• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Free-for-all-chat about anything except Computers!

No, Budweiser Budvar (the Czech beer) is a pilsener like Budweiser US

Even though it may taste like watered-down piss, US Bud ain't a Pilsener. It has the nerve to call itself... <choke> ...a lager! (I know a real Bavarian like yourself would kick my ass for calling it that, but it's their claim, not mine. (Please don't hurt me!)).

--T

nige the hippy wrote:

Strangely enough, my 2 other main hobby(?) activities met up today, house renovation and music, in that I gave a big bag of floor sandings to a mate who makes guitars (for making filler), the connection - rock maple, used for guitar necks, and hard wearing floors.

Music eh? Unfortunately I've been glued to some music forums - and because I run like a Classic Single Tasking Operating System, this forum goes on the backburner! :-o

I'm going to this one at the moment because the other one I go to (which was primarily the one I've been stuck on) has unfortunately been hacked - which is a pity because I've posted heaps on it (over 1500+ posts since February!) :-o

I'll warn you now - you can be there for hours! :-o The I'm going to at the minute isn't so bad because people come and go! :-D

Unknown_K wrote:

I also get into history, have a small collection of WW2 books along with ancient rome, greece, etc. Used to collect coins and stamps (still get some here and there but don't put much effort into them). I also like current events and talking about politics and religion (which are not welcome here because some people take them personally). Used to build models but the cats tend to destroy them (WW2 ships and tanks mostly) so I quit years ago.

That's a pity about the models. I tried that at one stage, though I've never been any good at them unfortunately - there was one I was able to do only because it was a snap-on model which you could build into a working Jeep - do you remember those? You'd basically get it in this box and you got all the stuff you needed and you just assembled it and away you went with it! :-D

These threads are kind of cool because you get to learn quite a bit about the people here, and about things you normally would not talk about.

Yeah I was reading lots of these threads on Musical Forums - so I stole their idea and just revamped the name of the thread so people wouldn't be talking about their Computers! :-D Their good, though they can be bad too if people think their too personal and start ranting about it - if people feel they need to rant about it their better off ignoring the topic, but people can be free to discuss what they feel is acceptable. I can just about listen to anything from anyone though and still respect them.

So basically I have the collectors gene in my DNA and like to talk about things that tell me how people over the ages function (war, peace, food, religion, politics, etc). There is also a part of my that wants to know how things work (computers being one of them), which is why I probably went into engineering instead of a well paying job talking old ladies into buying worthless health plans or something else that is easy.

Not that I consider myself a engineer, I'm curious to know how they came into being for you - was it simply a pathway someone felt it would suit you. I always thought to be an Engineer you also need High Mathematical skills as well. My Grandfather did this - virtually all of his life - to my knowledge he was good cause he got Engineers degree (not sure if that's what it was or not), unfortunately it wasn't really till after his death that I starting learning more about him - which seemed that he came up with some ingenious solutions - I liked how he converted an Ice Box into a fully workable fridge (instead of buying a fridge initially). Yes he seemed to be one bright spark - I like him too because he had a sense of coolness about him - he wouldn't panic, get mad & he could even say a funny line or two! :-D

I'm no engineer either, so could someone please explain to me the difference between 'Structurally Deficient' and 'Unsafe"?

Just heard on the news that the DOT has declared 25 bridges in my county to be structurally deficient, but was careful to reassure us all that these bridges are perfectly safe to drive on.:confused::confused::confused:...:roll:

--T

I'm no engineer either, so could someone please explain to me the difference between 'Structurally Deficient' and 'Unsafe"?

Just heard on the news that the DOT has declared 25 bridges in my county to be structurally deficient, but was careful to reassure us all that these bridges are perfectly safe to drive on.:confused::confused::confused:...:roll:

--T

I am not a civil engineer but my take on that is this:

Bridges are designed to take a max specific load (so many lbs of traffic) with a safety factor. Structurally deficient most likely means that the bridge needs work to get it back into spec for that specific load, but the current loads on it are fine. Unsafe means that bridge is going to fall sooner or later even with minimum load.

Unknown_K wrote:

I also get into history, have a small collection of WW2 books along with ancient rome, greece, etc. Used to collect coins and stamps (still get some here and there but don't put much effort into them). I also like current events and talking about politics and religion (which are not welcome here because some people take them personally). Used to build models but the cats tend to destroy them (WW2 ships and tanks mostly) so I quit years ago.

