• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Model 80 Questions

TomFCS

Experienced Member
Right off the top...

Good online source for batteries?

What OS? I have IBM DOS 5.0, DR-DOS 6.0 and Win 3.1 available to me now. Also have OS/2 warp for Windows. Hmmmmm. My only experience with OS/2 is looking at screen shots. Never touched it. Seems to me that this might be fun and new. :)

If by fun and new you mean frustrating and irritating... :)

OS/2 is great on supported hardware. You should be fine with your PS/2 and Microchannel cards.

God help you on a clone machine with generic ISA cards or semi-modern drives.

If you are a real glutton for punishment you can try and get it on the internet relatively easily in OS/2 using Microsoft's TCP/IP stack under Win-Os/2 with the 16 bit IE5. The pages will render funnily because it doesn't recognize modern JS and so forth.

I've personally never been able to get any OS/2 lower than Warp 4 on the net. But I'm flogging a copy of Warp 3 connect right now.

Last edited:
Right off the top...

Good online source for batteries?

What OS? I have IBM DOS 5.0, DR-DOS 6.0 and Win 3.1 available to me now. Also have OS/2 warp for Windows. Hmmmmm. My only experience with OS/2 is looking at screen shots. Never touched it. Seems to me that this might be fun and new. :)

I snagged 10 or a dozen for about $12 shipped NEW on ebay, still have a few left. I was going to buy them at Walmart but they were $20 each! They are the same type used in some older cameras so most battery shops will have them.

As far as OS/2 I had Warp3 connect and Warp 4 on my PS/2 95, I have older versions I plan on using on the 60/65sx/80 just havn't bothered to yet.

DOS 6.22 is nice on an 80 (386 isn't it?), both of mine have 486 upgrades.

I used to run OS/2 2.0 on a Zenith 386 and it ran fine. Later I used OS/2 Warp extensively on a 486DX/66 machine. Some of the applications I ran were Lotus SmartSuite for OS/2, Describe Word Proccesor for OS/2, CorelDraw of Windows and VisualAge for OS/2(IBM C compiler). Stardock's Object Desktop for OS/2 is a nice exhancement to the graphical interface.
I have OS/2 currently installed on an IBM model 70, 9577, and 9595 P60.

I am thinking about trying AIX v1.3 on the 8580 machine.

Taken from this link: http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/moreaixps2/aix-supp-hw.html

"AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.3 and its associated Licensed Program Products (LPPs) provide full hardware support and exploitation for all models of IBM PS/2 system units based on the 32-bit INTEL** 386sx-16MHz up through the INTEL 486DX2-66MHz, utilizing both IBM Microchannel or IBM AT-Bus architectures. "

I'd install IBM DOS 5.0 and on top of that Windows 3.11. OS/2 is cool, too. I've never used it, but I've got it in a box.

As for the battery, I've bought the exact battery from this seller before and it works nicely in my IBM PS/2 70-386 and is the exact replacement.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TADIRAN-COMPUTE...1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

--Ryan

Thanks much, I ordered one this morning.

IBMMuseum - Here is the release announcement for the exact submodel you have: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/ohlandl/8580/187-150.txt
Excellent, thank you. I've got a much better idea of what I have here now.

I saved that too. I only had time now to quickly read through it, but it looks pretty interesting so far. Thanks.

BTW - I dug out the OS/2 box last night. What I actually have is OS/2 for Windows Ver 2.1. I was posting from memory last night. I looked up the drive too this is what's inside.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/maxtor/XT-4380E-338MB-5-25-FH-ESDI.html

Tom

That's a good drive--I still use one. Heavy, over-engineered honker that should work nearly forever.

Thanks that's encouraging. I really didn't know too much about the track record of these drives. That's nice to know.

Another thought, I googled around a bit and there really doesn't seem to be many options for audio support on these machines is there? Lot's of discontinued stuff and dead links.

Quite a few MCA cards still for sale (mem expansion, SCSI....), but pretty much zip as far as audio cards goes. It's not really all that important to me, just seemed odd that apparently very few were even produced. It does make sense though, as I suppose these were geared mostly towards buisness cutomers.

Guess I won't be playing "Super Android Pinball" anytime soon on one of these. :(

Last edited:
...Another thought, I googled around a bit and there really doesn't seem to be many options for audio support on these machines is there? Lot's of discontinued stuff and dead links.

Quite a few MCA cards still for sale (mem expansion, SCSI....), but pretty much zip as far as audio cards goes. It's not really all that important to me, just seemed odd that apparently very few were even produced. It does make sense though, as I suppose these were geared mostly towards buisness cutomers.

Guess I won't be playing "Super Android Pinball" anytime soon on one of these. :(

http://www.IBMMuseum.com/ohlandl/sound/sound_index.html

There was attempts to get the RS/6000 microchannel soundcard working in PS/2s: http://www.IBMMuseum.com/ohlandl/RS6000/rs6000_7-6.html

Irony is, the Crystal chip is the basic specifications for the ¨Windows Sound System¨...

http://www.IBMMuseum.com/ohlandl/sound/sound_index.html

There was attempts to get the RS/6000 microchannel soundcard working in PS/2s: http://www.IBMMuseum.com/ohlandl/RS6000/rs6000_7-6.html

Irony is, the Crystal chip is the basic specifications for the ¨Windows Sound System¨...

That's interesting. It got me looking thru my collection of isa sound cards again. There are many familiar names in there, Creative Labs Vibra16 for one. Seems that there were more cards made for MCA than I originally thought. I guess the problem now is availability.

I have a Windows Sound System card (1992), it's marked as are Analog Devices ad1848jp SoundPort.

