• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC 8201a

JGardner

Experienced Member
Included in Chris Burns' port of Small-C to the 8085
is a help file named "readme~1.doc".

Anyone know what viewer is needed to read this file?

thanks

Assuming you have some version of Windows, Notepad or Wordpad will likely work. If it is a true "doc" format file, download the free "Windows Word viewer" and install it. Like it sounds, you can view files but not update them with the viewer program. Microsoft has other free viewers of Excel (xls) and Powerpoint (pps) files too.

Another file viewer that I use about 4 times every day is

http://www.ngthomas.co.uk/wnbrowse.html

WnBrowse is the best freeware file viewer I have ever run across. Displays the file in both hexadecimal and text forms, you can search for hex or ascii strings. Absolutely the best.

I even have fun exchanging emails with the author, Nigel Thomas.

Oh, just like it sounds, it is a Windows based application.

Given the age of the software in question, README.DOC is probably a flat textfile and can be opened by any number of programs, including WordPad if you happen to be stuck with that environment.

Thanks for the help. Pre-empted by a crash at the moment
(running DSL in a ramdisk), but I hope to give Small-C a
workout soon.

Jack

Seeing as we're discussing Small-C, if it's not plain text, might be in WordStar format.
I would guess it's plain text, though. If you open it in wordpad, and see a bunch of letters "missing" from the beginning of words, then it's WS.

T

Seeing as we're discussing Small-C, if it's not plain text, might be in WordStar format.
I would guess it's plain text, though. If you open it in wordpad, and see a bunch of letters "missing" from the beginning of words, then it's WS.

T

i know. i got an old 360KB floppy disk from my grandma and it had a bunch of letters. so i pop them open in notepad and i see letters missing all over the place. Now i know what created those documents...

> Seeing as we're discussing Small-C, if it's not plain text, might be in WordStar format

Possible. There are several text files, one is plain ASCII. The one I mentioned is clearly
in some other format. It seems to be the "how-to" instructiions.

Vern Buerg's list.com

Wow, list.com has to me my TOP all time favorite DOS utility program. Back around 1991-96, I must have executed that program well over 100 times. It was even easier to use for selective directory management than PCTOOLS or Norton. I still have numerous backup copies in various corners of the mobile. After long file names came along, it got too dangerous to use. As we all found out, use a DOS utility on a Win98 disk drive and likely will be sorry.

LIST has been in my stable of tools and is probably my most used non-editor utility since I purchased it in 1987. Still have the original 5.25" disk.

I used to use LJBOOK quite a bit for listings, but since Windoze will now do the same, I no longer use it.

Back