• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS Collection

I used to collect virus-infected floppy disks (on purpose). I'd put 'em in a disk mailer, taped shut and labeled with the virus name on it. I had a couple hundred different ones, till I finally dumped 'em all during a move. (I know, I'm weird).

--T

Not odd at all :) I had a huge virus collection.. probably still do somewhere though I put it on zip disk at some point and I guess violated the fat16/32 constraints of files in a folder and directory depth. So dunno what I have anymore. I think we were up to just under 10000 when we stopped. We used to check all the latest virus scanners vs the collection to see who detected the most. It was always Norton.

Anyway, last one I (bought, traded, sumthin??) off a friend was a magazine CD that got released with the virus on it. Always found it interested when a company could get infected and actually spread the virus in a publication.

Interestingly (I removed the name of the magazine since I can't remember 100% and don't want to badmouth anyone) but a LARGE list of similar blunders can be found here: ftp://ciac.llnl.gov/pub/ciac/secdocs/virus/mcdonald/virc0397.txt and http://attrition.org/errata/cpo/

It certainly made me step back a second at the time and re-evaluate my judgement on blindly trusting media.

Next,
lol I was waiting for your post ;-) What's Grid-OS? A/UX = Apple Unix or Amiga Unix? (pretty sure it's Apple, but I forget what Amigas's unix was).
- John

Yeah, A/UX is Apple Unix and GRiD-OS is really just a clone of DOS 3.2 but with a slightly graphical interface. Apparent;y GRiD also made some sort of server thing that also ran it and you could network it using some proprietary GRiD hardware.

If it's because you want to be able to access the same data with them, at least in VMWare you can add physical drives to a VM.

My main drives are already full of other data, mainly music and videos. I don't use the OSes for accessing my already existing data. They're just toys or they get used for specific pieces of software that won't run on my PC. When I need an OS, I just grab the hard drive I need and plug it into my spare/test PC. It's got a CD, DVD, 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" drives in it. It also has USB ports, so I can plug almost anything I want into it and use the OS I need.

It may not work for you, but it works extremely well for me :)

Per, I would be interested in what you have in the Venix category, I may even have something to augment your collection - if you're still collecting. M

Back