• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sound blaster pro ii & cdrom on a xt

It seems that the test-program for SB1.5 (works with my SB16 on my 486) locks up too. Maybe the card is deffect or conflicting with another card in my computer... Or is it just because I'm running the programs from a Floppy disk on a slow machine...

You have the wrong IRQ. The Sound Blaster Pro defaults to 7 (LPT1) or 5 (hard disk!!) depending on which one you stuck into the machine. While setting it to IRQ 7 might work, IRQ 5 will definitely lock up the machine when either SBPro or hard disk use is attempted.

My SBPro is set to IRQ 2, DMA 1, port 220h (I have the first-rev earlier 8-bit SBPro) and everything works perfectly. It's the same machine I developed 8088 Corruption on.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were having trouble getting the SBPro itself working. The CDROM portion almost definitely uses the 16-bit fingers of the card; someone else has reported success but I have been unable to duplicate that, and I have the original SBPro+cdrom (1X speed!) kit from Creative.

You have the wrong IRQ. The Sound Blaster Pro defaults to 7 (LPT1) or 5 (hard disk!!) depending on which one you stuck into the machine. While setting it to IRQ 7 might work, IRQ 5 will definitely lock up the machine when either SBPro or hard disk use is attempted.

My SBPro is set to IRQ 2, DMA 1, port 220h (I have the first-rev earlier 8-bit SBPro) and everything works perfectly. It's the same machine I developed 8088 Corruption on.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were having trouble getting the SBPro itself working. The CDROM portion almost definitely uses the 16-bit fingers of the card; someone else has reported success but I have been unable to duplicate that, and I have the original SBPro+cdrom (1X speed!) kit from Creative.

I don't have a hard drive in my system... only 2 floppy drives (IBM adapter, the standard one), my new display adapter (ATI GS, see the other thread), a RAM expansion card (the IBM one, 256Kb), Serial/Paralell adapter (using standard IRQ's for COM1 and LTP1). So I don't understand why it shouldn't work with IRQ 5, DMA 1, and I/O adress 220h.

My Yule vacation will start on Friday, so I'll test the card in my 486 then.

Last edited:
It's possible that there is 286 code in the driver, but I wouldn't have a way of knowing. My original XT motherboard needs servicing so I can't test it on a real 8088. You should use the exact driver I supplied though. I tried quite a number of them, and most of them just caused the machine to lock up. I recommend using matsushita/panasonic supplied (rather than creative) drivers with versions 4.10 or earlier.

I too am unsuccessful in getting a Sound Blaster Pro 2 / Matsushita CR-563-B combination working in a 5160.

The Sound Blaster Pro 2 / Matsushita CR-563-B that I have works okay in a 5170 and so I've ruled out those as the cause.

I tried versions 4.10 (CDMKE.SYS) and 4.20 (SBCD.SYS) of the driver.

Originally, the driver would half load, stall, then eventually "Divide Overflow" appeared, then the computer would hang. The computer did this with or without the Sound Blaster Pro 2 card installed.

Replacing the 8088 CPU with a V20 then allowed the driver to progress further. More text would appear including "CREATIVE CD-ROM CR-563-x". The final text was "CD-ROM device driver installed." and then the computer would hang.

Minimal hardware of IBM CGA card, IBM floppy controller and Sound Blaster Pro 2 was tried.

EDIT: Tried both DOS 3.3 and 6.21 - no change

Last edited:
I too am unsuccessful in getting a Sound Blaster Pro 2 / Matsushita CR-563-B combination working in a 5160.

The Sound Blaster Pro 2 / Matsushita CR-563-B that I have works okay in a 5170 and so I've ruled out those as the cause.

I tried versions 4.10 (CDMKE.SYS) and 4.20 (SBCD.SYS) of the driver.

Originally, the driver would half load, stall, then eventually "Divide Overflow" appeared, then the computer would hang. The computer did this with or without the Sound Blaster Pro 2 card installed.

Replacing the 8088 CPU with a V20 then allowed the driver to progress further. More text would appear including "CREATIVE CD-ROM CR-563-x". The final text was "CD-ROM device driver installed." and then the computer would hang.

Minimal hardware of IBM CGA card, IBM floppy controller and Sound Blaster Pro 2 was tried.

Maybe you will need a V30... or a clone board (wasn't the V30 8086 pin compatible, the IBM PC/XT doen not use 8086 but 8088).

I guess that makes my XT system extra super weird, since it can use an SBPro & Matsushita CR563B, as well as loading DOS into UMB memory. Two things no other person has been able to replicate so far.

I guess that makes my XT system extra super weird, since it can use an SBPro & Matsushita CR563B, as well as loading DOS into UMB memory. Two things no other person has been able to replicate so far.

Does it take AT keyboards too? :mrgreen:

I guess it's a XT clone system. Am I correct?

