• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

What to do with 196 simms 72pin & 39 30pin simms?

rmay635703

Veteran Member
I have to admit, I am probably about done with vintage computing and computers in general.

I will keep a few oldies for myself but the rest is probably going to go, sad part is now with the economy it seems like I can't sell it off like I used too. Some stuff I have found I get paid per pound if I dissassemble for the aluminum, copper and sheet metal.

Anywho what is the best way to sell off old simms 4mb-32mb?? I really don't want to try to identify each one but I know there is a mix of 60 & 70ns parity and non parity, some edo, a handfull of the IBM/Compaq only types and a few low density oddities that let you update the old compaq deskpros to 12 or 16mb. Ebay doesn't seem to work anymore. (and yes I probably have many more than 192 but that is just what happens to be in my box, there may be bigger sizes as well if I didn't use them all)

Thank You For Any Ideas, I was thinking of selling them as keychains at the craft shows and making motherboards into clocks as I don't have much use for them anymore.

Cheers
Ryan

Ryan I know oh to well, oh to well what you are going thought, back in November I toke on a large project with my local school, to remove and haul off 100’s of computers from 8086’s all the way up to 2.8 GHz’s. 100’s of IBM 486 Eduquest systems. I thought I would make lots of money from them, but the way the economy is, they are worthless. In light of that I just started (last two days) hauling mass loads to the landfill of what I had already collected for sale and for myself, I offered the stuff free here less than 5 people answered less then that even sent the cash for shipping, I mean good free stuff 8-bit sound blaster cards Model M keyboards 486 gaming systems ect ect. There still it’s 100’s of systems at the school headed for the landfill too.

So long story short, Offer them for free here if no takers just haul to the landfill, very depressing and upsetting but what is there to do. I/you can only save and take on so much, In light of all this I share you feeling in being done with computers vintage and new!

Ryan I know oh to well, oh to well what you are going thought, back in November I toke on a large project with my local school, to remove and haul off 100’s of computers from 8086’s all the way up to 2.8 GHz’s. 100’s of IBM 486 Eduquest systems. I thought I would make lots of money from them, but the way the economy is, they are worthless. In light of that I just started (last two days) hauling mass loads to the landfill of what I had already collected for sale and for myself, I offered the stuff free here less than 5 people answered less then that even sent the cash for shipping, I mean good free stuff 8-bit sound blaster cards Model M keyboards 486 gaming systems ect ect. There still it’s 100’s of systems at the school headed for the landfill too.

So long story short, Offer them for free here if no takers just haul to the landfill, very depressing and upsetting but what is there to do. I/you can only save and take on so much, In light of all this I share you feeling in being done with computers vintage and new!

Did somebody say...EduQuest systems????

I love those little suckers! They're model 25's on steroids... :D

Do you still have any left (or at the school)? Willing to part with 1 for shipping cost? I at least have to try... ;)

Heck, if they include a clean model M (or the "compact" model M missing the numeric pad), I'll gladly buy that and pay shipping. Model M's still sell (albeit not for as much, but when clean they still sell).

Ebay is still a good way to sell all that stuff. Sell the memory by the lb. There are still people scooping it up but they don't pay as much as before. The mother boards might sell for 1 to 4 dollars each as scrap. Gold and silver as well as other metals are still in demand. Gold is very high despite the economy. Look at kitco.com

Me, I am mothballing about 100 computers in the attic of my warehouse. I know it's not the best place to put them, but for the long term, I need the space and most of them will end up becoming very valuable in the long run. Mostly 486 systems. A photo of each one and they get bagged with a tag. Ten years from now, we will see if it pans out. I got nothing to lose because I got them for free!!!

Definitley offer them here, people like me spread the word to other places and I actually try to get locals to take them (just spreading the word, I hate to see any of it go to dumps, even 486's).

Wish you were closer, I'd make a rescue mission out of it.

Guys, too late now, they have already been crushed to bits in the last few days in the landfill, box’s and box’s of model m’s, Hard drives, 8 bit cards, 16 bit cards 100’s of P1 and up systems and 100’s of 486’s.

Two 25 foot truck loads full. And that’s not counting the displays, I won’t dump those in the land fill!

I posted this stuff back in NOV, and kept the extra for that long no one wanted it so it had to go sometime!

Last edited:
I am a bit more hardcore than some, I tear down equipment to the boards, get paid cash for the wires and metal and trash the plastic.

Anyway I do expect some cash from the very old machines like my XTs and PCs, the commdore stuff along with the 1976 computer portrait machine (I intend to keep many of them) but the 286/386/486/586 systems will probably get scrapped, I would prefer to get paid something for my time if I unload them as I do get $1-$5 each for scrap value (though that may have changed, looks like scrap is cheaper now)

Ah well, I have to mull over what I am going to do, if your interested in simms make an offer for the group as I have been disconnected from the scene long enough that I no longer have any idea what to ask for them.

