• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trantor T130B + IBM 5150 = defeated JDT

Can you tell if that's coming from the card, or from the driver you're loading ?
patscc

it comes from the card, when the bios is enabled.
with the bios disabled, I just get two lines of text from the card stating what the card is, nothing about the drive.

loading the driver (with or without bios enabled) results in the card being identified and the drive being listed as direct access device 0

one more thing, im playing with all the addresses and IO ports.. I've found that:
350H causes a lock w/ floppy drive running,
340H starts to post bios and dumps to basic instead.
250H & 240H carry the same end result of locking upon disk write.

CA000H -
CE000H - results in dump to basic as apposed to booting

damnit... it seems using an IO port with a memory address "works" with one address but not others, by works i mean boots to hard drive but still no writing...

too many combination... gah!

should zero wait state be on or off?
per chance problem with using dos 6.22?

Last edited:
I have a very similar problem with my Trantor T-130B. When I tried a copy con to create a batch file, I got a divide overflow error, my system hung and refused to recognize the scsi device on the next bootup.

I think the Trantor would work best for CD-ROM drives, which cannot be written to.

Dos

Dos

I don't think the DOS version has any thing to do with it, I'm trying with DOS 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3. My problems occurred before the OS even loads.

I've tried a different tack. Even though the card looks clean, I soaked the card in degreaser/defluxer, let it dry and am now letting it bake for a complete dry. We'll see what happens.
patscc

I don't think the DOS version has any thing to do with it, I'm trying with DOS 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3. My problems occurred before the OS even loads.

I've tried a different tack. Even though the card looks clean, I soaked the card in degreaser/defluxer, let it dry and am now letting it bake for a complete dry. We'll see what happens.
patscc

If you've got a spare Pentium or later system with ISA slots, you might want to compare operation with the 5150.

I also believe that Linux supports the T130B--and so probably does NetBSD.

Ya never know what could be lurking in the drivers...

multiple systems

multiple systems

Chuck(G) said...If you've got a spare Pentium or later system with ISA slots
Good idea. I'd tried it in a 486 & P75, and that's when I decided to regroup since it didn't seem to make much of difference( except the wait-state jumper, that works) and give a thorough cleansing. It'll probably be the weekend before I fiddle with it again.
patscc

ok so... I had a weird freak p4 mobo laying around... had ISA slots in it... I booted one of my drives and was able to read and write to it... so that card just must not like the PC's setup at the momment... still waiting on v20 chip... hoping that may resolve issue.

thank you ChannelManiac! This fine fellow sent me a v20 CPU for my 5150... I replaced the stock 8088 with it and BAM, I can read and write to the hard drive after booting from it!

So as someone had theorized, the T130B doesnt seem to like the 8088 cpu.. /shrug

oh happy days... i had been wrestling with that card for more than a year! weeeeee!

Okay, so I'm not hallucinating when it runs on my V20-equipped system. That's good--I sometimes have a tenuous grip on reality. :(

So it essentially means that some 186/286 instructions are being used in the 4.15 BIOS ROM. This suggests that the write code doesn't check for 8088 CPU correctly.

If anyone's interested, I can probe a bit more into the BIOS.

thank you ChannelManiac! This fine fellow sent me a v20 CPU for my 5150... I replaced the stock 8088 with it and BAM, I can read and write to the hard drive after booting from it!

So as someone had theorized, the T130B doesnt seem to like the 8088 cpu.. /shrug

oh happy days... i had been wrestling with that card for more than a year! weeeeee!

WOOHOO!

Glad it found a good home. :D

RJ

halucnation

halucnation

The wind in my sails kinda died when I discovered that my archaic dissasembler wasn't doing a second pass correctly( and that a newer opensource one oddly enough hiccuped on the same spots), so I put it all on the back burner for a while.
Since the bake, I haven't fired it up yet.

Chuck(G), where'd that 4.15 BIOS come from ? I though we're all looking at a 2.14 version ?
Did I get my revisions mixed again ?

Glad to here that at least it working on something, somewhere.

Did G.H. (sorry, G.H., it's too much to type quickly) ever post back with his configuration, since apparently he's got it working on a 8088 ?

patscc

Eh, the 4.15 was for my ST01, not the T130B. I have a hard time keeping all those numbers straight. :)

GH reported results the same as JDT did with the 8088--readee, no writee.

I think i should add that my experience... the disk indeed would write, however would imediatly lock and the hdd act light would stay on, say i did a copy con of config.sys and soon as a wrote it to disk, it wrote the file, but then locked with a blinking cursor and no prompt. like the machine was waiting for a confirmation from the controller or drive that the write had completed. but upon a reboot, the config.sys would be there, with what i had put in it. Same thing with making directories. Didnt work with copying files from one place to another though.

maybe i have no idea what im talking about... its been known to happen.

usefull

usefull

No, that's actually a pretty useful diagnostic.
Since mine isn't yet up and working, can you test it with different file sizes ?
Something under 62k, and something over 66 K ?
If you've got the inclination, <30k , >34 k & > 130k as well.
If you have something where you can actually verify the integrity of the file, that'd be great.

patscc

No, that's actually a pretty useful diagnostic.
Since mine isn't yet up and working, can you test it with different file sizes ?
Something under 62k, and something over 66 K ?
If you've got the inclination, <30k , >34 k & > 130k as well.
If you have something where you can actually verify the integrity of the file, that'd be great.

patscc

I can do that, but the darned evil beast started coming up with a 402E 201 errors (or something similar). Its a memory issue, obviously. If I config the board down to 512 it works fine. as soon as I try to set it back to 640, its unhappy. not sure about the E on the end, I thought memory erros gave 4digit memory locations. Im using a MF-100 memory/IO card. Anyway as soon as I fingure this out I will run those tests.

I have the same SCSI card and have the same problem on a Tandy 1000SX, running a NEC V20 CPU. I boot off of my "B" floppy and then everything is okay. Bugs me though, as to why the BIOS doesn't see the boot sector on the SCSI setup. Problem seems to be universal. I'm thowing in with the guys developing the new 8-bit IDE controlled (Hargle).

I have the same SCSI card and have the same problem on a Tandy 1000SX, running a NEC V20 CPU. I boot off of my "B" floppy and then everything is okay. Bugs me though, as to why the BIOS doesn't see the boot sector on the SCSI setup. Problem seems to be universal. I'm thowing in with the guys developing the new 8-bit IDE controlled (Hargle).

Interesting. I've had success using the T130B in my 1000SX (with a 286-Express accelerator installed).

You mention a boot sector problem... Did you use the TFORMAT utility to format/partition the disk?

You've got a real sweetheat with that 286 card! I would think that that 286 card has its own BIOS setup.

Back again. No, I did not use the TFORMAT routine. I'll try that the next time I pull off the shelf.

Back