• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Free-for-all-chat about anything except Computers!

That is one thing I miss about growing up on the farm...your own produce and meat :) We raised chickens, cattle, and pigs, and you forget there is a taste difference between range fed and 'commercial' animals until you taste the two side by side occasionally.
We have some garden space in our backyard in the city here, I've got it equally divided between raspberries and strawberries....mmmmm. When the raspberries ripen, I buy some cream and feel my arteries harden.

I'm not sure why your finding so much Steak on the Cheap Terry. Is this merely one store which is doing this, or are you finding your area is selling Steak on the cheap? Usually when produce is in good depend and there's a lot of it, the farmer may only get a small amount of cash for it (is that right, it doesn't sound right to me!). The only other reason I think it maybe cheap is it's old stock and they want to get rid of it. If not a lot of people are buying it and there's a ton of it to be sold, then they would lower the price. I can only guess you've tried the Steak and it tastes alright. Cause usually having it in the Freezer helps a great deal!

Hell, I can't even find hearts anymore, and I love 'em.

--T

Oh, too long ago having a nice stew of chicken livers, hearts, kidneys and stomachs with onions and mushrooms.
Difficult to get nowadays indeed- considered scrap and therefore grinded and, how ironically, probably going into the flat tasted processed 'for everyone' sausages.
Ah, a pinch of salt (read a bucket) and nobody tastes anything anyway.

Last edited:
Liver & bacon casserole, steak & kidney (suet) pudding, YUM YUM. I've never been really super-fond of tripe (mostly because it's quite bland) but it is very pretty.

When I was living across the road from the air hostesses, I'd often have fruit and vegetables bought fresh from the market in Crete that morning. not good from a carbon footprint point of view, but they were good veg.

Back on the beer again.... 1) it's the hops that make you run and
2) blandness....The last beer festival we had here, (about 150 different beers & 50 ciders & perrys) For a change, the beer wholesalers decided what to send. It was one of the most drab selections ever, everyone came away saying "it was alright".
A couple of years back there was one beer there that was brewed with coffee grounds amongst the ingredients, 75% of people who smelt/tasted it cringed, the other 25% (me included) will probably be trying to get some more for the rest of their lives!

Unfortunately I've never been one for having meals with Internal Organs in them! :-o Perhaps there's too many people like myself! :-o

Funny thing is that those same people who'll turn their noses up at 'organ meat' will happily cram down hot dogs all day long without caring to know what might be in them.

--T

I'm not sure why your finding so much Steak on the Cheap Terry. Is this merely one store which is doing this

Nah, it's all over the place. Round here, Porterhouse normally sells for $10.00 - 12.00 /lb. I don't get it (but I ain't complaining). I thought it might be the economy, but then I get thinking that most folks around my part of town shop with Food Stamps, so that kinda throws the ol' monkey wrench into that theory, as Food Stamps are actually being increased (or so I'm told). (BTW, WalMart is stilling their meats at the higher prices, FWIW).

--T

Down here I haven't seen much of a change in meat prices. Milk has come down again though which is nice since our girls love having cereal on the morning and $4/ga was getting to be a bit much. Milk is around $3.25/gallon now or $2.99 for the generic mostly written in spanish milk.

I don't usually do porterhouse but I imagine Texas could have lower steak prices than surrounding areas. Guess it depends with the population of cattle and where they're being raised and coming in from. I think our price is still around $3/4 a pound for top sirloin which is what I usually eat just because I can get a big steak for $8 if I'm bored and feeling unhealthy.

With beer, you just have to look for the microbreweries or local places. Dunno what all there is in other places and yeah maybe it's because I've become used to the piss water stuff (though I won't get it on my own). I had one beer like you mentioned with coffee grounds in it but don't remember the name. I don't think I liked it that much though, had a dark and oddly bitter taste.

If you like hops you'll like some Samuel Adam's beer (they usually use double hops). I've mentioned before but I like Shiner although Texas has weird restrictions on exporting and importing alcohol so I'm not sure where it's available or if it is outside of Texas. Bud came out with a knock off to compete called Zeigen-bock although it's not as good.

Is it true that Budweiser has a contractual agreement not to sell in Europe with it's similar cousin BudWeisen? A friend told me that but I never could tell if that was true.

- John

Terry Yager wrote:

Funny thing is that those same people who'll turn their noses up at 'organ meat' will happily cram down hot dogs all day long without caring to know what might be in them.

Except me - I haven't touched a Hot Dog in years.

Is it true that Budweiser has a contractual agreement not to sell in Europe with it's similar cousin BudWeisen? A friend told me that but I never could tell if that was true.

- John
Well, they were simply not allowed to use the name Budweiser, as there was already a Czech beer by that name. They are now at least allowed to call it BUD, so that is what it is sold as here. As far as it is sold at all, its not really conforming to the European taste.
See http://www.budvar.cz/en/pro-media/tiskove-zpravy/soud.html

The Czech one is
http://www.budvar.cz/en/index.html
and to be fair that is one of the best pilseners I have ever had.

Well, after 70 posts, it might be time to make up the balance of what seems to be our main interests besides vintage computers.
Anyone care to make a compilation?

(I think we can limit it too: 1) Vintage computers 2) Beer 3) Steak 4) Other food ) :D

Last edited:
Down here I haven't seen much of a change in meat prices. Milk has come down again though which is nice since our girls love having cereal on the morning and $4/ga was getting to be a bit much. Milk is around $3.25/gallon now or $2.99 for the generic mostly written in spanish milk.

