• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's your favourite Colour/Color?

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Okay what I'm after from -everyone- reading this forum is the colour or color which gives them the most visual stimulation. Most likely that is the color or colour which will be your favourite colour/color! :-D

Everything has a colour/color - so there's no hiding it! :-D Resistance is futile (you'll be only kidding yourself!)

The reason for asking relates to what I do - there's an association between my work and my favourite colour, I've asked some others which have sort of indicated they felt their favourite colour is abundant in what they do - anyway I just thought it would be fun to do something on another forum.

BTW, I've always loved Green, not too dark and not too bright, it might have helped persuade me to do something in the environment since there's an abundance of green where I work and volunteer to work. So I guess it's a coincidence that my favourite colour should take me down that path. However that's not to say I would have become that, I'm sure there's many reasons for liking a certain colour - it may not necessarily relate to work, it maybe a colour which someone doesn't see very often and hang out for it! Just thought it would make for interesting reading! :-D

Hmmmm...Well my Favorite Color would have to be Yellow (Guess that explains all the Vintage computers I have!). Though I also like Red, but that's because I'm a redhead, and as such it's been a part of my identity and subsequently my life. So far my favorite color hasn't influenced my Career path yet (Well, I used to have a temporary job at a printing press, and we printed yellow phonebooks....but that's not a career), but I certainly see my fair share of yellow when collecting computers. Seeing as how that's one of my favorite things to do, there might be a connection. But I figure it's just a coincidence. Even so, Yellow is a very nice color!

Well I'd have to say my favorite color is green. Not just any green, but that unique rich shade of green that you can clearly see in your lawn after a wonderful spring shower. I suppose I could be mixing up my senses a bit here, as the grand smells of spring could also very well be affecting my opinion on this. Regardless, I work outside a lot and spring, with all of it's glorious green, is most certainly my favorite color and time of year.

Ah yes, I can understand people having a certain range of colours they like - because there's some colours I like more than others. I believe though that everyone will have a colour they love more than another - maybe they can grow tired of it, I haven't really exploited that avenue, though as far as I can remember the right shade of Green has been my choice for pleasing colours - I guess it depends on the context it's used in though - would I paint the Sky & Sea Green for instance? Perhaps from an artistic viewpoint that maybe the only avenue if you like people questioning your art! So perhaps a colour could be used badly, though it maybe a nice looking colour which for the purpose of this thread is what I'm after! :-D

Yes perhaps I was boasting too much about the work I do in relation to my favourite colour which, may not apply to everyone. However what I've been playing with is the idea of how humans Associate an activity which may have a connection with their favourite colour, so it's possible that it may not be what they do, it could be a hobby, the colour of their home, car, clothes perhaps. I've only started playing with this idea, though from a book I read a few years (which I posted about somewhere on this forum), it too was suggesting the possibilities of how humans Associate a lot - it's a game we take for granted and since Colour can be used to have appeal, it can also be used to have the opposite effect - fear.

My reasoning behind all of this is how we make choices in the actions we take (as individuals) by using Association! :-D

Hehe, well, if we're going to express them like that....

Mine:

LF #89

Source C
X 72.3
Y 82.3
Z 4.1
x 0.456
y 0.518
abs 0.08
Stop value 1/3

Tungsten 3200K
X 91.7
Y 86.9
Z 2.8
x 0.506
y 0.479
abs 0.06
Stop value 1/4

10 points if you can understand this :)

Hehe, well, if we're going to express them like that....

Mine:

LF #89

Source C
X 72.3
Y 82.3
Z 4.1
x 0.456
y 0.518
abs 0.08
Stop value 1/3

Tungsten 3200K
X 91.7
Y 86.9
Z 2.8
x 0.506
y 0.479
abs 0.06
Stop value 1/4

10 points if you can understand this :)

I know how to work with these, so yes I can :)

Tye-dye.

But some people say thats not A color, it's all of them. So if that's not aloud, then my favorite color is red. Don't have alot of red in my life...well my deodorant stick is red, and my IBM computers have red switches....

--Jack

Nicely done! I worked as a Lighting/Sound Technician for 3 years, and so I got Really, really familiar with values such as these (we used them to get Gels for lights and such).
I have one of those little Roscoe gel samplers with transmission curves printed on the interleaves. Do they still distribute those? I love it for it's educational value. It is really useful for "calibrating" your eyes - especially in understanding that strange blue/red conundrum. Most people seem to look at a red without seeing the blue in it and vice versa.

