• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect

linuxlove

Veteran Member
Some of you may remember my post about asking to download OS/2. It got removed by a moderator and I got a message saying that it was not legal to download, but if I asked some of the members to buy a copy, that would be ok. Allen was kind enough to send me a copy of OS/2 (after paying for it mind you). So I unboxed it (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89h_HBJutc ) and installed it. After fighting with it to install on my Aptiva, it finally did and I have been playing with OS/2 Warp 3 connect. It;s funny, it looks familiar, but when you use it it seems like you don't know where to begin...

OS/2 was always underrated, and under-appreciated.
I ran OS/2 from 2.0 in about 1990-1991, until 1996 or so, when the world was pretty much ALL Win32/Win95. For apps, I didn't have much choice at that point, and had to move to Win95.

T

Yep, I loved OS/2 also. One day I looked around and I had $300 (yep, $300) worth of SHAREWARE Apps for OS/2. It had some flaws in the beginning and their COM driver wasn't too hot. I had to fork out some money and buy a shareware driver that did a better job on the modem. I also used the now famous FM/2 for my file manager. Again, more shareware. I recently tried out eComStation. This is some guys in Europe trying to save OS/2. They are on Release Candidate 6!!!! I gave up on them.

I also am a reformed OS/2 user.

I started with OS/2 2.11 on the following machine:
  • 486DX/2 at 66Mhz
  • 16MB of RAM
  • Single speed external NEC CD-ROM on a Trantor T130B
  • 400MB Fujitsu SCSI drive on a BusLogic BT-445S Vesa Local Bus SCSI controller
  • ATI Graphics Ultra Pro with 2MB VRAM on the VESA Local Bus
  • 17" IBM trinitron based monitor running 1280x1024 with 256colors
  • 5.25 and 3.5" floppy drives
  • 8 bit Sound Blaster

In 1993 this was a smokin' hot machine. I had TCP/IP for it with PM/X for Xwindows support. The ability to run DOS, Windows, OS2 and remote X-Windows programs at the same time was mind-blowing. And that display was beautiful back then. This was a true 'workstation class' machine. And the OS had threads!

By the time I was done with OS/2 I was running Warp with Fixpack 36 on a Pentium class machine. I had purchased a tape drive, backup software, printer drivers, good image editing software, a TWAIN driver for a SCSI scanner, etc. for OS/2 because there was so little native device support for the operating system.

Windows made life difficult for OS/2, but Linux really killed it off. Why screw around with a single user OS with limited device support and software when Linux was getting so much better?

Heh...OK....I ran:

486DX2/66
EISA (clone) mainboard
20MB RAM, then 32MB (8-socket mainboard)
DTC 3290AS EISA SCSI, in Adaptec 1542 emulation mode
Maxtor LXT-213S 200MB SCSI 1st, then Maxtor PO-12S 1.2GB, then Maxtor P1-17 1.7GB SCSI drive (still got the P1-17S in my garage )
ATI MACH64 of some sort EISA Compaq-OEM card
MediaVision ProAudioStudio ISA sound
NEC MultiSpin SCSI CDROM

Man, did I LOVE that machine back then!
I ran that EISA 486DX2/66, then to a DX4/100, for about 4 years.
The SCSI was BLAZING fast for it's time, being EISA!

That DTC is a story in itself...
I had a customer we were upgrading to a retail POS system, under PC-MOS, and PC-MOS did NOT like that EISA 3290AS, so I ordered them an Always IN-2000 board, and they were good. Customer gave me the DTC card for $25, and I had it until just a few years ago. I don't really know what happened to it. I had the 486 EISA board, manual, disks (AMI ECU), plus the 3290AS and it's disks+manual, and it somehow vanished.

I will assume it was accidentally thrown out, similar to the fate of the sealed-in-box AT&T Unix PC manuals+disks I had...

T

Heh, If I look over at the 386 on the next table, it's got a DTC 3280 (ISA version of your card) running Win95 OSR2 at a blazing 16MHz with a vast 13MB of memory. The DTC has an 8GB drive, which it handles just fine.

I started off with OS/2 1.1, complete with development kit (can you say "hernia"?), updated to 1.2 then 2.0, 2.1 and then it was obvious after the Microsoft-IBM bust-up that Warp wasn't going to have a major impact, no matter how good it was--Microsoft had claimed the market and NT 3.51 was pretty good.

One thing I liked about OS/2 as a developer was the quality of the IBM documentation. You could pretty much bet that if the doc said something, it was true. Not at all like the Windows SDK/DDK.

I still run Warp 4 occasionally.

Os/2

Os/2

I ran a system that used OS/2 back in the early 90s to run a dual node BBS. It ran great.
Much better than trying to run it with an early Windows or under DOS. I always hoped
OS/2 would finally catch on, but alas it just kept going downhill due to many things.

Some of you may remember my post about asking to download OS/2. It got removed by a moderator and I got a message saying that it was not legal to download, but if I asked some of the members to buy a copy, that would be ok. Allen was kind enough to send me a copy of OS/2 (after paying for it mind you). So I unboxed it (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89h_HBJutc ) and installed it. After fighting with it to install on my Aptiva, it finally did and I have been playing with OS/2 Warp 3 connect. It;s funny, it looks familiar, but when you use it it seems like you don't know where to begin...

When it comes to OS/2 - I think IBM should stick to their original strategy,
the money is in the hardware, not this software stuff.... :rolleyes:

I thought about OS/2 this week as I mulled over all the subnotebooks I had owned and sadly the one that got away OQO (they have gone bankrupt). I mulled it over here

But back to the main point. In IBM were we reguarly told (especially when Gerstner took over) that the money was not in the Hardware or Software.

It is in the services.​

I ran it and trouble shot installs of it for just a little time (towards the end of the line). I also thought Ecomstation (OS/2 Warp 5) would be a great thing but it just hides in the shadows like lots of other OSes that have a higher price tag.

My friend and I ran the dos version but he ran his BBS on OS/2 also using VBBS, also our largest BBS in central texas (for a while) "The HUB" (later "The Central Texas PC Users Group") ran Maximus on OS/2 also. Even had a weather plugin installed that shut down the BBS/IBM PC when bad weather was here.

alright, so i'm trying to install drivers for a Compaq Netflex card. I selected the TCP/IP option and when it prompts me to put in the physical address of the card, I do that. When it goes to install, it gives me this error:

Unknown error (205) generating response files.

Anyone know what to do?

EDIT: Downloading official drivers from Compaq did not work.

Last edited:
Well from what i see, you may want to try and find the response files, but don't count on my brilliance, i've only used WARP 4, and looking at log files when something crashed always helped me. it may be that the chipset for your particular card may not be very compatible with the driver, you may want to try looking for drivers for the particular chip set.

Back