs mainframe at UCSD (San Diego) in the early 70's. Other than run the cards through, we weren't allowed to touch or even see the computer. But at least I got to punch the cards myself on a classic IBM console, not the case later on in New Zealand where they had an even older Burroughs with flashing neon lights, and wouldn't let me near anything.

But mostly I *haven't* had experience with just about anything other than PC's, but I did purchase a Mac once just to try Linux PPC on it.

I'm really glad I've been able to collect a few unix workstations however - another genre of highly-revered "expensive" computers I was not allowed to play with in their time. The mystery is gone now and the facade is down.

I just bought my first new TV since 1987, a 46" Sony LCD and a PS3 console to match. Couldn't resist - we have had HD broadcast since mid-year using h.264, and the increment in technology over analog is spectacular, even better than going from monochrome to color.

My first computer experience was with punch cards. I was a college student.

We weren't allowed near the hardware of course :)

Tez

But mostly I *haven't* had experience with just about anything other than PC's, but I did purchase a Mac once just to try Linux PPC on it.

Linux PPC is a technology I've never used but would like very much to. What's your take on it? Is there a decent amount of software available out there for it?

The list of things I haven't owned or used would take up several pages and probably break this forum's database. I'm almost always late to the party, it took me until 2001 to have a computer faster than 10MHz haha.

Re, Linux PPC, this was 10 years ago now and the Mac 8200-120 was even older. It did not run very fast at all. The only thing I was impressed by was seeing a colored linux duck when it started booting, something I don't think is possible on an older PC which boots in text mode.

Spend spend spend

Spend spend spend

My first PC computer was a IBM PC XT.

It came with 640k memory, 60 meg RLL HD, Monochrome Hercules Card and Amber Monitor, 360k Drive.

I upgraded through every inche of advances
CGA-EGA-VGA-2400-9600-14.4-286-386 and on and on..

The money blown!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Back