• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

looking for chip straightener

vbriel

Experienced Member
If anybody has one they don't use, let me know. It needs to do 28 pin .600 EPROM size chips.

Thanks,

Vince

If anybody has one they don't use, let me know. It needs to do 28 pin .600 EPROM size chips.

Thanks,

Vince

Hi! If someone has one of these units, please post a photo. I would like to see what they look like. I have always just done IC pin straightening with my fingernails but if there is a tool to do it that would be great.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I got one, but I don't know where at the moment. Obviously, it don't get used much...it is usually easier to use Andrew's method. Mine only works in one direction, toward or away from the body of the chip, so if the pin is bent the other way, toward the other pins, you're still SOL. If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

--T

I got one, but I don't know where at the moment. Obviously, it don't get used much...it is usually easier to use Andrew's method. Mine only works in one direction, toward or away from the body of the chip, so if the pin is bent the other way, toward the other pins, you're still SOL. If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

I use a pair of smooth jawed duckbill pliers. Smooth-jawed needlenose should also work.

I used to just use my fingers until I got more concerned about ESD (though I didn't have it short anything) so I started using needle nose pliers which is pretty easy length wise.

What I find works really nicely, for pins bent in any direction, is a manual wire-wrap tool.

Just slip the WW socket hole over the pin and gently bend it back to it's original position. If you're worried about ESD, then you can ground the tool with an alligator jumper cable

Yeah, I've used all of the above mentioned methods to straighten the pins but I use machine sockets in my kits (most of them) and the EPROM's I get recycled have some bent pins. Most people know how much of a pain the EPROM's can be installing but with machined sockets it can be ugly. I haven't used one but I thought it would be better than the way I have been doing it.

Terry, you have one, have you used it? Is it not worth the trouble?

Vince

Terry, you have one, have you used it? Is it not worth the trouble?

Vince

Not much. Mebbe if you have a whole pile of chips to do all at once, but if it's only a few pins, it's quicker to just do it by hand, rather than dig around for the insidious device. And, as I said, mine only works for in & out, not side - side. Even with the thing, if the pin is bent too far, it still needs to be doctored a little just to get it into the slots. It's pretty old, so I imagine there are better ones on the market these days. I've been looking, but haven't located it yet. (I have this very bad habit of leaving my toys laying around, cause if it ain't in plain sight, it's as good as gone forever. She, OTOH, has a habit of going around picking these things up and disappearing them into baggies, which are then stuffed into small boxes, which are packed into larger boxes, etc. Tryng to find anything is like a Chinese puzzle).
As to what it looks like, it's very similar to a ZIF socket, but with slots instead of separate holes for each pin, and it clamps in the other direction to flatten out the pins.

--T

Back