• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: IBM model 55SX

word processor

word processor

Sorry, meant word processor. Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of.
You might want to post a post in the "Wanted" section of the forum & see if anyone has a copy of the disks for MINDREADER.
If you can get hold of the installation disks, that's a big step and then we can address what machine to run it on, since you won't necessarily need the PS/2's anymore.
patscc

Sorry, meant word processor. Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of.
You might want to post a post in the "Wanted" section of the forum & see if anyone has a copy of the disks for MINDREADER.
If you can get hold of the installation disks, that's a big step and then we can address what machine to run it on, since you won't necessarily need the PS/2's anymore.
patscc

I made a backup copy of Mindread before the computer quit. It fit on one disk but I would not have a clue how to load it. Would that somehow be able to work on windows? On the 55sx I could go into the shell and see file names and sizes etc. but with windows I don't even know how to get in the "A" drive.

What you could do is get a copy of Meuller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs". It is available for free on the web and could demystify all that scary stuff as well as extensive coverage of IBM PS/2s, includng the 55x and the 57. Once you get it working, forget DOS 4, it was an abomination and the worst DOS of all time. Dos 6.22 uses the same and more commands so you should have no problems running your programs. Mueller explains simply how you use the "reference" disks in getting your PS/2 up and going. Later on you can use your knowledge of "point and click" to more easily do things at first on Windows 3.1 without all the BS of the newer windows versions.

Lawrence

What you could do is get a copy of Meuller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs". It is available for free on the web and could demystify all that scary stuff as well as extensive coverage of IBM PS/2s, includng the 55x and the 57. Once you get it working, forget DOS 4, it was an abomination and the worst DOS of all time. Dos 6.22 uses the same and more commands so you should have no problems running your programs. Mueller explains simply how you use the "reference" disks in getting your PS/2 up and going. Later on you can use your knowledge of "point and click" to more easily do things at first on Windows 3.1 without all the BS of the newer windows versions.

Lawrence

Are you saying this Meuller's "Upgradinging and Repairing PC's" would allow my DOS Mindread program to be transfered to Windows 2000 which I am using now? If so, I would need step by step instructions in doing this as I am not computer literate. I ran that DOS 4.0 for over 18 years and trouble free. I guess its just me as it seemed easy to use compaired to Windows.

ok you already have mind reader on a disk that's good. put it in the windows computers a:\ drive. go to my computer click the a:\ icon it will be just like using the shell. click the mindreader file that ends in .exe run it it should work fine.

or if you want dos go to start click run type cmd it will be just like dos only no shell.

ok you already have mind reader on a disk that's good. put it in the windows computers a:\ drive. go to my computer click the a:\ icon it will be just like using the shell. click the mindreader file that ends in .exe run it it should work fine.

or if you want dos go to start click run type cmd it will be just like dos only no shell.

???:confused:...??? Ghawd, now I'm confused! Translation please?

--T

You folks are getting closer!!! I did everything just the way you wrote it down but .EXE does not show up. After playing with it, I got MR.EXE to show and a famliar screen but when it comes to bringing up a file I saved, I have to remove the Mindread disk and insert the disk with all my stored files and when I do that it states "insert Mindread disk". Well, I can't have them both in so how do I get the Mindread program on the "C" drive on Windows?

If the OP would PM me, I'd be more than happy to walk you through it with instructions in english.
patscc

It was very difficult for me to get as far as I did on that last try, plain english instructions is like meat and potatoes to me. I'm ready to start when ever you are and if you guys get me straightned out by St. Pat's Day maybe we can all have green beer!

mr

mr

put mindread floppy in drive a:

Go to Start->Run-> type cmd, hit enter
This should give you a window that looks like dos.
Type the following in: ( <enter> means hit the enter key ) [ is comment, don't type ]
Code:
cd \ <enter>
md mindread <enter>
cd mindread <enter>
xcopy a:\*.* /s/e/h <enter> [you should see files copying]
[tale program disk out of A, put data disk in A]
MR <enter> [see if this loads it]
post back with what happens
patscc

put mindread floppy in drive a:

Go to Start->Run-> type cmd, hit enter
This should give you a window that looks like dos.
Type the following in: ( <enter> means hit the enter key ) [ is comment, don't type ]
Code:
cd \ <enter>
md mindread <enter>
cd mindread <enter>
xcopy a:\*.* /s/e/h <enter> [you should see files copying]
[tale program disk out of A, put data disk in A]
MR <enter> [see if this loads it]
post back with what happens
patscc

This is what comes up:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
<C> Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
C:\ Documents and Settings\user>

if I click enter after "user>" it jumps to the next line and repeats that same line. If I type cd\ after "user>" it jumps to the next line as C:\> what am I doing wrong?

This is what comes up:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
<C> Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
C:\ Documents and Settings\user>

if I click enter after "user>" it jumps to the next line and repeats that same line. If I type cd\ after "user>" it jumps to the next line as C:\> what am I doing wrong?

OK, now I typed in COPY A:\*.* C:\MR and could see the files being copied. Is it transfered to the hard drive now?

yes
now (in plain english)

1.go to my computer

2.click the c:\ icon

3.there should be a icon with a picture of a folder and MR under it

4.click it

5.mr.exe should be in this "folder" click its icon

6.the program should run

mr II

mr II

dcjjg asked...If I type cd\ after "user>" it jumps to the next line as C:\> what am I doing wrong?
You did nothing wrong. The reason for xcopy was in case there were directories on the floppy, but let's skip that for now.

Okay, it looks like the files are copied.

Go Start->Run->CMD <enter>

You should see the prompt you posted before.
Now type cd \MR <enter>
You should be at something that looks like
c:\MR
Type MR and hit enter. Does it load ?
patscc

yes
now (in plain english)

1.go to my computer

4.click it

6.the program should run

I find a square with the Windows icon in it and MR under that, I click it and a box comes up with, Click the program you want to open 'MR' but mr.exe is not there. Where did I mess up?

You did nothing wrong. The reason for xcopy was in case there were directories on the floppy, but let's skip that for now.

Okay, it looks like the files are copied.

Go Start->Run->CMD <enter>

You should see the prompt you posted before.
Now type cd \MR <enter>
You should be at something that looks like
c:\MR
Type MR and hit enter. Does it load ?
patscc

I get to the prompt and type cd\MR and after hitting enter it jumps to the next line stating THE DIRECTORY NAME IS INVALID

yes
now (in plain english)

1.go to my computer

4.click it

6.the program should run

There is also an icon with a picture of a folder in MY COMPUTER with the word mindread under it but the folder is empty.

walk-through

walk-through

If you want to PM me your phone & a good time to call, I'll walk you through it on the phone. Doing this by posting might not be the best approach.
patscc

If you want to PM me your phone & a good time to call, I'll walk you through it on the phone. Doing this by posting might not be the best approach.
patscc

We are in the middle of a snow storm now (MN.) so it as good a time as ever.

Last edited:
Back