• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Non-booting Compaq Deskpro 386/S

paul.brett

Experienced Member
I have a problem with my Compaq Deskpro 386/S, in that it wont boot.

Everytime I turn on, it says it has lost the setup values. I press F10 when the cursor flashes in the top right of the screen, and it auto-detects the non default stuff :

5¼" floppy drive B:
Type 22 hard disk

...however, a reboot later, and it's all forgotten again!

Can anybody point me to where I can find the battery on this thing? And where I might be able to find a replacement?

Paul.

Battery found!

Battery found!

Forget pervious post - I found a Dallas DS1287 under the drive cage.

Now, all I nedd to know is; where's the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get a replacement in the U.K?

Paul

Now, all I nedd to know is; where's the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get a replacement in the U.K?

Paul

Good luck on finding a replacement.

The battery is located inside the chip, and the best way to fix it is to manually open it, remove the old battery somehow, solder wires to where the battery was connected, close the chip with the two wires coming out of it, and connect the wires to a new battery whitch you place on thop of the chip.

It's a lot of work, but changing the battery a later time will be 10 times easier than getting a new and working clock chip.

More details can be revealed with a search on Google.

Paul

I just bought two DS12887 here: http://www.futurlec.com/index.shtml which is compatible with the DS1287
I believe the have the DS1287
I got the chips 5 days after I placed my order...they are located in Thailand

Good luck on finding a replacement.

The battery is located inside the chip, and the best way to fix it is to manually open it, remove the old battery somehow, solder wires to where the battery was connected, close the chip with the two wires coming out of it, and connect the wires to a new battery whitch you place on thop of the chip.

It's a lot of work, but changing the battery a later time will be 10 times easier than getting a new and working clock chip.

More details can be revealed with a search on Google.

I can help narrow down where to look as I documented the installation of a new battery.

DS1287 supply

DS1287 supply

I just bought two DS12887 here: http://www.futurlec.com/index.shtml which is compatible with the DS1287
I believe the have the DS1287
I got the chips 5 days after I placed my order...they are located in Thailand

I've decided to forgo the mess of repairing the DS1287 for now, and ordered one from this recommended site. I'm hoping I don't get shafted.

I'll post back when it arrives, and let you know if this resolves the problem.

I have had 100% good results with all my Asia purchases (CPUs, Batteries, RAM chips). Plus I get the beautiful huge Chinese stamps to marvel over!

Back