• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's your favorite beer?

Sounds like the beer one of the supermarkets was offering during the 70's "generics" craze. Bright yellow cans that just said "BEER" on them...

On my business trips back East, I used to take a 12-pack of Coors with me for customers who seemed to think it was the best beer ever. On the return trip, I'd take a pack of Stroh's (this was back when it was actually brewed in Detroit with Detroit River water, downstream of the GM plant--it was a decent beer with lots of body). That, and a vacuum-packed package of kielbasa from Maruschak's.

Sadly, neither brand is worth anyone's attention today. And good luck flying with a 12-pack and 5 lbs. of sausage as carry-on luggage.

What, no Kogel's Viennas? My favorite local kielbalsa is Kowalski's, but I think it's only available around Detroit these days. I still drink a sixer of Stroh's occasionally, it does have a lot of taste (you west-coast Anchor Steam drinkers would like it). It goes well with a good 'balsa.

When I was in the USAF, in Witchita Falls, TX, we made a weekend road trip up to Colorado and toured the Coor's brewery (I never understood the loyalty of it's fans, I thought it was pisswater myself). On the way back, I fell off a mountain and broke my foot, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

The worst beer I ever had was sum'n they used to sell in northern Michigan, called 'Buckhorn'. It was really cheap, but after drinking a few, you'd get the worst headache of your life. Not just me, everyone who tried it suffered the same fate. Bad beer! OTOH, there used to be a South Michigan thing called 'Big Jug', which while cheap, wasn't too bad. It only came in half-gallon jugs, for like, a buck-and-a-quarter. I drank a lot of it whenever I was in the area.

--T

More beer lore...

More beer lore...

So, has anyone else tried this Budweiser American Ale? Tried it a couple weeks ago when I went to visit my cousin. The high point of the day was seeing her son rip his hand raw trying to twist the cap off the bottle. What the hell kinda kids are we raizing nowadays? Twenty-two years old, second year of college, and my boy never heard of a churchkey! I even hadda teach him how to use it...couldn't figger it out on hiz own! Anyway, back to the point, the BAA is worth a try, if ya want sum'n with a little more flavor than the usual fizzy yellow stuff (but, it's still pretty American, FWIW). /plug

--T

Last edited:
patscc wrote:

Must a been a good beer. That quote says it all.

I suspect it had a bit more alcohol than your substandard beer - it was brewed not exactly nearby, though a part of the country which is about an hours drive from where we live. I suspect it was one of those beers I tried which was as smooth as! :-D

Back