• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: IBM model 55SX

dcjjg

I am looking for a working IBM model 55SX with 4.0 DOS. I am not a collector, just looking to replace a 19 year old computer with one that works. Thank you!

I am looking for a working IBM model 55SX with 4.0 DOS. I am not a collector, just looking to replace a 19 year old computer with one that works.

What is wrong with the existing unit? Why DOS 4.0 in particular? Works doing what?

i have an m57 model... it is a 486 slc2 model...

it is fully functional and its microchannel...

i can probably dig up a copy of dos 4 to install on it too...

let me know...

later,
Chris

thunderlizard2000 on ebay had one that ended 3/3 starting bid was .99 with a buy it now of $50.00 and it didn't sell. It looked like it was in real nice condition, only it wouldn't boot up. Maybe it needs a battery.

This auction is for an IBM personal system 2 computer, model 55sx. I got this in a box of stuff. Plugged it into a monitor I have just to see what would happen. The monitor shows what came up when I turned it on. I have no idea what it means. I have not done anything more with this system. System is being sold AS-IS no returns or refunds. Please ask any questions before bidding. Would be willing to sell the monitor as well, compaq model , 15 inches with side mount speakers. Use buy-it-now and get free shipping, (lower 48 only).

Item number: 220368032724

Item location: Pigeon, MI,

100% Positive feedback

I don't see it relisted but if you contacted him and asked, well..you never know. Make him an offer.

I agree, make Thunderlizard an offer. I do that frequently. Seller will usually relist again or sell it to me outright.

The 55SX died last summer. After having it in for repairs the (young) tech said the hard drive was fried and now I have two partial PS/2 55SX's that don't work. I am new to windows and the DOS 4.0 system was the only one I ever operated. I have many files on disks that operated off of the 4.0 system. I do not remember the error code that came up, I do know the battery was fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Duane

The 55SX died last summer. After having it in for repairs the (young) tech said the hard drive was fried and now I have two partial PS/2 55SX's that don't work. I am new to windows and the DOS 4.0 system was the only one I ever operated. I have many files on disks that operated off of the 4.0 system. I do not remember the error code that came up, I do know the battery was fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Duane

The 9557 offered above will run SCSI hard drives and get you further than the ¨DBA ESDI¨ of the 55SX. I recommend an upgrade. You don´t have to stay with that DOS version (which wasn´t received well anyway), and the software you have will run better on later DOS versions.

The 9557 offered above will run SCSI hard drives and get you further than the ¨DBA ESDI¨ of the 55SX. I recommend an upgrade. You don´t have to stay with that DOS version (which wasn´t received well anyway), and the software you have will run better on later DOS versions.

Please be patient with me, I have no idea what "9557---SCSI" or "DBA ESDI" is. I don't have a complete computer anymore, only parts of two model 55Sx's. Don't give up on me, I was born with nothing and still have most of it left!

drives

drives

Just geek-talk, the ESDI's are what are in your box. It's a type of hard drive interface.
Are the files you're concerned about on the hard drive, or on floppies ?

Most programs that ran under DOS 4.0 run under later versions.
You mention Windows, was that on the 55's, or do you have another, newer computer ?

If you can descibe what you're trying to do, folks can probably help you migrate (sorry, that's geektoid for move) your data from the floppies onto something newer.

patscc

Just geek-talk, the ESDI's are what are in your box. It's a type of hard drive interface.
Are the files you're concerned about on the hard drive, or on floppies ?

Most programs that ran under DOS 4.0 run under later versions.
You mention Windows, was that on the 55's, or do you have another, newer computer ?

If you can descibe what you're trying to do, folks can probably help you migrate (sorry, that's geektoid for move) your data from the floppies onto something newer.

patscc

Thank you Sir, the files I am concerned about are on floppies but the program (MINDREAD) was on the hard drive. I would be happier than a tick on a dog if I could only find a way to read the floppies and either print them out or add to them. This message is being done on another computer, Windows 2000.

do you still have the hard drives? if it was another problem with the computer such as the battery inside dying (very very very common no boot problem). your tech might have misdiagnosed, if you want i can try and see if i can get the drive to work. i also can transfer the files on the diskettes over on to cd you can use on your win 2000 box.

do you still have the hard drives? if it was another problem with the computer such as the battery inside dying (very very very common no boot problem). your tech might have misdiagnosed, if you want i can try and see if i can get the drive to work. i also can transfer the files on the diskettes over on to cd you can use on your win 2000 box.

Correct, and without the Reference Diskette being run, the hard drive would not be set for the system to read the drive...

Mindread

Mindread

I seem to remember there's some editing info embedded, but it's easily strippable. It's not a compound doc file like word.
patscc

yep

yep

Yep. Same idea, probably different codes, though.
Now I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something from that era that will open them.
patscc

Correct, and without the Reference Diskette being run, the hard drive would not be set for the system to read the drive...

I do not have the hard drives. I do have the Reference Diskette but do not remenber what the error code was before I took it in. It was not a bad/dead/defective battery. I do believe it was misdiagnosed but is a little late now.

Mindread, as in the text processor ?
patscc

I do not know what "text processor" is. On the program "Mindread", I could write letters, it had an address book and I made a lot of files that are saved on floppies. It may have been like the Microsoft program but I just got used to using Mindread.

Yep. Same idea, probably different codes, though.
Now I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something from that era that will open them.
patscc

I googled Mindread and it came up with a mindread.zip, the explination of the program sounds very much like the mindread I was using. Could that be possable?

Back