• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gopher Sites

TomFCS

Experienced Member
I was thinking today about early electronic communication, BBS's whatever, and realized that I hadn't thought about gopher sites in years. Quick google turned up this site with links to seven still active ones. Kind of cool. I assumed they had all but completely disappeared long ago.

http://www.tekeeze.com/fun-sites/7-fun-sites-you-can-only-find-on-the-gopher-internet

Have fun!

Now if I could just remember what the name of the software I used to use to access them way back then was...

Tom

I've got the U of M wattcp version. I just tried it with floodgate.com and things look good. It's too bad this is not more popular because it sure beats those pathetic flash sites for speed and elegance.

This U of M client is a bit finicky though. You have to tell it where to go or it's broken. It's one of those programs which doesn't check for Ctrl-C and it hung because I didn't give it a site to go to. When I hit Ctrl-Brk it rebooted. Oh well, a lot of these DOS internet programs never got finished and we're left with broken stuff. I can't write one myself so I live with it. :)

PS: I think the wattcp client is readily available on the net but if not, I can e-mail it to someone.

Actually, a few weeks ago I have been fooling around trying to set up my own gopher site, to make the ftp archive more accessible.

The server is easy to get running, but I'm having some problems making the files visible.
Anyone remember something about that?

I know an index file in the root is necessary, but not in all subdirs, I hope- that would be impossible to keep up to date.
I thought if there is no index, it would simply show up like a sort of FTP tree.

Currently I'm trying Gofish server under NetBSD
Firefox still supports Gopher protocol, no problem.

Back