That's a pity about the models. I tried that at one stage, though I've never been any good at them unfortunately - there was one I was able to do only because it was a snap-on model which you could build into a working Jeep - do you remember those? You'd basically get it in this box and you got all the stuff you needed and you just assembled it and away you went with it! :-D

These threads are kind of cool because you get to learn quite a bit about the people here, and about things you normally would not talk about.

Yeah I was reading lots of these threads on Musical Forums - so I stole their idea and just revamped the name of the thread so people wouldn't be talking about their Computers! :-D Their good, though they can be bad too if people think their too personal and start ranting about it - if people feel they need to rant about it their better off ignoring the topic, but people can be free to discuss what they feel is acceptable. I can just about listen to anything from anyone though and still respect them.

So basically I have the collectors gene in my DNA and like to talk about things that tell me how people over the ages function (war, peace, food, religion, politics, etc). There is also a part of my that wants to know how things work (computers being one of them), which is why I probably went into engineering instead of a well paying job talking old ladies into buying worthless health plans or something else that is easy.

Not that I consider myself a engineer, I'm curious to know how they came into being for you - was it simply a pathway someone felt it would suit you. I always thought to be an Engineer you also need High Mathematical skills as well. My Grandfather did this - virtually all of his life - to my knowledge he was good cause he got Engineers degree (not sure if that's what it was or not), unfortunately it wasn't really till after his death that I starting learning more about him - which seemed that he came up with some ingenious solutions - I liked how he converted an Ice Box into a fully workable fridge (instead of buying a fridge initially). Yes he seemed to be one bright spark - I like him too because he had a sense of coolness about him - he wouldn't panic, get mad & he could even say a funny line or two! :-D

I liked 3 things in highschool: chemistry, computers, and engineering. The more I thaught about it I figured I can work on computers at home but not chemicals or major engineering projects so I decided I wanted to be a chemical engineer. Most highschool aptitude tests are a waste, nobody suggested to me what to be I just knew what I wanted.

Too bad engineering is not a growing field anymore, and most jobs are just glorified service techs these days, which is why I havn't worked in a while (also didn't want to travel constantly).

Unknown_K wrote:

I liked 3 things in highschool: chemistry, computers, and engineering. The more I thaught about it I figured I can work on computers at home but not chemicals or major engineering projects so I decided I wanted to be a chemical engineer. Most highschool aptitude tests are a waste, nobody suggested to me what to be I just knew what I wanted.

Too bad engineering is not a growing field anymore, and most jobs are just glorified service techs these days, which is why I havn't worked in a while (also didn't want to travel constantly).

Sounds like you're a very smart person to figure that out when you were in school. It took me years to figure out what I wanted because computers is only one corner of the jigsaw puzzle and got burned because of that dreded Computer Course I took up after studying. There were certain aspects which were handy for later on, but much of it I was only just passing and just passing like one of my teachers said in that course isn't good enough for them. 60% is the minimum I'll pass - not 50%!

To be a Chemical Engineer, it sounds as if you need a Computer - so it's just another phase that you can bring those skills to the table which makes the job better! But I suppose it goes a long way to have a big interest in that kind of job.

But it's become a bit of an ambition now that once I've established what I'm good at, then I can turn it into a career.

Terry Yager wrote:

Safe or unsafe, I've seen enough metal fatigue in my time that I think I'll be steering clear of those bridges, thank you.

Yeah I guess if you drive a really big heavy truck then it's no really recommended if the bridge has a few issues. I never heard of a Structurally deficient metal based bridge though - the ones here which are Structurally deficient are usually old wooden bridges which you usually have to drive slowly over! :-o

I personally think that the difference between "structurally deficient" and "unsafe" is in the availability of funds to fix the things!

and CP/M user.... thanks for the link to the forum, but I don't have enough time to listen to the music I'd like to, never mind talk about it! (oh for a simple life!) However I'll probably visit for an occasional search or two.

nige the hippy wrote:

and CP/M user.... thanks for the link to the forum, but I don't have enough time to listen to the music I'd like to, never mind talk about it! (oh for a simple life!) However I'll probably visit for an occasional search or two.

