• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi all....from Herts UK

Olds-kool gamer

Experienced Member
Hi all,

Loooooong time reader so I thought I’d join the best retro computing forum out there…

I’ve got over 40 unique retro computers from nearly every Sinclair model to Sam Coupé’s & many more! I recently dusted down an old Apple ][ Europlus complete system, which I bought from a Car boot sale a few years ago, I think I paid about £8 for it :D

Best regards

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’ve got over 40 unique retro computers from nearly every Sinclair model to Sam Coupé’s & many more! I recently dusted down an old Apple ][ Europlus complete system, which I bought from a Car boot sale a few years ago I think for about £8 :D

Welcome,

Any website out there with pictures of the collection?

What's your opinion of the Sinclair machines? I know they were a great hit in Britain (quite a few here too), but you know I just can't warm to them?

It's unfair of me I know, as they were (except for the QL) budget machines and you'd expect a lot less. They just seem "too" budget and idiosyncratic if you know what I mean..even if they were "value for money".

Tez

Hello! Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll find everything you need here. And I second that you should post some pictures or something! I've only ever seen a Sinclair ZX-81, never any of the others.

--Ryan

Hi from a ex Herts resident(Watford), now near Peterborough.

You have a nice collection!

I have some sinclair machines in my collection - some pics here . I have some more photos that I need to upload.

Welcome,

Any website out there with pictures of the collection?

What's your opinion of the Sinclair machines? I know they were a great hit in Britain (quite a few here too), but you know I just can't warm to them?

It's unfair of me I know, as they were (except for the QL) budget machines and you'd expect a lot less. They just seem "too" budget and idiosyncratic if you know what I mean..even if they were "value for money". Tez

Hello Tez,

I’m a regular reader of your blog, which is always very interesting.

Re: Sinclair machines.
I must admit I not the biggest fan of Sir Clive’s Micro’s, I had a Spectrum 48K when they first came out but as soon as I had gathered enough money to buy a C64 I jumped ship. :oops:

For me the problem was the lack of sprites & a half decent sound chip.
As I understand the thinking at the time, Clive cut back on these abilities to keep the costs down but I think he went a little bit too far.

That said the Spectrums are great machines that really kicked started the home "bedroom programmer revolution", which the UK at the time where world leaders. I still think Manic Miner, Jet-pack, Attic Attack, Ant Attack etc, are some of the best pieces of software ever produced in their time.

Re: My collection photographs.

I'll do my best but I've got quite a large collection so this may take some time.

If there's anything anybody is especially interested in seeing (providing I've got it) I'll post some piccies.

It doesn't only stop at Retro Micro's...

I have nearly all the consoles ever released in the West & a few Japanese ones too, as well as all the next gen systems. (The family plays those), I'll stick to my old Atari's.

I estimate I must have 2,000-3000pcs of software (not copies)

It doesn’t stop there either...

I have nearly complete collections of all the old computer mags i.e.
Sinclair User, Crash, Zzap 64, C&VG, N64, Atari User to name just a "very few" :D

Last edited:
Hi from a ex Herts resident(Watford), now near Peterborough.

You have a nice collection!

I have some sinclair machines in my collection - some pics here . I have some more photos that I need to upload.

Thanks Andy,

I didn't realise the 128k Spectrum 2 had the tape drive built in. Similar to the Amstrad CPC 464

That Comcon joystick interface looks totally bizzare! What are all those wires for?

Tez

Thanks Andy,

That Comcon joystick interface looks totally bizzare! What are all those wires for?

Tez

Basically, the device maps the joysick movements into key presses. ie, if you press up, you can map it to the letter K, down to M etc. It allows you to use non joystick games with a joystick!

Hello and glad you finally announced yourself. Very impressive collection you have there :) Even the consoles are gaining a lot of value recently so definitely hold on to those.

Back