• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sound blaster pro ii & cdrom on a xt

For Mike Chambers:

So, that means that can I use a normal ide cdrom drive with sound blaster pro 2 ide or only can use the propietary cr-563-b model ???

Wich model of soundblaster is designed for cr-581-m matshushita cdrom drive ?

Perhaps soundblaster 16 ????

Regards,

Genocho.

So, that means that can I use a normal ide cdrom drive with sound blaster pro 2 ide or only can use the propietary cr-563-b model ???
Wich model of soundblaster is designed for cr-581-m matshushita cdrom drive ?
Perhaps soundblaster 16 ????

For a good brief on the proprietary CDROM interfaces, see http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cd/confProprietary-c.html

For the Sound Blaster Pro 2, you will need an early CDROM drive that uses the proprietary 'Panasonic' interface (such as the CR-563-B).

I have the CT2230 model of the Sound Blaster 16 series, and it too uses the 'Panasonic' interface.
However, as shown at http://www.computerhope.com/help/csound.htm, there were many different models of Sound Blaster 16.

Site http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/optical-cd-drives/PANASONIC-INDUSTRIAL-COMPANY-CD-ROM-CR-581-M.html indicates that your CR-581-M uses an ATAPI interface, so it gets plugged into a standard IDE port (you don't need a sound card).
That web page indicates that the CR-581-M is a x2 speed, but everywhere else on the Internet indicates quad speed.

Proprietary CDROM interfaces

Proprietary CDROM interfaces

The following picture illustrates the three main proprietary CDROM interfaces (ie. before ATAPI came along).

This sound card, at least initially, was designed for all three.
You'd connect your CDROM to the appropriate connector, then change the jumper at the bottom to match.

proprietary_cdrom_interfaces.jpg

The following picture illustrates the three main proprietary CDROM interfaces (ie. before ATAPI came along).

This sound card, at least initially, was designed for all three.
You'd connect your CDROM to the appropriate connector, then change the jumper at the bottom to match.

[image]

I got a SB16 CT2290 with both Panasonic/Creative and ATAPI support (I got a Creative drive too :) ), do you know if that'll work in an XT?

I think there are a few people in here that got the SB16 working in an XT. From what I understand though there is a small software trick involved in getting it to work. I suspect that there is a good chance of the Panasonic interface working when SB16 is installed in an XT. I don't think ATAPI would work at all though, as that is a 16-bit interface that uses the 16-bit portion of the ISA connector. You'd need one of those fancy acculogic cards to pull it off.

I know it is a long time since last time somebody posted in this thread, but since I got a SB Pro 2 (CT1600) today, I would like to ask:

Does the CDMKE.SYS drive work with other drives using the Panasonic interface too?

I got a dive that uses Panasonic interface, but it's labbeled "CREATIVE" on the front, and I thinks it is a x4 drive, not x2 like you use in the example. This drive came with a SB16 card that surely had a Panasonic interface.

Yes. Or no... There are a few different drivers to be used with different models of Pana-type drives. Sorry, can't help more, but google might help you match up a driver to your device.

--T

Yes. Or no... There are a few different drivers to be used with different models of Pana-type drives. Sorry, can't help more, but google might help you match up a driver to your device.

--T

But Creative only supplies drivers for 286+ (as said earlier in this topic). Anyways, I don't have the drive right here.

I've been reading about CD ROM interfaces and found a couple of intersting links that might be useful to others here now.
http://www.autourdupc.com/index.php?sPage=/Materiel/CDROM/CDROM_IDE.htm
They have a whack of drivers (no signup etc) such as the Creative Labs V1.07 through V4.22. I know the site says IDE, but they go back to at least 1993 so they might not all be "IDE" and the CDMKE.SYS V4.11 is for a 2X drive.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~theom/electronics/panasoniccd.html
Has interface information and more good links. From the site:
"The following information details what I know about the interface to Panasonic/Matsushita/Kotobuki CD-Roms that normally connect to a PC soundcard with a 40 pin IDC cable (not an IDE interface) - this interface is sometimes called MKE, SLCD or Panasonic. I have been informed that it is correct for CR-562 and 563 models."