No worries. I'm confused though cause I can listen to the music while I'm typing about it! :-D I guess I listen to a lot of stuff though which I'm familiar with! :-D

And yeah the other Musical Forum I go to came back up last Friday for me (which would have been Thursday for many people), but was -HACKED- again!! Some people can be so cruel - I have no idea how their hacking the forum, I was told they have some way of sending the offending Virus through to the server and activating it! :-( I can not stress out how important backup is - but this is frustrating! ;-(

I just learned a new cooking technique while watching Rachel Rey on TV. It's so simple, but I just never thought of it in 16 years of trying to keep my kids interested in my cooking by serving them all manner of original exotic dishes.

The basic premise of this technique is that kids love ketchup. The methodology is simply to slam anything at all onto the plate and then slather it with Ketchup. Kids will eat anything if ya smother it with ketchup (as proven by the childrens' choice of sum'n made of plantain & coconut, drowning in their favorite crimson condiment, in a side-by-side taste test of several 'gourmet' dishes). <smacking self upside the head> All those years I coulda just been serving the curtain climbers 'Slop With Red Sauce'...Gaaaa!

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

I just learned a new cooking technique while watching Rachel Rey on TV. It's so simple, but I just never thought of it in 16 years of trying to keep my kids interested in my cooking by serving them all manner of original exotic dishes.

The basic premise of this technique is that kids love ketchup. The methodology is simply to slam anything at all onto the plate and then slather it with Ketchup. Kids will eat anything if ya smother it with ketchup (as proven by the childrens' choice of sum'n made of plantain & coconut, drowning in their favorite crimson condiment, in a side-by-side taste test of several 'gourmet' dishes). <smacking self upside the head> All those years I coulda just been serving the curtain climbers 'Slop With Red Sauce'...Gaaaa!

Hey how do you cook "Plantain" Terry? Do you know if that's supposed to be good for your heart? I just presumed you cut the top off and boil it in a pot! What does it taste like? I just wondered cause I used to see people digging a pest plant out where I work - I thought it was Dock though, but Plantain is also another one of those growing everywhere! :-o Particularly the Common Plantain which is also known as Ribwort - there's a few other kinds though!

And yeah as a kid I used to hoe into the Tomato Sauce (which you call Ketchup!) by throwing my mashed potato, pumpkin & peas and beans together and throwing the Sauce in it - and mix it up! I also love it on Fried Rice as well, though I usually only have sauce on it when I'm going for seconds now cause at one stage I thought it took away the taste of the Fried Rice!

Hey what's been happening over the last week for yourselves?

I'm been up and down - and then up again! What's bugging me is my environmental activities - one of them is looking to throw it in because nobody cares about the ongoing environmental damage which is going on in conjunction with one of my groups. I have a bad feeling that the person running that group is right and it should cease - cause it's just a kick in the guts for people trying to do the right thing - only to be let down because silly people are getting away with Murder!

Another engineering question

Another engineering question

The Dallas Cowboys' practice dome thinggy: Safe or Structurally Deficient? They say it passed an inspection last year. I wonder if that inspector is still employed today?

--T

Everything helps. It's easy to think that one person isn't making a difference but you do. Every other person helping also makes a great difference. Sure there's plenty of numbnuts and screw balls out there, but think about it. Just X years ago they might get away with it, but now it's taboo to litter and even fines and the law are trying to protect our only asset for life (Earth). So all the efforts haven't gone unnoticed. Ironically all of us here are doing a part too by keeping electronics out of dumps. ;-)

barythrin wrote:

Everything helps. It's easy to think that one person isn't making a difference but you do. Every other person helping also makes a great difference. Sure there's plenty of numbnuts and screw balls out there, but think about it. Just X years ago they might get away with it, but now it's taboo to litter and even fines and the law are trying to protect our only asset for life (Earth). So all the efforts haven't gone unnoticed. Ironically all of us here are doing a part too by keeping electronics out of dumps. ;-)

No unfortunately this has bad written all over it! :-( And this isn't some simple littering offence - this has bad over it big time - sure Vegetation will recover if the activities cease, but it's a opening tracks everywhere which will introduce weeds and because it's on a steep slope it'll create erosion. That's been what gets my blood boiling! The idiots which manage that place only want signage in there - heck that won't do anything without enforcements - which is the problem, you could put up a barricade of signs and it still wouldn't work!

Back