When it comes to colour, I've been extremely sensitive since I can remember. Some colours are so offensive to me that I have to look away. A lot of blues are like that. Other colours draw me in and I can't look away. I can't generalize because the colour to my sensibilites is really a quality of an object. My first love was in the greens and so the answer there is PG17, ie chromium oxide. Other pigments are very dear to me such as the cadmiums. Cadmium orange is to die for and it makes me feel really good. My dad used to like that one too, and he is the one who introduced me to it at an early age. Naples yellow (lead antimonate) is another love. To see how Vermeer uses it in something like "The Milkmaid", almost makes me cry. Interestingly, that same painting has a very effective and clever use of blue pigment - and I like that one.

Unfortunately, you can't translate paintings to images. The "colour" of computer screens generally leave me cold, except for certain blues which are offensive enough for me to abandon a program unless I can change it. That was my original reason for abandoning Windows 3.1. It was only partially configurable. That is, not all blues could be elimated. Over the years I've gotten a bit more tolerant and I can even use this forum, despite the colours being highly offensive to me. :)

Regarding CP/M User's orginal question in how this might affect one's career/work choices, I would have to say that my "preferences" (or sensitivities) would have made a life in IT impossible. Since green is probably my most clearely defined childhood love, it could explain my interest in botany and plants in general - or perhaps the other way around. By far the largest part of my library is botanical works (not so much the picture kind though) and the biggest section within that is mycology. Yes, I do think there is something to your theory.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a color preference?

BTW, OJ, extreme sensitivity to color(s) is sometimes a symptom of Autism, or perhaps, in your case, Asperger's (high-functioning Autism). Has this been suggested before?

--T

I have one of those little Roscoe gel samplers with transmission curves printed on the interleaves. Do they still distribute those?

They still distribute them, but where we used to get them they wouldn't give/sell them to anyone but Lighting Technicians and such. They are fun little things, they'd be nice to have in a school for demonstrating colours (well, if they made them a little bigger perhaps). They're also very handy to have on site when you're drawing up a lighting plan, or setting up an ambient space.

What Ole Juul says about his sensitivities to certain colours is interesting. This could be used to prove that color preference is more deeply rooted than, for example, your preference of cars. And as evidenced in his point about not using Windows 3.1, this suggests that colours are fundamental in a person's choice of environment. Interesting stuff!

Am I the only one who doesn't have a color preference?

BTW, OJ, extreme sensitivity to color(s) is sometimes a symptom of Autism, or perhaps, in your case, Asperger's (high-functioning Autism). Has this been suggested before?
--T
No, and yes. There is no diagnosis available in BC for anyone over 19 so if you manage with behavioural training and parental support, to get past that - you're on your own here. I have, however, figured it out by myself. Life has been very difficult for me (and I've been a difficult person in many ways :) ) so it has become essential that I do some "figuring". About 10 years ago, it became clear to me that I am quite autistic. I have common autism specific health problems, and sensitivities (issues - hehe) with other senses as well. The world to me is one strongly charged with feelings and sensualities. I hate playing at the medical thing though - that's a trap. My technical side is partly a reaction - just trying to figure things out. I'm not actually good at it.

No, Terry, you are not the only one without a preference. I swear, looking at the choices made by most people, that to even care is unusual. :)

Well unfortunately I disagree with people no calling something they see as a colour. Everything we see is based on Colour - however there's colours which we simply cannot see as well because their simply beyond out our visual range - Ultra Violet for example, though we may see it differently from say a Budgie which uses Ultra Violet colours on it's cheeks (possibly to identify it apart from other Budgies is the theory!). I don't believe that nothing is not allowed!

I'm guessing now, though there maybe a number of reasons why someone doesn't favor a colour from another, perhaps it's not as obvious to them as it is to other, attitude towards taking a pick - why bother playing silly little games when you know the sea will not turn into your favourite colour?! :-D Perhaps work on it my defining what is the most pleasing colour to you - start with Dark Side of the Moon if you want and work at it from there! :-D

The biggest problem I have is defining the -Clear- colour. It's there, we can see it, edges of it, though it's all based on light which is produced by the Sun! We see it because it has this grey like glaze to it which can become a dull White if the Sun hits it as a certain angle, though can also have a dark grey appearance to it - that's the best way I can define it, while not focusing on what's behind it which has a colour! :-o

Anyone see Alfred Hitchcock's "Marnie". While it's very simular to AH's "Spellbound", the "Marnie" character also suffered from a certain condition which I thought was triggered from the Colour Red - which happened when someone was murdered as revealed at the end of the movie. Not sure what that kind of condition is and since that movie was done in the 60s, a lot more has probably come to light since them days!

Back