• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

'Hard' decisions

per

Veteran Member
As most of you know, I've now gotten two XTs. However, I got only one desk. Now the big question is: Which of the XTs should I have on my desk?

XT one:
  • 64/256 model
  • Trying to keep it as IBM/Original as possible
  • Monochrome IBM monitor (5151)
  • Only 2 FH 360Kb FDDs
  • 512Kb RAM (because of the IBM 64/256Kb RAM Option card)
  • 8087 installed
  • Norwegian/Danish keyboard layout
  • Norwegian/Danish character ROM on the MDA card
  • 130W PSU @ 240V, 50Hz
  • I'm familiar with this system as of I have used it for some time

XT two:
  • Highly possible 256/640 model
  • Don't really care about what expansion cards installed
  • Color IBM monitor (5153)
  • 1 FH 360Kb FDD and 1 HH 720Kb FDD
  • Highly possible 640Kb RAM
  • Assuming no 8087 installed
  • US keyboard layout
  • US character ROM on the MDA card
  • PSU @ 120V, 60Hz
  • I have to setup a Boot disk and program disk before I can start to use it

As you see, I can problably get more use out of XT two, but then I'll not have the special characters "Ø" or "ø" and the keyboard will be unfamiliar. I don't want to swich keyboards, and I will not switch display adapters either.

Any suggestions?

lol .. I second the desk idea. It depends on if it's there to make you happy or others. If it's others then I'd do the second machine despite the first being beautifully original, the second will have color and you would have an easier time loading a few games on there and getting folks to say "That's pretty cool."

But again.. if it's just you that's admiring it then of course admire your first legit system.

lol .. I second the desk idea. It depends on if it's there to make you happy or others. If it's others then I'd do the second machine despite the first being beautifully original, the second will have color and you would have an easier time loading a few games on there and getting folks to say "That's pretty cool."

But again.. if it's just you that's admiring it then of course admire your first legit system.

The desk idea would have been the smartest... BUT then I have to replace my bed because it's in the way then, and that will cost me many times what I paid for (shipping) my new XT.

I could of course keep it on the floor, or in the lower storey of my bed along with lots of my other stuff*, or would it collect too much dust then?

*(an PII computer [Comapq desktop with both PCI and ISA bus slots, easy to open. Possible future testing system], a working Nintendo 64 with two partly deffect controllers and no games [my parents didn't want to buy us one back in 1996, so I just had to have it], some old Norwegian vacum-tube AM radio [I'd love to get it to work, but I have no idea what's wrong with it], All my PC software that's not on floppies [piled in two big piles], a 3/4 size guitar, 1Kg of iron wire [might come in handy], my multi-screwdriver tool [includes IC handeling tools too], random sheets of paper and some plastbags.)

*Edit*
I'll post a picture of my room tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have many vintage machines, and what I do is just periodically rotate
two machines onto my desk. I currently have my IBM XT and AT. Couple
weeks ago I had my Tandy 1000 and an XT clone. Next week, who knows :)
Maybe a 286 clone. I have a bunch of 286/386/486 clone mobos and one nice
AT clone case that I often change motherboards in.

I just enjoy tinkering with these old machines and all the different mobo's.
Don't really use them for anything productive, just playing :)

Stack 'em, sling a couple of keyboard tray drawers under the desktop, and get a swing-out mounting arm for one of the monitors...problem solved.

--T

Oh! Terry stole my thunder. But I am determined to one-up him :) I suggest acquiring a couple of "keyboard extension cables", one for each XT and using them to allow quick switching of the Danish keyboard to either computer. You could switch often enough to keep both hard drives from freezing up (I think that helps, anyway) and there would be no stress on the solder joints of the computer's DIN jack from having the keyboard plugged in and out of it all the time. I actually have used two early IBM computers stacked on top of each other and don't remember any neck strain.

As for the extra monitor, you could attempt to find a couple of monitor stands and arms that would allow you to swing the unused monitor out of the way.

As for startup disks, why not make one from the contents of the C:/ drive on the working computer? You could clone it that way, you'd just need to add files for hardware that isn't in the working computer.

Sean, thinking, "Maybe I should do this..."

Oh! Terry stole my thunder. But I am determined to one-up him :) I suggest acquiring a couple of "keyboard extension cables", one for each XT and using them to allow quick switching of the Danish keyboard to either computer. You could switch often enough to keep both hard drives from freezing up (I think that helps, anyway) and there would be no stress on the solder joints of the computer's DIN jack from having the keyboard plugged in and out of it all the time. I actually have used two early IBM computers stacked on top of each other and don't remember any neck strain.

As for the extra monitor, you could attempt to find a couple of monitor stands and arms that would allow you to swing the unused monitor out of the way.

As for startup disks, why not make one from the contents of the C:/ drive on the working computer? You could clone it that way, you'd just need to add files for hardware that isn't in the working computer.

Sean, thinking, "Maybe I should do this..."

What hard drive?

My XT-one has only floppy drives...

Per,

That's a very sensible way to configure an XT. What do you use it for?

Sean

I use it for games, and programming.

As of my room (It has been my room since I was about 2 years old), here is some pictures; in normal condition, as when I use my XT, some of my books and "some of my stuff":

*Edit*
Now the next probmem: An 240v -> 120v converter. I can't seem to get them above 100W. I really have no idea how many Watts the american XT + CGA monitor uses.

Last edited:
I see the problem now! Maybe you could add a shelf at the end of the bottom bunk. Another idea that I've done to get more stuff in a small space is hang a monitor from the ceiling. One good hook will do it and you sling it at an angle so you can see it well. That looks cool too.

*Edit*
Now the next probmem: An 240v -> 120v converter. I can't seem to get them above 100W. I really have no idea how many Watts the american XT + CGA monitor uses.

Jameco carries them up to 1.5KVA.

You can also roll your own if you can find a big transformer with a "universal" (120/240v) set of primary windings. The secondary voltage is irrelevant, as you're only interested in the primary.

Back