• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Heathkit Volt/Ohm meter up on the bay

I've got an Eico VTVM in working condition that I'd trade for a Simpson 260 VOM any day.

Is this post in the right category? I wasn't aware that VTVMs were used much on computer gear.

I wasn't sure where to put it. If you're in my shop. I'll use anything to work on stuff! If the battery goes out on the digital, I wopuld use this in a heartbeat.

Though it probably ought to be in the off topic marketplace, you're right.

Vintage test gear is cool but not much to do with computers. :) I've got a Heathkit Audio VTVM but I never even plugged it in because it's just a collectors item. You can get a very functional modern meter for 80 bucks or less that will do millivolts to 1KV/AC/DC, capacitance, peak hold, etc, etc, so all this old stuff is rarely worth plugging in - just nice to look at. :)

Since you guys are talking about heathkit test gear is this a collectible or not ? I really have no idea. I looks cool though. Someone gave it to me awhile ago and I've kept it thinking I would use it as a prop in my $500 remake of Frankenstein.

Attachments

• _MG_4437.jpg
    _MG_4437.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thats an oscilloscope. Old ones like this are very common and not worth much unless they were extremely good to begin with. However, an old scope like this is really useful for basic audio stuff. I take it you're not into audio since you didn't know what this was but I would still recommend you keep it because it's worth it as a prop if for nothing else. :)

Actually I suggest you do a net search and try some things with it like hooking it up to stuff like a microphone or radio or whatever you got. You can't break it and I guarantee you'll have fun.

I guess my question was more if I should just treat it as any other old scope.
Sorry. :) Yes, it is just an old scope - a professional (or someone with higher expectations) will need a newer and much more expensive one. These kinds of scopes are worth very little money. What I was trying to say is that even an old scope is very useful for audio diagnosis. You get to see what is going on so it is also a very good learning tool. And, it is a great way to have fun watching patterns that would look great in your Frankenstein movie!

PS: This subject comes up frequently here so there is more info somewhere in these forums. It is easy to find lots of info with a net search, however, look further down the page on this site for what your scope might be worth in the real world.

I have a couple of old Heath scopes, too, never thought they'd be worth anything. Probably not. I did hear rumors about how to make pong work on a scope. If I can find out how, I'll pass it on.

Heathkits are really neat.

I've got an Eico VTVM in working condition that I'd trade for a Simpson 260 VOM any day.

Is this post in the right category? I wasn't aware that VTVMs were used much on computer gear.

Hi
I agree about the 260. Mine is sure handy. VTVMs are still nice to have
but in the low voltage lower impedance world of digital, most any analog
meter will do.
Most still don't get the difference between an analog meter and a digital
one. When I'm trouble shooting, the 260 is the first I grab. When
setting powersupply levels I use the digital meter. The analog meter
is just so much faster when tracing circuits or checking for shorts.
It's like when looking for a short, I don't care is it is .03 or .15 ohms.
The meter shows it is low enough in an instant.
I do have methods for finding shorts that requires either a DVM or VTVM
with a vary low voltage scale. With this method I can find a short on a board
with ground planes in just a few minutes.
Dwight

PS: This subject comes up frequently here so there is more info somewhere in these forums. It is easy to find lots of info with a net search, however, look further down the page on this site for what your scope might be worth in the real world.

Heathkit stuff is different. If it wasn't Heathkit I wouldn't have asked. Everything Heathkit is just a <insert item here>. What makes them special to some people is that they were mainly kits you built yourself. Some grew up building the kits with their dad or just by themselves and have a strange fondness for them. You can read about it Here

I don't have any illusions to it being worth anything at all but, the discussion was about a heathkit VM and I had just been playing with it and thought I'd post the picture of it to show off. I think its a pretty cool old thing. I really didn't expect to have someone talk to me like I'm an idiot that doesn't know what a scope is or that old ones aren't very useful. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

I know it wasn't me, but let me apologize anyway. We get into preacher mode kind of easily around here. I remember once a new computer user asked about somthing fairly simple and I replied "step away from the computer, don't show any fear" and that was all it took to set him off in a big way.

This was nothing like that but we all have those days sometimes. You're not an idiot, it's all good.

Nathan

Heathkit stuff is different. If it wasn't Heathkit I wouldn't have asked.

Yep, I am one of many that are fond of Heathkit for exactly that reason. I somehow managed to get my parents to buy me a close to bottom of the line shortwave receiver. I had great fun soldering away. I accidentally broke one of the rf coils but got it back together. The high frequency hearing in my left ear is damaged to this day from listening to that radio with only one earphone. I would crank it up trying to hear some signal and stubble across some RF interference, which of course, would blast my ear out.

And....
I too have one of the scopes sitting in the other room. They are simple and good to learn on. The dual trace thing I bought is intimidating, even for a long time geek like myself.

Would that by any chance be a Heathkit GR-64 ?

I still have the one my parents bought me back in 1967 or so.
It had already been assembled when I got it but I logged
hundreds of hours listening to this thing. Actually the
receiver still works pretty good, but unfortunately there isn't
much left to listen to on shortwave nowadays.

My father has the same VTVM being discussed , that he built
probably sometime in the 1950's , along with a Heathkit Oscilloscope.
Both of these still work too :)

Yep, I am one of many that are fond of Heathkit for exactly that reason. I somehow managed to get my parents to buy me a close to bottom of the line shortwave receiver. I had great fun soldering away. I accidentally broke one of the rf coils but got it back together. The high frequency hearing in my left ear is damaged to this day from listening to that radio with only one earphone. I would crank it up trying to hear some signal and stubble across some RF interference, which of course, would blast my ear out.

And....
I too have one of the scopes sitting in the other room. They are simple and good to learn on. The dual trace thing I bought is intimidating, even for a long time geek like myself.

@leaknoil:
I don't know what it is you're thinking, I only have your actual words to go on. :) There was no intent on my part to belittle what knowledge you have and it is quite likely that I know much less than you on the subject - like I said, I only have your words to go on. I was just trying to be informative based on your post. However, if there is some misunderstanding here then I will gladly apologize for my part: I'm sorry.

Regarding Heathkit. I too think it is special stuff and collect it when it comes along. They built some very good equipment in many cases, and they stand out for the quality and completeness of their kits and I am aware of their status.

Regarding old scopes. I was quite genuine in what I said and actually thought I was answering your question. An old scope is VERY useful. That is all I have and I use it for real world audio stuff and not just as a collectible. In fact, the one that you have looks like a better one. :) If you are already into electronics (how would I know?) then you already know what I am talking about and don't need my advice. (Ignore me then.) As an old school audio guy I just like to encourage people to get into this stuff so I make sure they know that they don't need new or expensive equipment to do it. I am fairely poor (old age pension) so this kind of information could be useful to me and others in my position. Someone with a job, or similarly well off, would probably not care. I'm likely in my own little world here when it comes to economic thinking. :) If you think this is obvious and that I shouldn't say it, fine, but how would I know that?

The specific model of scope you showed is actually very nice and is also particularly interesting because I cannot find any information on it. I looked for quite a while yesterday. Perhaps you did too and that is what you were actually asking about. That was not expressed in your original post and I had no way of knowing. If I find anything on the model, I will PM you or post here. :)

Cheers, Ole

Hmm, wow, I just looked at a picture of the GR-64 and it looks damn close to what I had. Could have been that very one. Having the S-meter on the right looks very familiar plus the whole layout of the front. Plus, looks like it was fairly cheap for around 1960 altho $50 was a lot more money to come up back then.

Back