• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Commodore Pet 2001-8 (Chicklet Keyboard)

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I just put a couple of Commodore Pet 2001-8 with Chicklet Keyboards on the Marketplace.

Both are fairly complete and in okay condition (nothing to write home about.)

One works, the other is close.

Cheers! :)

Yeah, Vince. . . both sold rather quickly. . .

From the speed at which the bigger items have sold I'm starting to think I'm leaving some money on the table. . . ;)

(BTW, for those who haven't stumbled on it, the "Search" label on the marketplace is a link to the Advanced Search functionality.)

Whooee... if that's what folks are paying for rusty not quite working ones I'm definitely reappraising mine (and regretting giving a couple away a few years back).

I take it there wasn't much of an auction and both went buy-it-now?

mike

I saw a chicklet PET 2001 on eBay the other day - shipped from Japan no less! If I recall correctly, the seller asked a starting bid of $400 for it. I'm not sure if it will get sold though; they're not that awfully rare and overseas shipping even by boat costs quite a bit. I looked closely to see if it by chance was localized with Japanese writing, but nothing like that. I suppose Commodore only did that to later computers like the VIC-1001, MAX and Japanese C64.

So are the blue trim and white screen models more valuable than the black trim/green screen versions?

yes, you're right: the "green-screen" models are the later ones and there were produced in larger numbers. They often have the 320132 board.. the earlier models have the 320008 board inside.

I have 12 chicklet PET's (and many other later ones) in all variations; the most valueable are the white screen / blue trim / blue metallic label with the white-key tape recorder...

I'd gladly trade a blue PET ... but I'm coming from europe :(

the most valueable are the white screen / blue trim / blue metallic label with the white-key tape recorder...

pet2001front.jpg

That's one of mine (and yes, I'm keeping it!)

The tape recorder doesn't work. I don't think I've seen one that does since about 1977. ;)

in 50% of the cases you can get the tape recorder working again: I use cleaning tapes and 100% alcohol.. also you have to adjust the height were the reading head touches the tape.. with some try & error often it is possible to get the head working again.. also do not forget to change the rubber band as it is often loose

The blue is the first generation PET models, then the black trim monitors came out later. My PET 2001-8 cassette works great, its finding good tapes that work with computers properly is the hard part.

Erik, look for similar style cassette recorders on ebay that work, and swap out the drive mechanics. Capstan is usually what goes, but a good cleaning of the head doesn't hurt.

Vince

Back