• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Program to Transfer Files from Modern Machine to PC

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
Now that I know that my 20MB ST-225 hard drive works properly on my IBM PC 5150, I want to put files on it. My main computer is a modern system using the XP operating system. I have a 8250-based Serial Card and a unidirectional Parallel Card on the PC side and the XP system also has a Serial and Parallel Port. Is there a program I can use to transfer files directly from one to the other?

Laplink Is all I know of like that! But I like to use a step down system such as my PS/2 with it's ext LD 5 1/4 drive and moden PC with an USB 3 1/2!

Now that I know that my 20MB ST-225 hard drive works properly on my IBM PC 5150, I want to put files on it. My main computer is a modern system using the XP operating system. I have a 8250-based Serial Card and a unidirectional Parallel Card on the PC side and the XP system also has a Serial and Parallel Port. Is there a program I can use to transfer files directly from one to the other?

Other ways of transfering files to PC

Other ways of transfering files to PC

Is there a program I can use to transfer files directly from one to the other?

You may be able to do with with the DOS COPY command, using it to copy the file from the source machine to COM1 or COM2 and simultaneously running the COPY command on the target machine with COM1 or COM2 as the data source. I've never tried it myself, but I think it would require a full-duplex serial cable connection between the two machines, and would be rather tedious, as it would be limited to one-file-at-a-time transfers, and may not transfer the file date stamp intact.

Destination machine:
COPY COM1: filename

Source machine:
COPY filename COM1:

(Start the copy process on the destination machine a second or two before you start sending from the source machine. You may need to use the /b binary switch.)

There was a program called XTree Link, a competitor to LapLink, bundled with XTree Pro in the 1980s that could transfer batches of files between DOS machines. I have the program somewhere, but I don't remember if it came with a set of cables, or just instructions on how to build/buy cables. At any rate, I never used it, so I can't vouch for it, and it was made to run between two DOS machines, not a DOS machine and a Windows XP machine.

DOS 6.22 and later come with INTERLNK and INTERSVR, which are dumbed down versions of FastLynx (my preferred program). Both work well, like LapLink.

FastLynx can transfer itself over to the other side if all you have is a serial cable and the MODE.COM command.

Deja Vu again .. I swear this topic has been discussed multiple times already.

PC file transfer FAQ

PC file transfer FAQ

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't mind helping out on it. If I did one myself, it'd take a while, and I'd still need someone to read/edit it. Writing one is about the only way I'll ever dig out my serial cables, anyway.
What's the lowest version of DOS that should be supported, practically speaking ?
I think it should be just a straight file-transfer FAQ, not sharing, etc. Just enough to get people started on moving files from point a: to point b:

patscc

Actually, I'm thinking more of a general Vintage Computer FAQ, which covers all the most basic information for all the various platforms, so that we don't end up answering the same questions dozens of times. Of course, We all would have to contribute, since we all have some area(s) in which we tend to specialize.

--T

LATE REPLY

I temporarily connected a 1.44 meg floppy to the computer and loaded the hard drive in mine, then disconnected the drive to reconnect the origial 360k drive, didnt want to put and wear and tear on the 360k.

:cool:

Last edited:
Faq

Faq

Terry Yager said...general Vintage Computer FAQ

Why don't we start with something small, like a serial file transfer FAQ, and then expand it out ? If the goal is to do a whole 'everything' FAQ all at once, it'll never get done.

patscc

Why don't we start with something small, like a serial file transfer FAQ, and then expand it out ? If the goal is to do a whole 'everything' FAQ all at once, it'll never get done.

patscc

Not 'everything', just the most basic stuff. (How do I change the BIOS settings in my XT?) The more people working on their own area of expertise, the faster it'll get going. The more esoteric stuff can then be added at a later time.

--T

What we really need is a vintage computer WIKI. Editable by anyone, pictures and software included/linked, etc.

If I didn't have 28 other hobbies, I'd love to start this. But I do, so I can't.

What we really need is a vintage computer WIKI. Editable by anyone, pictures and software included/linked, etc.

If I didn't have 28 other hobbies, I'd love to start this. But I do, so I can't.

From what I know about wikis (and it's not that much), that's probably what's needed. People can add/edit easily as time allows.

Tez

Back