Cheers
Ryan

Scrap CPU's are going for around $25.00 to $35.00 a lb. I have seen some gold scrap parts sell for close to $100.00 a lb.

The volume of computers you scraped just boggles my mind. Freecycle would have been a good place to offer them.

Ya I scrpped and removed and sold CPUS all I could get out of them, I tried to give them away free (before scapping) on the fourms here my local paper and stuff like Freecycle ect

Scrap CPU's are going for around $25.00 to $35.00 a lb. I have seen some gold scrap parts sell for close to $100.00 a lb.

The volume of computers you scraped just boggles my mind. Freecycle would have been a good place to offer them.

Motherboards in NJ go for about $0.95 per pound. The white steel cases are about $20 per hundred.

I was left with a garbage bag of recyclyable plastic from the 20+ that I recycled.

Guys, too late now, they have already been crushed to bits in the last few days in the landfill, box’s and box’s of model m’s, Hard drives, 8 bit cards, 16 bit cards 100’s of P1 and up systems and 100’s of 486’s.

Two 25 foot truck loads full. And that’s not counting the displays, I won’t dump those in the land fill!

I posted this stuff back in NOV, and kept the extra for that long no one wanted it so it had to go sometime!

I think I just cried a little. Yup, definitely not allergies. :(

Dang guys...

Save me all of the following socketed chips:

EPROMs
NON-Intel CPUs (6502/6809/Z80/etc)
All chipset chips (6522, 6821, 8254, etc)
All SRAM and DRAM chips (not simm/dimm)
Any GAL, PEEL, or PALCE chips (Not PAL or HAL unless on an Apple II or other old collectable computer)
Any 4000/4500 series CMOS
Any 74xx series chips

And any other socketed chip that you think I may be interested in.

I'll pay for 'em and shipping via PayPal. USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes work well for that stuff too.

It'll at least keep some of the parts out of the dump. I can't pay top dollar but will pay for them.

By the way: If you are storing old motherboards and computers for long term then take ALL NiCd and other batteries off of them! I picked up several 386/486 motherboards for scrap chips that were in storage. Most had severe battery damage.

Raymond

Tell me about it. I picked up an IBM 5150 PC from a guy on Craigslist.
Don't usually think of batteries leaking on these older systems. Opened
it up and first saw the 16-64 KB motherboard (yeah) , then noticed a
small pile of white/green powder in the middle of the mobo, and right
above it one of those multifunction cards with a clock, and a dripping
NiCad battery. Fortunately was able to cleanup the mess and it didnt
do any permanent damage, PC still works.

By the way: If you are storing old motherboards and computers for long term then take ALL NiCd and other batteries off of them! I picked up several 386/486 motherboards for scrap chips that were in storage. Most had severe battery damage.

Raymond

Hmm, seems like a better candidate for a recycling center than a landfill.
At least the raw materials could be re-used for something :-(

This is wild west land, Southwest Montana, No such thing as recycling centers for comptuters. It's still old fashion around here!

There really isn't here in wisconsin either but you can always tear em down yourself, have fun smashing things and get paid for the copper, sheet metal and any aluminum you find.

I was getting about $10 from the scrap from each broken monitor I broke down, the copper alone in there did it plus some sheet metal and of coarse the cast iron screen inside the tube.

Nice part was I could bring the leaded glass from the tube to the hazardous waste center and not pay and plus got paid for everything else, there even used to be a guy in the area that paid per pound for circuit boards, why no one does that anymore I can't figure.

Does anyone know of places that buy up populated circuit board scrap anymore? I can't seem to find anyone in wisconsin doing for the recycling aspect anymore.

I guess my method will be determine what I actually have, sell off some to member for a few bucks (there is one nearby), sell off my more valuable items on epay if I feel the need and recycle the rest since we have good paying salvage joints nearby.

When the economy cratered the recycling market went with it (low demand because use was dropping and price went with it). Plenty of copper went into circuit boards and home wiring and those markets have slowed quite a bit.

Sad as it is, I do the same thing... none of it sells any longer so I just scrap it.

For boards that I've taken the brackets, heatsinks, and batteries off of I get $1.60/lb. Pentium and below CPU's are $20/lb, PII/PIII are $10/lb.

I used to make a good amount off aluminum, but now that's down to 40c/lb or so so it takes a LOT!

So do you make any money scrapping machines out? There are a few recycling places here that resell items at stupid prices, they must make some money or they would have quit by now. You would need a lot of warehouse space and be able to sit on items a long time to do what they do.

I do. I made about $600 last week with a minivan load of boards.

Back