• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PC AT parts

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
Abruptly, I've decided I'm moving out of this cold-ass state and am headed back to Texas. I NEED to get rid of ALOT of stuff before January 1st, 2009.

I've got two IBM PC AT systems that don't work, and I'm parting them out. On one, the whole system gets power, but I get no beeps or display. On the second, no matter what PSU I hook to it, it does nothing. I've tested the PSUs and they both work. Here is the parts list I have, and want it all gone:

2 IBM PC AT 512K boards(one has black processor socket, other is blue)
1 360K drive, seems to be stock
2 1.2MB drives, seem to be stock
Two IBM PC AT cases is very good shape. Everything is there, both need school marks scrubbed off. I did it to my PC AT, so these two should be no different.
2 ST4038 30MB type 20 HDDs. One does all the testing sounds, the other just spins.
2 IBM PC AT PSUs, working
2 Parallel/serial cards

Make me an offer on all or some. What doesn't get bought in the next 2 weeks will be thrown away in random dumpsters around town. Will accept any reasonable offer. I also have one or two(maybe 3) IBM PC AT keyboards I'd like to get rid of. If nobody buys them, I'll cram them in the car somehow. I can't throw them away.

--Jack

Count your lucky stars I pulled all this crap out and took pictures.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/UniversalRiot/FOR%20SALE/

The computer that has the tags on the front(and a missing IBM tag) is a working 486. I've tested it power on, and displays 8MB RAM. WILL NOT TEST ANY OF THIS STUFF FURTHER. If I was looking to get alot of money I'd put this crap on eBay, and would sell the 486 as an "ultimate DOS gaming system" or something like that. But regardless, I just want the stuff gone at a reasonable price.

--Jack
NOTICE: I've located another PC AT(pretty bad when you find something you didn't realize was there) that seems to work. It powers up and beeps twice--needs setup ran. Has what looks to be a stock 1.2MB drive and a yellowed faceplate below it. No video displayed, no strange noises other than the clackety-clack of the disk drive when it seeks track 0. Probably needs a video card.

Last edited:
Yeah, I tend to do it alot. You see, all my life I've been torn between my mother and father who live 1.235K miles from eachother...Anyhow, I'm forcing myself to stay down in TX once I get there...I can't bear to have to part with so much again. But the cold weather here sucks, and so many more reasons.

Anyhow, everyone rest assured that the rare goodies, books, sofware, and most of the C= stuff will be salvaged, even if it's in a tote box on top of the FJ. No set price on this stuff, just make it worth my while. I should warn you all, I'm seeing what strings I can pull to be gone shortly after Christmas. Regardless, the 2 week period will likely hold true unless I get tired of looking at it all 1.5 weeks in. Act now, reserve now, whatever.

--Jack
PS, for those who don't know, with my mother I am Jack and my father I am Ryan. After the move, I will begin signing "Ryan" again.

EDIT: LOL, so I look down and see a box, and say "ooh, a box, I wonder what's in it!". So as if that's not bad enough, I open the box, and find I've never opened it before. Within, a Winchester floppy card and drive, and a Miniscribe type 38 MFM HDD with it's matching card...pretty cool, eh? Furthermore, there is a ginourmous cooling fan that looks like it belongs in an IBM PC AT PSU, with the cage. It has a normal fan connector, maybe I'll add it in to my PC... WOW! I've also found a battery for my PC AT! Lets plug it in and see if it works! Alas, I've installed it and the battery works nicely.Yay!

Last edited:
I've not had a single inquiry about an AT yet. I've got ONE that seems to work, but isn't displaying video. It goes through the standard err161 beep(time/date not set), and the HDD sounds good, but I get no display. Could be video card, or maybe the default for the AT is thinking it has a color display, and all I need to do is memorize the setup options(actually, I have for the most part) and tell it it's a mono display. Anyhow, I'm not testing it any further than that. Once it's in the "sell" pile, it aint getting out unless it's in a box headed for the post office or being thrown down the hillside to the car. I must admit, there are a few things in the pile I'm going to keep if they aint gone soon, such as the Commodores and an XT/AT or two.

