• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Happy Birthday mbbrutman!!!

Happy Birthday, MB.

BTW, guess who ended up getting all the insides (and casetop with CRT & video board) from that Model 4 network workstation from Cassiopeia (just in case you need parts) :)

Hers was a network station? I read a little bit about those, but the description on TRS-80.com was basically a cut and paste from the catalog. What did they use for the connectivity to the server, and how was the server machine configured?

In retrospect I should have just bought that machine, but something was rubbing me the wrong way that week. I'm glad you rescued the parts.

Fully electronic? I wouldn't want to be in one. Scenario: You're 10,000ft in the sky, when suddenly, say you spill soda on the instrument panel. What do you do? Hell, what if it isn't human error? Perhaps a chip or capacitor is bad, and you don't have elevator control, engine control, headlight control, or even something like no flaps. Flaps you'd live without, but still, the other stuff is pretty important.

It's like those cars they are trying to make so you don't have to touch the wheel and it takes you there. No way I'm trusting my life and $50K on some electronic device. Anything could go wrong and you'd be dead, and have $50K worth garbage your family would have to clean up...or use the insurance money to get themselves 3 normal cars!

--Jack

OT, but it's not exactly a technical thread anyway. ;-0

Check out the design specs on a Cirrus sometime. They are amazing.

In some of the new small planes the engine controls and avionics are fully electronic/digital. The flight controls are still based on a manual linkage. (Unlike in an Airbus, where those are fly by wire.) So in the unlikely event of a complete power loss, the plane is still flyable - it just turns into a glider.

To prevent catastrophic power failures an airplane like a Cirrus will have dual alternators, split bus electrical systems, and large backup batteries than can power the avionics for up to 45 minutes after the alternators stop generating power. There is a lot of attention paid to isolating components from each other so that one failure doesn't cause the entire system to collapse.

Your backup in case all of the displays go dark are the analog guages for airspeed, attitude, and altitude.

Compare this to the 1970s vintage Cessnas and Pipers that I fly. The engines will run with no electrical system active, which is a plus. But they are prone to carb icing, you have to manually adjust the mixture, and there are no onboard diagnostics of any sort. The instruments are all analog mechanical devices which wear out. They don't wear out at the same rate, so we have to train for many modes of failure and learn to interpret instruments that give conflicting readings. And a lot of these instruments are driven by a vacuum pump off the engine, which is a nasty device.

Choose your poison. ;-0

Ohhh, you've flown a Cessna? And a Piper? Ahhh, so cool! I've always had a facination for airplanes, and got to "fly" a Cessna. Some guy my dad knew took myself and my two brothers in the air. I was 12 at the time but put in some serious Flight Simulator hours by then. Once in the air, he allowed me to manuever the plane to face it's new destination and even to fly the plane higher. It was a cool expierience. I've "flown" an UltraLight the same way.

But anyhow, thats going a little off-topic on an already off-topic conversation, lol. Thats cool that the planes still have mechanical linkage. It would be unwise to not have such. But wow, Airbus uses just wires? What if a wire broke or caught fire? If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Airbus that new airplane that was at first contraversal? I'm going to do some research, but assuming what you said is accurate, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those. Unless it was a museum and not likely to suddenly take flight.

Do you own a plane?

--Jack

I regularly fly either a Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Piper Warrior II or Piper Archer II. I'm in a flying club, which makes me a part owner but more of a renter. Using the flight simulator on the PCjr 25 got me interested in flying, but I did not seriously act on it until about 5 years ago.

Check here for some older pictures: http://brutman.com/Flying/Flying.html

I would recommend an introductory flight at a flight school for anybody, even if you only do it once. You can usually get in the air with an instructor for a half hour for well under $75.

As for the big iron, it's all hydraulics and the newer planes are fly-by-wire and hydraulics. That's just the way it has to be - you can't put that kind of weight in the air and control it reliably without it. They are also highly redundant on their systems. You are far morely likely to have a problem with the flight crew than the airplane itself.

For the event, I would like to type in the Norwegian brithday-song:
Hurra for deg som fyller ditt år, Ja deg vil vi gratulere.
Alle i ring omkring deg vi står, og se nå vil vi masjere.
bukke, nikke, neie, snu oss omkring, danse for deg med hopp og sprett og spring,
ønske deg av hjerte alle gode ting, og si meg så hva vil du mere?
Gratulere!

Høyt våre flagg de svinger: Hurra! Ja, nå vil vi riktig feste.
Dagen er din og dagen er bra, men du er den aller beste.
Se deg om i ringen hvem du vil ta. Dans en liten dans med den du helst vil ha.
Vi vil alle sammen svinge oss så gla', og en av oss skal bli den neste
til å feste!
Happy birthday, Mbbrutman!

I regularly fly either a Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Piper Warrior II or Piper Archer II. I'm in a flying club, which makes me a part owner but more of a renter. Using the flight simulator on the PCjr 25 got me interested in flying, but I did not seriously act on it until about 5 years ago.

Seeing those pictures bought back lots of memories Mike. I learnt to fly when I was 16 (Jack's age) and got my private pilot's license. I trained in an Cessna 150 Aerobat and then went on to Pipers (Cherokee and Warrior). I was a member of an active flying club and they were great times.

However, it was a short hobby. I did this for a few short years while I had a full-time job between high school and University. Once I decided to go to the latter I just didn't have the money any more. I haven't been at the controls since.