I think there are a few people in here that got the SB16 working in an XT. From what I understand though there is a small software trick involved in getting it to work. I suspect that there is a good chance of the Panasonic interface working when SB16 is installed in an XT. I don't think ATAPI would work at all though, as that is a 16-bit interface that uses the 16-bit portion of the ISA connector. You'd need one of those fancy acculogic cards to pull it off.

I think i installed a soundblaster and a matsushita cdrom in my XT many years ago and it would hang.

I got it working using oakcdrom sys but i have no idea if it was on the ide or creative port though.

JT

--T

I just figured my drive IS a CR-563-B :D !!!

But with 2 FH FDD's in my XT, I really don't got space for it in there... Maybe I should put the cable out of one of the empty expansion slots on the back of the computer, but what about the cable from the PSU then :rolleyes: ?

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that the zip file posted does not include any files for the CD-ROM drive. But...

The good news is that I got the Matsushita CR-563B drive going in my XT using the SB Pro 2.0 adapter. However, it wasn't trivial. The drivers supplied from Creative Labs for whatever reason do not work with this drive. I tried versions 2.0 and 4.22. Driver version 4.22 just locked up the machine, and version 2.0 didn't recognise the drive at all.

What I had to do is locate the Matsushita supplied driver, CDMKE.sys version 4.1. That one worked just fine. In addition to the MSCDEX line in your autoexec.bat, be sure to include the following line in your config.sys like this:

DEVICE=C:\CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:220 /S: D

Where P is the port number, and S is the drive speed S = Single, D = Double, A = Automatic. Don't leave a space in between the colon and the drive speed, I just did that because it turns into a smiley face.

When I tried to get it to work in my XT (early revision 64/256Kb MB, 8088 CPU & 8087 NPU, 512Kb RAM, no HDD and only 2 DD FDD's), I included that line in the config.sys file (nothing else in the config.sys file). However, when it booted, my XT loaded the config.sys, came up with the title of the driver (copyright & stuff), and then it locked up. I used a system disk made from DOS 6.2.

What is the specs for your system, what is your DOS version and what other lines do you got in your config.sys file?

It might be because I'm trying to make this work from a floppy disk with no extended Int 13h Boot ROM. IDK, but I would gladly accept some troubleshooting.

I guess you already checked, but make sure your soundcard actually use the IO port adress you use refer to.

JT

I guess you already checked, but make sure your soundcard actually use the IO port adress you use refer to.

JT

Yes, yes. I have done so. You might find it interesting that the driver once reported "Divide Overflow", but locked up after that.

It seems that the test-program for SB1.5 (works with my SB16 on my 486) locks up too. Maybe the card is deffect or conflicting with another card in my computer... Or is it just because I'm running the programs from a Floppy disk on a slow machine...

When I get some more time, I'll test it in my 486.

Yes, yes. I have done so. You might find it interesting that the driver once reported "Divide Overflow", but locked up after that.

It seems that the test-program for SB1.5 (works with my SB16 on my 486) locks up too. Maybe the card is deffect or conflicting with another card in my computer... Or is it just because I'm running the programs from a Floppy disk on a slow machine...

When I get some more time, I'll test it in my 486.

I ran into issues with soundcards where the installer software had timing loops for inputs and on fast machines it would crash when you tried to run its installer (Ensoniq Soundscape I think it was). Could just be the 8 bit soundcard was for XT class machines and the test software cannot work correctly on a much faster 486 because of programming methods?

I ran into issues with soundcards where the installer software had timing loops for inputs and on fast machines it would crash when you tried to run its installer (Ensoniq Soundscape I think it was). Could just be the 8 bit soundcard was for XT class machines and the test software cannot work correctly on a much faster 486 because of programming methods?

I meant that the test program does not lock up my 486 (SB 16), but it locks up on the SB pro 2 in my XT.

Here's version 4.11 of the driver. Don't know if it'll work any better, but you can add it to your collection.

Attachments

• cdmke411.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 6
Back