--Jack

Don't know if you know but there is a switch on the Mobo by the power to switch it from a Mono to color!

I've not had a single inquiry about an AT yet. I've got ONE that seems to work, but isn't displaying video. It goes through the standard err161 beep(time/date not set), and the HDD sounds good, but I get no display. Could be video card, or maybe the default for the AT is thinking it has a color display, and all I need to do is memorize the setup options(actually, I have for the most part) and tell it it's a mono display. Anyhow, I'm not testing it any further than that. Once it's in the "sell" pile, it aint getting out unless it's in a box headed for the post office or being thrown down the hillside to the car. I must admit, there are a few things in the pile I'm going to keep if they aint gone soon, such as the Commodores and an XT/AT or two.

--Jack

Didn't know that, I'll keep it in mind...hmm... The more you know.

I guess if I'd've looked in my AT Tech Reference manual I may have known that, but I didn't think to. Although, I was quoting someone a shipping price, and didn't have any measuring tape around, so I opened the AT Tech Reference manual, discovered the AT keyboard is 21.6 inches long, and used it to figure roughly the size of box I'd need for the monitor. LOL.

--Jack

Is it really that cold in WV? I thought it stayed fairly warm down there....if you were a few hundred miles closer I'd take at least one AT off your hands!

It's cold enough anyhow. Been in the high twenties with a few inches of snow. It's usually in the high 30s to mid 40s this time of year, and snow not until early January. It's no the OUTSIDE that bothers me too badly, it's how cold it is INSIDE--55F in my room right now, 44F on the floor. My feet take a good amount of time to finally thaw out in the shower when they are that cold all day long.

--Jack

Why so cold, live in a trailer with only a space heater?

My problems in winter is my room gets too hot (door closed, stereo on, a computer and 19" CRT, maybe a tv on). Ohio here and it get cold enough.

LOL Terry, it might be that bad in the backcountry, but I live in a city of 400 or so.

No, I live in the bottom floor of a 2 story 3 bedroom 2 bath house built in the late 1800s. The house is built into the side of a mountain, and I got the biggest room, which, as it turns out, is the coldest as the entrances to two cellars are right in my room, part of which is in the ground. No insulation whatsoever, and the house is sitting on large boulders(rednecks put it on them for a foundation). We can't afford to keep the heaters where they are at now(gas in family room, electric in the bedrooms), but we do anyways.

I keep my high-end PC on 24/7, and a 21" Gateway2000 Vivitron21 on most of the day. Electric heater stays on high 24/7 as well. Sometimes have a tube radio on during the day, and for a few hours before bed I have a 60w lamp on. A mix of the cold-ass ground and being built into the cold-ass-mountain is what does it. That and not having insulation.

--Jack

LOL Terry, it might be that bad in the backcountry, but I live in a city of 400 or so.

No, I live in the bottom floor of a 2 story 3 bedroom 2 bath house built in the late 1800s. The house is built into the side of a mountain, and I got the biggest room, which, as it turns out, is the coldest as the entrances to two cellars are right in my room, part of which is in the ground. No insulation whatsoever, and the house is sitting on large boulders(rednecks put it on them for a foundation). We can't afford to keep the heaters where they are at now(gas in family room, electric in the bedrooms), but we do anyways.

I keep my high-end PC on 24/7, and a 21" Gateway2000 Vivitron21 on most of the day. Electric heater stays on high 24/7 as well. Sometimes have a tube radio on during the day, and for a few hours before bed I have a 60w lamp on. A mix of the cold-ass ground and being built into the cold-ass-mountain is what does it. That and not having insulation.

--Jack

Interesting, why bother with a tube radio when you have the music from deliverence (the movie) coming in from the woods 24/7? ;)

Back