No, it takes standard XT keyboards. Though it doesn't like my Model Ms at all. The AT/XT autoswitching really confuses the hell out of it. It's just a standard 10MHz V30 XT clone motherboard by Juko.

Do you think the version of MSCDEX I am running could make a difference? I believe I am running the one that comes with PC-DOS 2000, but I should really double check that.

What does that line say?
Booting from floppy (no hard drive/controller).

SBCD.SYS version 4.2

DEVICE=\SBCD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:220

That line as it is (no changes) works for an IBM 5170.

CDMKE.SYS version 4.1

DEVICE=\CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:220 /S:A

I tried the variations of the /S switch.

The card DOES work in my 486, so I've eliminated that problem.

Then it might be the following:

1. The PSU in the XT isn't strong enough.
  2. The card require power from the power lines on the 16-bit section.
  3. The test program "TEST-SBC.EXE" uses 286 codes.
  4. The test program (see above) Looks for the card at "DMA 0".
  5. Something else.

Has any body else gotten a CT1600 to work in a trueblue IBM 5160 PC/XT?

I've done some more testing, and the card does work in an 8bit slot in my 486, leaving out option 2 and 4 (see above). I really don't think option 1 is too relevant either, and option 5 doesn't really state anything.

So to sum it up, I think the problem is that the Test SoundBlaster Card Test Program version 1.51 from Creative does use 286 codes.

What I can do now, is the following:
  1. Nothing, stick to the beeping PC speaker.
  2. Insert the card and add "BLASTER=..." in AUTOEXEC.BAT.
  3. Number 2, and modify the SBCD.SYS driver to work with the 8088.
  4. Number 2, and getting a hard disk drive with adapter that'll work with the 8088.
  5. Number 2, and getting the PALMZIP driver and a 220vAC to 12vDC (or was it 5vDC?) adapter.
Number 3, 4 or 5 is because I really have no idea how to fit any program using the SB ("8088 Corruption" for example) on a 360Kb Floppy disk.

Some troubleshooting would be nice.

Last edited:
I think there are a few people in here that got the SB16 working in an XT. From what I understand though there is a small software trick involved in getting it to work. I suspect that there is a good chance of the Panasonic interface working when SB16 is installed in an XT. I don't think ATAPI would work at all though, as that is a 16-bit interface that uses the 16-bit portion of the ISA connector. You'd need one of those fancy acculogic cards to pull it off.

What was the software trick, could someone tell what rev drivers and IRQ and IO i should use for a ct2290?

JT

I think there are a few people in here that got the SB16 working in an XT. From what I understand though there is a small software trick involved in getting it to work. I suspect that there is a good chance of the Panasonic interface working when SB16 is installed in an XT. I don't think ATAPI would work at all though, as that is a 16-bit interface that uses the 16-bit portion of the ISA connector. You'd need one of those fancy acculogic cards to pull it off.

Is it possible to get midi working on a SB16 in an XT?

What midiprograms were available, was there Band in a box for XT, and maybe some Steinberg?

I want to use my XT for some old school composing.

JT

Is it possible to get midi working on a SB16 in an XT?

What midiprograms were available, was there Band in a box for XT, and maybe some Steinberg?

I want to use my XT for some old school composing.

JT

ADLIB (MIDI based on the YM3812, or OPL2, however, all cards >= CT1600 uses the OPL3 instead) and 8-bit Sound should be possible as long as you got a non-PnP card. If the card is PnP, you may have serve troubble getting it to work in an XT.

ADLIB (MIDI based on the YM3812, or OPL2, however, all cards >= CT1600 uses the OPL3 instead) and 8-bit Sound should be possible as long as you got a non-PnP card. If the card is PnP, you may have serve troubble getting it to work in an XT.

I actually think i once did have a working PnP card in a XT, it required configuring on a different machine though.

JT

I just wanted to point out that the zip file posted does not include any files for the CD-ROM drive. But...

The good news is that I got the Matsushita CR-563B drive going in my XT using the SB Pro 2.0 adapter. However, it wasn't trivial. The drivers supplied from Creative Labs for whatever reason do not work with this drive. I tried versions 2.0 and 4.22. Driver version 4.22 just locked up the machine, and version 2.0 didn't recognise the drive at all.

What I had to do is locate the Matsushita supplied driver, CDMKE.sys version 4.1. That one worked just fine. In addition to the MSCDEX line in your autoexec.bat, be sure to include the following line in your config.sys like this:

DEVICE=C:\CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:220 /S: D

Where P is the port number, and S is the drive speed S = Single, D = Double, A = Automatic. Don't leave a space in between the colon and the drive speed, I just did that because it turns into a smiley face.

i found my SB pro 2.0 and my CR-563-B. made a boot disk with the driver you attached in your post. tried it in my XT clone, and it hangs just like SBCD.SYS

Back