• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Upgrade of my monitor inventory

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I was dissatisfied with my inventory of older monitors and lifted them out of their racks and got fuller info. In my rabid collecting days I grabbed and kept every interesting monitor which worked.

So here's a revamped list of them with model #s and names. They are mainly Intel compatible and except for the Quad, I don't know which are EGA capable. I do have many other newer monitors and my treasured NEC Multisyncs. None of these below have been tested for at least a decade. That's on my urgent "To-Do" list. :^) Motivate me.

TVM Dual-Display- Hi-Res Mono model MG-ll. 9-pin.
Has TTL-Analogue switch.

Compaq Mono Hi-Res model 411 VGA 9-pin. The clarity is only matched by my Next Mono.

Taxan Multi-Vision 770 Plus Color. Analogue switches. Model SV775U.

Quadchrome m. HX12 (1984 date) EGA capable.

Tatung Color m. CN-1322N 9-pin

Tatung MM1295 ttl-ANALOGUE, SHADE-MODE, SWITCHES. likely mono. 9-pin

Samtron(Samsung) SC431 V-ll 15-pin

AOC non-interlaced Color CM346 15-pin

IBM PS/2 color m.8212001 15-pin

Magnavox Pro 7BM749 for Mac 15-pin (might be a multi-sync wth used w/ vga adapter)

2x IBM 5153 Color Monitors

2x IBM 5151 mono monitors.

I also have numerous treasured NEC multisync monitors including the first one, which I can't bother getting the model#s of, and other platform specific Atari, Commodore, IBM, etc, and DEC monitors. Some of these are also available. Only a few computers in my collection are sacrosanc, to go with me to my grave. :^).

There are many other parts, peripherals, etc, not mentioned. Just ask if you are interested or looking for something. PM me.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Yes, it's odd how we stash this stuff away isn't it ......I even grabbed a
few monitors that didn't work !
So now I have a monitor 'collection' too :)
Two main monitors inside on my desk I use regularly, a 5154 and a 5153.
And a bunch of other monitors piled on/under my bench in the garage

2x IBM 5154 EGA working
4x IBM 5154 EGA non working (probably repairable PS problems)
1x IBM 5175 PGA working
1x IBM 5153 CGA working

NO IBM 5151's , still looking for one of those

I plan on looking at "vintage glass" for many more years so not planning on getting
rid of any of this stuff yet. Hopefully will have time someday to repair some of those 5154's

Last edited:
Wow ! That 5175 has to be rare. I remember reading about the PGA (Professonal Graphics Adapter) in an Osborne book about IBM video systems. Does one need a PGA card to use it ?

I kept a 5173 (?) monitor for years, hoping I would one day get a video card for it. IIRC it was somewhere between a CGA and EGA in capabilities. I seem to remember the adaptor had a 2-card form like the EGAs. I eventually abandoned it along with a bunch of XTs, ATs, and other stuff when I made my long trek out here from Toronto. One of the boxes, a 386 I think, had SIPP memory, and I spent about 4 years trying to find them for my beloved Grid LT. Curses !

Lawrence

Yes, you do need a PGA card for the 5175. Although there is
a hardware modification that allows you to run the 5175 from a VGA card.

I found this 5175 on my local Craigslist and it came with an IBM PGA card.
I haven't used it much as there isnt much software available that
makes use of the PGA capabilities. It does however have a very nice
CGA emulation mode that looks great. Too bad they didnt support
EGA :-(

All I want is a damn multisync monitor that will do CGA and EGA so I can test the cards I have (I've been able to test them on a composite, but that isn't FULLY tested and I don't put anything on my site that isn't) and put them on the site for sale.

It isn't as tho I have no other concerns. For example today it was trying to get one of my computers to recognse my digital camera. A cheapo whch replaced a more expensive cheapo which died, and after a major hiccup on several boxes, even tho I can see the stored photos on the camera, W98 won't accept it as a removeable drive. So I can't even send you photos of the Taxan.

A local who I've been trying to get come over and check whether my ceiling is fallng down, doesn't understand what "pound on the door" means, since my doorbell is out, and I've also spent most of this evening figuring out how to get my doorbell working, so he won't have any excuse. The chimes work, the buzzer which I took off another door also seems to, so I've been rewiring the buzzer and tryng to make a cobbled together 12V system to power it, since you can't get a doorbell transformer here in town. Would you believe a 12v wall-wart wth an automotive cigarette-lighter socket, and an automotive lighter socket plug wth bare-wires to provide 12v to the chimes ? Close up it works, but not with the buzzer, even tho I thought I had checked out the continuty of the wres from the buzzer.

Oh well, I hope the ignorant SOB comes by again tomorrow and when he doesn't get a response, simply comes in thru my unlocked country door and let's me know he's here.

Temperature at the moment here. -22 Celcus. Warmer than last night's -31 .

Life is so hard, and then you die. (Can't remember the source to give creditation to. He likely had a bad sex life.)

Lawrence

Last edited:
Just drill two tiny little holes in the push button for the door bell so that the wires poke out when it's pushed.

Plug the other ends of the wires into a 120V outlet.

When you hear a scream, you know someone is at the door :)

That's tempting, especially for the bll collectors or evangelists, but occasionally I get an unknown nice person. In any case the holes are all drilled, the wires strung, my unused buzzer from the front door and a 12v, 1000 W wallwart replaced the things I couldn"t get at the hardware store, and I now have a doorbell after 8 years. Too many people don't comprehend what KNOCK LOUDLY means and would turn away after a few polite raps.

I was also assured today after inspection that my 2nd floor wouldn't fall down on me. On reading your note above I immediately went up and brought the Taxan out of the cold balcony and into the warmth of my bedroom to warm up overnight, to be worked on tomorrow. Almost sounds erotic.

Lawrence

Back