• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just when you thought it was safe to toss that old computer

Lohmeyer

Experienced Member
Hello.

A while back I was thinking about long term data storage and recovering data from my old TRS-80, Apple, and 8088 based PC disks. Years ago I saved most my TRS-80 floppies to my PC, but back then, I just wanted the data and didn't care about owning older computers. Gasp, now instead of selling, or tossing old computer stuff, I'm actually buying spare parts to keep them running. Oh woe is me!

I'm interested in the stuff of my youth - the TRS-80 and the original DOS 8088/86 machines. I have my original Columbia Data Products MPC 1600 (first computer I owned) and also a TRS-80 Model 4P. I'm looking for more TRS-80 stuff. The rest of my "pile of junk" is nothing special as it's all '90's and beyond PC and Mac (Powerbook) stuff.

I started in '79 on a TRS-80 Level I when most kids my age didn't care what a computer was. I also did a lot with Unix and Apollo machines in college. Though I still have some old Apollo stuff, I'm not going to focus on those machines as Linux and Mac OS X give me all the Unix I need, and I don't have the space or the electricity budget to keep them running. ;)

Using the old machines is interesting, but I'm an electrical engineer, and the hardware of the old machine is more interesting to me showing the progression of technology which, in the early years, was all about the hardware.

Regards,

Michael Lohmeyer

Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the forums and assure you of an interesting collection of Vintage Enthusiasts (some fairly rabid) and a wealth of knowledge spanning many platforms (in some cases, more knowledge than you really care to know, to the "glassy-eyes point) :)

Pull up a PDP-8 (no, not the wet one), set yer butt down and exchange thoughts, questions and answers.

Pull up a PDP-8 (no, not the wet one), set yer butt down and exchange thoughts, questions and answers.

You know, someday you will have to tell me the story about the wet PDP!

Edit: Yay! One hundred posts :)

And oh, I forgot. Welcome Lohmeyer! I'm sure you'll like it here.

Last edited:
You know, someday you will have to tell me the story about the wet PDP!

Edit: Yay! One hundred posts :)

And oh, I forgot. Welcome Lohmeyer! I'm sure you'll like it here.

Druidster has already told that story...he's got cats, 'member? (Unless ya mean the one at the bottom of the North Sea).

Grats on hitting the century mark, and a hearty welcome to Lohmeyer as well!

--T

Druidster has already told that story...he's got cats, 'member? (Unless ya mean the one at the bottom of the North Sea).

Grats on hitting the century mark, and a hearty welcome to Lohmeyer as well!

--T

Since i was referring to the one holding down a houseboat in the Netherlands, then I suppose he is too :)

No, no, still to painful to recount (sob)

Ha, ya. Cats and computers that have been sitting around collecting dust.... uh, err..... cat hair (and other questionable contaminates) for years.

Back