• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Ibm floppy drives wanted

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
Looking for a full height floppy drive for an IBM 5150
and
1/2 height one for an IBM PC Luggable, 5155 I beleive its called.

Email me if you have any of these for sale.

Thanks!!

gerrydoire@yahoo.ca

:>

As mentioned in an earlier thread, the HH ones for the 5155 are a different size from the 'normal' HH in the desktops.

(just FYI)

Siemens made some 1/3 height drives. Those should fit nicely without brute-force modification. I only ever saw them in Europe though. . .

I MANAGED TO GET THE TWO DRIVES I NEEDED FROM PEOPLE HERE.

1 FOR THE IBM 5150
1 FOR THE IBM Portable

Last edited:
I put in a 3.5" drive in mine

thm_ibm5155_front_view_drives.jpg

I have a faceplate/bracket for putting 3.5 floppy drives into a 5.25 bay if you're interested. Might help keep dust and such out.

Man that looks terrible, take that crap out, buy a black 3 1/2 floppy drive, and a black 5 1/4 holder for it, and make it look better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you like it :)
I am pretty sure I have the plate, but I have not decided whether I will keep the 3.5 drive in there, or just replace with the original 5 1/4". I was also playing with the idea of putting a hard drive in that slot.
Bill

Glad you like it :)
I am pretty sure I have the plate, but I have not decided whether I will keep the 3.5 drive in there, or just replace with the original 5 1/4". I was also playing with the idea of putting a hard drive in that slot.
Bill

I had a black face 3 1/2 in mine for a while.

Last edited:
At the risk of being stoned by all the purists here, mine has a greyish-beige 360K in the upper bay and a similarly-colored blank for the hdd in the lower bay, just because I think it looks gooder that way. <T puts on asbestos underwear>...

--T

DON'T TRASH THAT COMPUTER YOU g$#w%terf

DON'T TRASH THAT COMPUTER YOU g$#w%terf

At the risk of being stoned by all the purists here, mine has a greyish-beige 360K in the upper bay and a similarly-colored blank for the hdd in the lower bay, just because I think it looks gooder that way. <T puts on asbestos underwear>...

--T

I think that works, both being the same color.

IMO - No matter what computer it be new or old, something majorily trashy looking about mixing beige and black devices in the storage bays.

I Recently purchased an LG DVD Writer, OMG a company with a clue -- even though the drive is black, it came with an easy to replace beigh colored faceplate as well, which came in handy, cause the computer I purchased it for was beige.

The IBM Portable I own had 1 Black 360, the original drive, and a beige hd below it, well I said to myself, well that has to go, the HD was dead so it was going nehows, so I put a 1.44 black floppy in its place, which looked perfectly fine, then opted to have two of the original drives the computer was sold with, give it that untouched vintage look of originality.

Most of the cards in the machine were replaced with better cards, which you don't see, so they don't affect its overal vintage look, and most of the cards are pretty much vintage themself, just never came with this machine originally.

ATI Graphics Solution Ver 1.0
Orchid 286 Tiny Turbo with 287 Math Chip
Ultra Floppy Controller, small card, less chips, less power consumption
Sound Blaster Ver 1.0
Acculogic IDE Card
Microsoft Inport Mouse Card
Quadram 768k Memory Card- The IBM Memory Card wouldn't work with the Orchid 286

Other than plugging in these 8-bit ISA Cards, the computer is pretty much the same as it was sold.

Last edited:
I know aesthetics are often a matter of personal taste, I just think that the 5155 looks better sporting drives that match the overall color scheme of the rest of the faceplate. Other boxes look better with a contrasting color. (But what do I know, I'm no artiste.

--T

I am in need of a full height 5 1/4 FDD for my 5160 as well. I placed a thread in the "Wanted" forum but have had no response. :confused: Also need a joystick controller card that would be appropriate for that model and not be dependent on a HD stored driver.

Back