• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 25 - what HDD connector, IDE?

Raven

Veteran Member
I have a PS/2 Model 25 that I mentioned in another thread will not boot. Rather than fighting with the floppy drive, I'd like to try taking the HDD out of it, hooking it up over USB<->IDE (indespensible cabling that!) and sticking a fresh copy of DOS on it after backing up the prior contents. Before I go opening the PS/2, however, as that would likely be a royal PIA, I'd like to make sure they use IDE for their HDDs. I'd imagine it's either IDE or SCSI, due to the 3.5" bay, but if it's SCSI I might need further help checking my handful of SCSI adapters to see what might be compatible that I could stick in one of my AT machines.

Thanks.

Edit: As well, what's the stock OS on these? Windows 2.x? 3.x? Plain DOS? What does one max out with, slow-running 95A?

I have a PS/2 Model 25 that I mentioned in another thread will not boot. Rather than fighting with the floppy drive, I'd like to try taking the HDD out of it, hooking it up over USB<->IDE (indespensible cabling that!) and sticking a fresh copy of DOS on it after backing up the prior contents. Before I go opening the PS/2, however, as that would likely be a royal PIA, I'd like to make sure they use IDE for their HDDs. I'd imagine it's either IDE or SCSI, due to the 3.5" bay, but if it's SCSI I might need further help checking my handful of SCSI adapters to see what might be compatible that I could stick in one of my AT machines.

Thanks.

Edit: As well, what's the stock OS on these? Windows 2.x? 3.x? Plain DOS? What does one max out with, slow-running 95A?

IDE didn´t get to the Model 25 until the 25SX (a 386SX-16 or 20MHz). Both the 8086 and 286 versions used a proprietary drive (shared with only the 8086 and 286 versions of the Model 30) that came in 20 and 30Mb sizes. Some 8086-based Model 25s came stock with an short Seagate MFM card (using one of the two slots) and 3-1/2¨ drive.

The Model 25 is actually easy to open: http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/locked25.htm

Often PC-DOS 3.3 was the stock OS...

Both the 8086 and 286 versions used a proprietary drive (shared with only the 8086 and 286 versions of the Model 30) that came in 20 and 30Mb sizes.
Wasn't that XTA?

"Before the 16-bit ATA/IDE interface, there was an 8-bit XT-IDE (also known as XTA) interface for hard disks, though it was not nearly as popular as ATA has become, and XT-IDE hardware is now fairly hard to find (for those vintage computer enthusiasts who may look for it.) Some XT-IDE adapters were available as 8-bit ISA cards, and XTA sockets were also present on the motherboards of Amstrad's later XT clones. The XTA pinout was very similar to ATA, but only eight data lines and two address lines were used, and the physical device registers had completely different meanings. A few hard drives (such as the Seagate ST351A/X) could support either type of interface, selected with a jumper."

The model 25 used a custom interface for hard drive use. You can't just stick an IDE drive into the machine, nor can you take the hard drive out and stick it into a regular beige box.

You CAN however stick in an IDE controller card and THEN use an IDE drive in the model 25.

What we/i need is a youtube video how to get an 8086 or similar working with a networkcard and packetdrivers over a modern router. How to automount shares when boot up.

That would be both educational, fun and inspiring to watch. Right now i think i can get my 16-bit networkcard up and running i found packetdrivers for it, that should work in 8-bit slots. But i have not idea about how to configure the static ip, DNS and gatewat adress for it. Maybe i am just dreaming about tcp-ip with only 640 kb memory and 128 ext. But slip or ppp would be interesting to see how to get up working to connect with a newer computer.

JT

What we/i need is a youtube video how to get an 8086 or similar working with a networkcard and packetdrivers over a modern router. How to automount shares when boot up.
JT

It can be done!!! I personally have done it. The numbers you're asking for are ones that your ISP can give you, or you can use BOOTP/DHCP to automatically configure it. You might be interested in LSPPP, that's what I used for DOS internet:

http://members.tripod.com/~ladsoft/lsppp/

LSPPP will even dial a modem for you. I don't have a NIC card in my IBM PC 5150 so I had to use a modem to dial it. I was also using DOS dual boot with linux on my IBM Thinkpad 560 at one point and used LSPPP on that too. :)

This page tells you how to get Waterloo TCP working
http://www.dossolutions.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wattcp.htm

this is the main waterloo tcp home
http://www.erickengelke.com/wattcp/

--Brian

Back