I don't usually do porterhouse but I imagine Texas could have lower steak prices than surrounding areas. Guess it depends with the population of cattle and where they're being raised and coming in from. I think our price is still around $3/4 a pound for top sirloin which is what I usually eat just because I can get a big steak for $8 if I'm bored and feeling unhealthy.

With beer, you just have to look for the microbreweries or local places. Dunno what all there is in other places and yeah maybe it's because I've become used to the piss water stuff (though I won't get it on my own). I had one beer like you mentioned with coffee grounds in it but don't remember the name. I don't think I liked it that much though, had a dark and oddly bitter taste.

If you like hops you'll like some Samuel Adam's beer (they usually use double hops). I've mentioned before but I like Shiner although Texas has weird restrictions on exporting and importing alcohol so I'm not sure where it's available or if it is outside of Texas. Bud came out with a knock off to compete called Zeigen-bock although it's not as good.

- John

Sam Addams is ok, but I find it somewhat overpriced. You can get better brews from our local Micros that cost $2 - 4.00 less for a sixer. Sometimes even imports are cheaper. I can get a sixpack of Smithwick's for $6.99 + +, but Boston Lager, et.al. sells for $9.99 + + from the same store!

Never heard of BudWeisen, but wouldn't that be a wheat beer, and therefore, not a competitor at all, but rather a whole 'nother product than an American Adjunct?

--T

Last edited:
Hm.. Good point and yeah that was before I knew weisen was wheat. This may be what he was referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_trademark_dispute. Interestingly just the Budweiser wikipage is an interesting read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_(Anheuser-Busch).

What's interesting/scary is I didn't know a lot of those commercials were for these beers and was a kid when they came out but reading the article and hearing those slogans, I remember all of them.

I guess Sam's is quite different pricing up there too. Down here you're right, it's a little overpriced but the most I've seen it for is $7.50/6. I don't think I've seen anything drinkable for $4.00 but I can usually find MGD or another non-budweiser for around $5.00. I still liked the trick a guy in Abilene told me (higher prices for no reason there). He said always check the price of the 24oz or 40's. You know if you need a beer you're gonna drink 2 anyway and usually it's cheaper than a 6er. It was funny but he's right about most places.

I usually check the price-per-unit for comparison, but sometimes it's meaningless. One brand might be expressed in 'units' of an ounce, while others will be per-serving (which, strangely enough, seems to be 8 oz. for beer, even though it's packed in 12oz containers). Go figger. Bud runs around $.06/oz, while the IPA that I crave runs like $.09/oz. Well worth the difference, 'specially since the IPA is 7.5ABV, so it's more economical, cause I drink less of 'em in a session. Fizzy yellow beer tastes like piss if it gets even a little warm, and they're less satisfying, so ya end up throwing back more of 'em in a shorter time. Very wasteful...

--T

No, Budweiser Budvar (the Czech beer) is a pilsener like Budweiser US, not a wheat beer.

The Czech invented this kind of beer, the name of the type of beer, 'pilsener' coming from the Czech town of Pilsen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsener
(where they still brew the Pilsener Urquell, also a nice pilsener).

Wheat beer you find mostly in the south of Germany / Bavaria (although it originally comes from Sachsen, not from Bavaria- but never mention such trivial details to a Bavarian).

Jorg wrote:

Well, after 70 posts, it might be time to make up the balance of what seems to be our main interests besides vintage computers.
Anyone care to make a compilation?

(I think we can limit it too: 1) Vintage computers 2) Beer 3) Steak 4) Other food ) :D

That is sheer amazement that this board should make it a topic about Drinks & Food. True they aren't vintage computers. I was surprised nobody has talked about their Car/Truck/Bus or whatever means of Transportation yet - or did I miss that post?

Oh okay, I should have said that discussions about the Human Brain are allowed and perhaps Analog Computers too! ;-) But don't try anything Electronic! ;-)

And yeah - typically I'm the smuck which wants to talk about something else which should make up the top 5 for the compilation! :-o

I also get into history, have a small collection of WW2 books along with ancient rome, greece, etc. Used to collect coins and stamps (still get some here and there but don't put much effort into them). I also like current events and talking about politics and religion (which are not welcome here because some people take them personally). Used to build models but the cats tend to destroy them (WW2 ships and tanks mostly) so I quit years ago.

These threads are kind of cool because you get to learn quite a bit about the people here, and about things you normally would not talk about.

So basically I have the collectors gene in my DNA and like to talk about things that tell me how people over the ages function (war, peace, food, religion, politics, etc). There is also a part of my that wants to know how things work (computers being one of them), which is why I probably went into engineering instead of a well paying job talking old ladies into buying worthless health plans or something else that is easy.

We can't discuss the economy, it's too political, but there's good news from OSHA this morning. Industrial accidents in Michigan are down by 50% for the past two years. Of course, this can't be related to the fact that employment here is also down by 50%, can it?:rastarolleye:

--T

Strangely enough, my 2 other main hobby(?) activities met up today, house renovation and music, in that I gave a big bag of floor sandings to a mate who makes guitars (for making filler), the connection - rock maple, used for guitar necks, and hard wearing floors.

I spent some of the week before easter laying reclaimed cake-factory floor in my dining room, blocks about 8" X 2.5". Agonisingly slow job, I did about 4 sq yds a day of cleaning bitumen off & laying blocks in a herringbone pattern, and another full day of cutting mitres for the edges. I finally sanded & filled it yesterday and applied the first coat of danish oil today. Suddenly doing the next 50 square yards seems worth the effort!

Sad thing is that now the floor's (almost) done it'll get furnished & I'll lose my nice echoey guitar-playing space. and the girls will lose their nice dancing-round-the-vacuum-cleaner space too.

Back