A flight simulator is way cheaper, but I do miss those days. :)

Tez

P.S. 1000 posts!

w000000000T!!!!!!

three cheers for mike b!!

birthday_cake.gif

I would recommend an introductory flight at a flight school for anybody, even if you only do it once. You can usually get in the air with an instructor for a half hour for well under $75.

As for the big iron, it's all hydraulics and the newer planes are fly-by-wire and hydraulics. That's just the way it has to be - you can't put that kind of weight in the air and control it reliably without it. They are also highly redundant on their systems. You are far morely likely to have a problem with the flight crew than the airplane itself.

very cool! my grandfather is building an RV6-A. can't wait until he has it done.

Tezza - Hmm, time to delete some of your posts ... ;-0

The Aerobat is supposed to be a fun little airplane, with the emphasis on little. I've managed to squeeze into a C150 once, and with the pilot, full fuel and I we were quite a bit overweight. As you know, they will fly when overweight, but it makes you a test pilot. :)

Our trainer of choice for the flying club is a C172. Big enough to accomodate normal sized people, and we can keep full tanks all of the time without going over gross weight. In the US some flight schools will use warriors. Some of the more upscale flight schools are using new Diamond aircraft, which are really fuel efficient compared to our older trainers.

Ironically, I can't land in a flight simulator. I try to fly a nice pattern and do everything by the book, but it is really a lot harder to fly and land in a PC class simulator than it is in real life. You don't get the real life cues, and you can't move your head forward or turn it to get a better view like you can in real life.

I checked out in the C182 only recently. The 182 has a constant speed propeller and 230HP, so it can climb like an elevator compared to the smaller airplanes in the club. Unfortunately, it is also nose heavy and heavier in general so it sinks much faster once the power is reduced.

Go spend a few hours with an instructor!

MikeC - That takes the cake!

(Ba da dum! Thanks folks, I'll be here all week ...)

The Aerobat is supposed to be a fun little airplane, with the emphasis on little. I've managed to squeeze into a C150 once, and with the pilot, full fuel and I we were quite a bit overweight. As you know, they will fly when overweight, but it makes you a test pilot. :)

Yep. Tiny, underpowered with a vicious stall. But man, is it fun to throw around!.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic.... :)

Tez

Hers was a network station? I read a little bit about those, but the description on TRS-80.com was basically a cut and paste from the catalog. What did they use for the connectivity to the server, and how was the server machine configured?

In retrospect I should have just bought that machine, but something was rubbing me the wrong way that week. I'm glad you rescued the parts.

They had two types of networking, IIRC, one was just a basic cassette port system with a dual drive Model 4 as the server, hooked into a distro box and fanned out to the workstations (basic 16/64K no drive Model 4). However, the box was fairly smart in that the server could DL to either a single unit or all units simaultaneously. The WS could merely upload to the server.

The other type, the one I have here, was the other type, an ArcNet (star topography, I believe) setup with, usually, an HD equipped Model 4 and access depended on your access level at the server.

Yes, her and her mother shipped me the whole insides of the unit (and some other goodies) in appreciation for those hundreds of feE-bay auctions I helped them out with a while back. I have a Model 4 that a client in Wisconsin shipped as spare parts to fix a 4D, but the CRT and video board in it got trashed by UPS and it wasn't worth shipping back. I plan to make one good working unit out of the two with a single floppy drive and a built in TM502 HD in the second drive spot. I have a few flat HDCs and I just have to make an interface between the expansion bus and the HDC.

They are also holding a Tandy 3000 and an EGA monitor for me for when I get some room to put it LOL

They had two types of networking, IIRC, one was just a basic cassette port system with a dual drive Model 4 as the server, hooked into a distro box and fanned out to the workstations (basic 16/64K no drive Model 4). However, the box was fairly smart in that the server could DL to either a single unit or all units simaultaneously. The WS could merely upload to the server.

The other type, the one I have here, was the other type, an ArcNet (star topography, I believe) setup with, usually, an HD equipped Model 4 and access depended on your access level at the server.

Cassette port networking, with broadcast capability. Now, that is truly bad.

The ArcNet option sounds more workable; I wasn't aware that the machine had any networking capability.

I've seen mention of the hard drive kits in scans of the old catalogs. Without going too far off topic, what is the controller based on? Is it a relatively standard MFM controller from the day? If so, then whatever driver software exists in the DOS would use the same command registers that PC clones use too. Do you have any suggestions for books I should be hunting down?

Cassette port networking, with broadcast capability. Now, that is truly bad.

The ArcNet option sounds more workable; I wasn't aware that the machine had any networking capability.

The setup I had, which I inherited from a 1st grade classroom, used a dual-drive M4 as a server, and had 12 Model Is for workstations, jacked-in thru a Network 4 controller. It was a very workable solution for very little money at the time when RS was unloading the MIs for next to nothing.

The Arcnet was very kewl, as it allowed cross-platform connectability. At the store, we had PCs, TRS-80s, T2Ks, Apple ][s, CP/M boxen, etc all on a single network.

--T

I've seen mention of the hard drive kits in scans of the old catalogs. Without going too far off topic, what is the controller based on? Is it a relatively standard MFM controller from the day? If so, then whatever driver software exists in the DOS would use the same command registers that PC clones use too. Do you have any suggestions for books I should be hunting down?

Most of the kits that I saw used the WD contollers that were in the external hard drives from Tandy (WD1002-05 or the HDO series). There was an internal Buffered Interface Cable that came off the Model III/4 expansion port to the HDC board and you had to use something like LDOS or TRSDOS 6.2? that talked hard drive.

I can't reccomend any books off the top of my head.

Back