• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Laptop, battery 100% charging

JT64

Experienced Member
My contura 430c shows battery 100% charging in Win95, but still it goes total dead if i drop the AC plug. It do not start if i push the power button, is this a setting or just weird?

JT

My contura 430c shows battery 100% charging in Win95, but still it goes total dead if i drop the AC plug. It do not start if i push the power button, is this a setting or just weird?JT

This could well be a bad battery that simply will not hold a charge.

What Chuck said. Batteries not holding a charge happens as the battery gets older, and the process is sped up by overcharging. How old is the battery?

My contura 430c shows battery 100% charging in Win95, but still it goes total dead if i drop the AC plug. It do not start if i push the power button, is this a setting or just weird?

JT

This a very common issue with older laptops, and is typically the battery.

Most manufacturers don't cover their batteries under warranty as they deem them "consumable".

I have seen batteries drop their running time by as much as 75% in as little as 2 years.

You can buy a new battery here: http://www.ebatts.com/compaq_contura-430c_accessories.aspx for $67.46 brand new.

www.ebatts.com is an excellent place for all kinds of batteries.

I have a plastic trash bag full of those kind of batteries. Waiting to go to the recycle pile at my local "tranfer point". They stopped burying the trash out here in the desert and now truck it 50 miles, where it likely gets buried in the desert. Granted, maybe at the new location, they managed to have some liners in the ground to prevent leaching into the ground.

What Chuck said. Batteries not holding a charge happens as the battery gets older, and the process is sped up by overcharging. How old is the battery?

It is hard to say coming from a dumpster ;), but at least it is not the original battery, it is a Duracell so i know it must have been replaced at one point.

JT

This could well be a bad battery that simply will not hold a charge.

Someone wrote of zapping the battery with 12 volt for 30 seconds, how do i do that. Can't the battery explode if shortcircuited? :huh:

JT

I would just place it into the recycle bag, if it was me. Those emergency room eye repairs can get expensive, fast.

I agree with the above. That's way more dangerous than its worth. A battery of that size would explode with a lot of force.

Maybe there's a website out there with some good advice. I imagine possible hooking it up to a light bulb may work but I'm not sure. It was recommended to me once sort of as a resistor. Given do your research, or you may just end up with acid AND glass in your face.

What can be done with the battery really depends upon the type of cell used.

The only type I have much experience with is Nickel-Cadmium, as used in radio controlled models. They can sometimes be revived with a reflex charger, but the result isn't guaranteed.

FYI, a reflex charger sends a series of charge pulses, followed by a discharge pulse. Never looked at it with a 'scope so I don't know what the ratio of charge/discharge pulse is. For radio controlled car racing, a 10 amp charge rate for a sub-c cell is not uncommon.

Of course, NiCads are now history.

Kent

Back