• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

problems with computer lock

keylocl

keylocl

Could OP post another couple of pics of the header on the motherboard connects to, different angles ?
It occurs to me that perhaps the reason the lock wasn't connected in the first place is because the connections didn't match up. After all, they butchered the back of the case to get the board in. Maybe the reason the jumper doesn't work is because we're looking at the wrong one ? On some old boards, the jumpers on the header go every which way, nut just nice and aligned.
patscc

ok, i'll get the keyboard adapter as soon as i can...

and about the battery... maybe i screwed up :oops:, i could not get it out... it wouldnt budge, so i tried with a screwdriver and all i did was to break some of the plastic from the module...just a bit, not that much... did i break the whole battery? :(

anyway, i don't really know how to identify the motherboard number, but i think it may be this one, printed on the side of the board: MB-8433UUD-A VER:2

sorry patscc, i dont have a multimeter. and don't know how to use it much. i think i should get the whole motherboard off to get some clear pics of the header... something that i never done before... but i dont think it'll be too hard...

oh, and thanks for the help guys... i really appreciate your intrest in my problem...

Last edited:
and about the battery... maybe i screwed up :oops:, i could not get it out... it wouldnt budge, so i tried with a screwdriver and all i did was to break some of the plastic from the module...just a bit, not that much... did i break the whole battery?
You found a DS12887A. It's a chip (integrated circuit) plus battery encased in a plastic block.
Yours must be soldered to the motherboard. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything.
So far, I haven't read anything that indicates that your DS12887A definately needs replacement.

Did the "cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" error appear before or after your screwdriver 'adventure'?
Is it still present?

anyway, i don't really know how to identify the motherboard number, but i think it may be this one, printed on the side of the board: MB-8433UUD-A VER:2
Yes, that is it. The board is detailed at: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...ECH-INTERNATIONAL-CORPORATION-486-MB-101.html
That's how I knew the motherboard has a DS12887A instead of one of the variants.
The information also informs us that the PS/2 port is for a mouse only.
And we now know exactly which pins are the keylock ones (good suggestion Patscc).

There is extensive information at http://www.gweep.net/~sfoskett/hardware/mb8433uud.html
The 'Problems' area is an interesting read.

ok, i'll get the keyboard adapter as soon as i can...
Yes. Let's get the keyboard problem solved first.

Last edited:
so it seems that i'll need that serial adapter after all... i hope it works...
I presume that is in reference to the mouse.
Yes, the "I don't reccommend bothering to try to get the PS/2 mouse working. It has problems with the keyboard." and other bits, doesn't inspire confidence.
Rather than taking a chance with an adapter, how about finding a 'proper' serial mouse.

yep, still present and only started to appear after i tried to get the battery out.
Hmmm. Doesn't sound good.
Maybe damage (other than a bit of plastic knocked off) was done to the DS12887A, or perhaps a motherboard circuit track has been damaged.
There is a chance that once the keyboard is operational, going into the BIOS setup then saving the setup might remove the message.

Are you able to post a photo of the DS12887A including the area where you used the screwdriver? The quality will need to be much better than the earlier photos you posted.

and i'm planning to get this adapter: is it allright?
Your adapter needs to be male 5-pin DIN on one side with female PS/2 on the other side. To me, the item description isn't clear about which end is male and which is female.

OK! got the DIN adapter, and it works perfectly,i've got a keyboard! i also tried connecting the ps2 mouse and it works... but it's only a old ball mouse, not an optic one... i'll try one later...

the problem with the battery is still there though... what can i do? i looked into the bios but i really don't know where to look...

That's not really a battery--it's an integrated circuit that's packaged with a battery then encased in epoxy resin--you're not going to be able to pry it off as it's firmly soldered to the circuit board. If you try to pry it off, you'll probably ruin the motherboard.

In any case, you'll need to unsolder it from the board to replace it. This is not something you want to do yourself if you don't have some experience doing circuit board rework--better to have someone with experience work on it. If you find someone, have them install a socket in place of the chip.

You can then order a new DS12887 and install it in the socket. Then, 15 years or so from now, you can easily replace it again.

That's good news regarding the keyboard and mouse.

So the only problem left is the "cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" message that appears on each power up, and the message only started after you tried to pry off the DS12887A.

If you go into the BIOS setup, then exit it, saving the settings (important), and that doesn't stop the subject error message from appearing, then that pretty well confirms that you've done damage to either the DS12887A or to the motherboard.

Ditto on what Chuck said about soldering. You need to find someone experienced. You can send the board to me if you like, but obviously you'll be paying for postage and possible DS12887A replacement cost.

Is the computer booting into Windows? If it is, I can only think that's because the default option for the hard drive setting is "Auto detect".

yes, the message its still there, not when i reboot it, but yes when i turn off the pc and turn it back on... i guess i could mail it too you, modem7, if is not too much trouble.

i seem to have some problems detecting other hard drives and cdrom drives in the bios as well... you think maybe it's related to the battery problem?

------edit

scratch that, the hard drives work ok, and the cdrom is not recognized in the bios but works in windows anyway

Last edited:
Back