• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What would YOU bring to the party?

Cloudschatze

Veteran Member
We have a work Christmas party on 12/19, dubbed, "The ULTIMATE GAMING EXPERIENCE," and have been instructed to bring our favorite video/board game. Not wanting to appear my age, modern, or even hip, I'm going to bring in a Tandy 1000SX, and two joysticks. :cool:

Being almost completely unfamiliar with the two-player gaming-landscape, can anyone recommend a few titles from the PC/PCjr/Tandy era that might be fun for this type of event?

lol, I'd extremely urge against leisure suit larry at work. Are you looking for specifically two player games? For kicks I'd see if you can find a copy of fleet sweep, it's fun galaga type shooting space game (single player, but supports joysticks).

Maybe some arcade type classics. Centipede, pango, digger/digdug. Black cauldron is supposed to be fun on tandy. I had that on my 8088 though it's a little slow, but playable.

Actually might as well just put spacewar and have them play against the computer.

lol, I'd extremely urge against leisure suit larry at work.

Heh.. Europe must be different.
The first time I played Larry (I) was at my first job, during worktime- on instigation of the companies IT manager.

If I had it, I would bring a Mr.DO! video console cabinet..

Do come totally classic games like pacman or ect!

We have a work Christmas party on 12/19, dubbed, "The ULTIMATE GAMING EXPERIENCE," and have been instructed to bring our favorite video/board game. Not wanting to appear my age, modern, or even hip, I'm going to bring in a Tandy 1000SX, and two joysticks. :cool:

Being almost completely unfamiliar with the two-player gaming-landscape, can anyone recommend a few titles from the PC/PCjr/Tandy era that might be fun for this type of event?

Archon, without a doubt. My 9-yr-old son and I play it around once a week, a testament to how fun it is.

Two-player games are preferred, since we're being encouraged to "go head-to-head with that manager who has been a thorn in your side all year."

I'm planning to load it up with several of the "classics" that were mentioned - thank-you for the suggestions.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I had to look up what a "Merlin" is. :)

A few others that occurred to me today were Marble Madness, Bubble Bobble, Demon Stalkers, and Gauntlet. If I were more into sports games, there are quite a few of those that might make good picks as well.

Two-player games are preferred, since we're being encouraged to "go head-to-head with that manager who has been a thorn in your side all year."

Heh, I'm thinking:
summer1c64game.gif

and

international_karate_07.gif

Last edited:
Do games such as Summer Games and International Karate (Chop'n'Drop) exist on the Tandy 1000 series? If you really want to get your aggression out, you could try an even more violent fighting game, perhaps not on your choice of platform though. On the other hand, a Christmas party in the name of gaming should probably not turn into a beat-em-up occassion, virtual or not.

A few others that occurred to me today were Marble Madness, Bubble Bobble, Demon Stalkers, and Gauntlet. If I were more into sports games, there are quite a few of those that might make good picks as well.

Marble Madness has terrible performance on any machine of that era, unfortunately. The others aren't blazing either, but tolerable. If they're too slow, try running them in CGA 4-color mode instead of Tandy/PCjr 16-color mode -- it's half of the video memory to sling around.

Guess I'll close this out...

I did end up bringing the TX (rather than the SX). Despite loading the CF "drive" with all manner of games, and installing both a Sound Blaster and a Roland MIDI interface (w/attached MT-32), the response was decidedly underwhelming.

Have you ever felt different from your so-called "peers?" You know, like when everyone in the room has a pocket-protector, and you're the fly dude sporting not one, but two? That about sums up the experience. :)

An inability to embrace or understand other perspectives is a sign of something missing. I'm not suggesting that you should feel smug, but you're the smart guy at the party. Cheers. :)

Back