Chuck(G) - IBM offered the Audiovation card. They can still be found.
Thanks, I did find a few for sale. Might be a bit more pricey than I am willing to spend right now. I'm going to have to think about this one. Maybe eventually. Good to know that it's still an available option.

Just an update. I received the batteries yesterday and got things basically set up. IBM DOS 5.0 is installed and the machine passed all tests on the ref disk.

One small glitch though. No matter what I did I could not get the floppy drive to read. I ended up pulling one I had out of a Model 60 and temporarily hooking it up. I haven't tried switching the old ribbon cable and testing it with the new drive or cleaning the heads on the new drive yet either.

After I got it set up I did hook up the new drive as it was originally. Now I get a error 162 on post, but I can F1 and continue to boot to the HD just fine.

I'll try the cable and cleaning sometime this week. I just thought that others who bought one might be interested in my progress with it so far. Please note, this is certainly not a complaint about the machine, as everything else seems to work well.

PS/2 MCA cards, diskette drives

PS/2 MCA cards, diskette drives

I wasn't sure if this would be the thread I should hijack to sell my IBM PS/2 stuff (there are already three about these new Model 80s), but since you mentioned MCA cards and a defective diskette drive, I guess this will be the thread.

First, open your diskette drive and check that there isn't anything obstructing the operation of the drive. I have found that things like the foam pad on top of the drive head may come loose. Cleaning the inside of the drive, if there is too much dust, might help.

If the Model 80 diskette drives just won't work, I have six drives I will put up for sale as soon as I can test them. I assume the diskette drives in Model 80s have the 34-pin connector (not card edge) carrying data and power and a small/thin blue button.

I also have a 2-8 MB memory expansion board (with a full 8 MB) from Model 50 that, to me, seems more useful in a Model 80. It's ASM part no. 15F8289, FRU part no. 15F8292 discussed here http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/misc/IBM-mem-expand.html. I'm not sure if this board will work in a Model 80 386, but there is only one person who can tell us for sure.

I can also get other cards, including network and external 5¼-inch diskette drive adapters at my local surplus store. Since I suggested the seller come here to sell the new PS/2s, I might as well help you all fill those slots.

...If the Model 80 diskette drives just won't work, I have six drives I will put up for sale as soon as I can test them. I assume the diskette drives in Model 80s have the 34-pin connector (not card edge) carrying data and power and a small/thin blue button...

No, the 40-pin edge-connector types (big button) are usually stock for the Model 80s. With a ribbon cable modification the 34-pin drives can be used (aftermarket planars for the Model 80 can run the 2.88Mb drives, which are also 34-pin). I need to get my modification going further that allows a common 1.44Mb drive to be used in a PS/2.

Expansion board more useful elsewhere

Expansion board more useful elsewhere

I did not know the Model 80 is also of the card-edge type. The hardware maintenance manual states the Model 80 comes with either the "1/2 Ht" or "1/3 Ht" diskette drive. I assume the big/thick button is the "1/2" Ht."

What about the memory expansion board I spoke of? Is that going to work in a Model 80? It looks from your write-up in the link that it may not. I think the 8 MB expansion I have would be more useful in a Model 80 (than in a 286 Model 50).

Creative Labs made a genuine Sound Blaster for Micro Channel
but they are very uncommon. Might get lucky and find one on
eBay :)

I did not know the Model 80 is also of the card-edge type. The hardware maintenance manual states the Model 80 comes with either the "1/2 Ht" or "1/3 Ht" diskette drive. I assume the big/thick button is the "1/2" Ht."...

There are three primary variants of the Model 80, based around the 386DX speed: 16, 20, and 25MHz. On the 16 and 20MHz versions (the OP is about a 20MHz submodel) the 40-pin edge connector drives are used (¨1/2 height¨ drives). For the ¨Axx¨ (25MHz) version the ¨1/3 height¨ 34-pin drives are used:

http://www.intergate.ca/~fspencer/8580d144.htm

...What about the memory expansion board I spoke of? Is that going to work in a Model 80? It looks from your write-up in the link that it may not. I think the 8 MB expansion I have would be more useful in a Model 80 (than in a 286 Model 50).

As said on the page, I normally use the 15F8292 adapters on Model 55SX or 65SX systems. Theory is there, with 8Mb on the system planar (two 72-pin 4Mb SIMMs), the adapter tops off the total system RAM to 15 or 16Mb (depending on the ROM version on the adapter, and whether you can get rid of the memory size error). I think that adapter can take only 1 or 2Mb SIMMs in each position anyway, so there are much better adapters for a 386DX PS/2 system.

The OP Model 80 has 2Mb of planar RAM, probably one board of 2Mb (leaving the other slot open). For a view of the unique Model 80 planar RAM, look here. Best bet is to locate two 4Mb cards (the 16MHz version can´t run them). At least there you have 8Mb already on the planar, and can use a couple different types of adapters to gain more (best is aftermarket, because the IBM adapters are a chore to get up to about 16Mb).

Here is one type of Model 80 board, where the daughtercards are just like the planar memory card, but with a 90 degree connector: http://ibmmuseum.com/ohlandl/misc/80386_Memory_Expansion_Adapter.html

Creative Labs made a genuine Sound Blaster for Micro Channel but they are very uncommon. Might get lucky and find one on
eBay :)

There is actually two Soundblaster microchannel adapters, an SB and SB Pro...

There is actually two Soundblaster microchannel adapters, an SB and SB Pro...

I hear those cards are cranky in faster MCA machines.

The only sound card I have for MCA is one of those Audio/Video in/out cards I have in my 9595, M motion or something like that. Have yet to get around to finishing that setup.

Mostly MCA cards were ethernet, tokenring, scsi, video, and serial port. Also a few accelerators.

Back