• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Arc-net

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
Is there any interest in the ARC-Net networking systems ? I have a PureData Arcnet hub,
and I believe a bunch of PureData Arcnet cards. In my collecting heyday during the 90s I was in Toronto, which was the home-base of PureData, so the cards were very available in thrift shops. I sometimes scooped without really knowing what I had scooped.

Lawrence

Nobody doing any experiments with alternate networking methods ? Has Ethernet become the clear winner ? Is token-ring, Lantastic and all the others to go down into historical ignomy as simply abandoned systems ? A YES gets you DELETED for lack of imagination.
Michelangelo still inspires budding aerospace technologists.

Lawrence

Why, are you looking for excess inventory of RG-58 and terminators? I've got a pile--I hope I never have to go back to playing "find the terminator" again...

Industrial use for Arcnet

Industrial use for Arcnet

There are many industrial systems still in use that use arcnet. At my former employer, as recently as eight years ago, we (they) were still selling power generation gas turbine controls originally designed in the mid 80s that used arcnet to communicate with the remote operator terminal.

If I could get my hands on an arcnet controller for my TRS80 model II I'd be all into it. :) I am going to attempt to make a rudimentary IEEE-488 network for cross platform transfers though. Does that count?

-Matt

I sold a dozen various ArcNet cards to some guy in the US for some distributed cash register software he was developing for someone which still left me a box or two or cards. Haven't seen a hub around anywhere, but, one never knows....

I've got a bunch of cards (maybe 50?) somewhere, and I know where the hubs are. There's 4 or 5 of those and probably a matching power supply or two. I don't get to the post office that often, but I would be very pleased if someone was interested in them. That's why I keep this old stuff. :)

PS: Druid, if you can sell these things I'd be happy to send them to you. It would be nice if someone got something out of them.

As I suggested the arcnet hub is available, as well as a bunch of Pure-Data cards. If you can find a buyer be my guest. $10 for the hub and $1 for each card (plus shipping) :*)

Lawrence.

I sold a dozen various ArcNet cards to some guy in the US for some distributed cash register software he was developing for someone which still left me a box or two or cards. Haven't seen a hub around anywhere, but, one never knows....

Ole Juul. I thought much of my obscure items were somewhat unique. How does a guy somewhere in the mountain valleys near the Okanagan wind up with a stash of them ? Perplexing but quite cool. Possibly us weird nerds in the extreme boonies have become a prime source for old stock. Right on !!

Lawrence

Last edited:
I've got a bunch of cards (maybe 50?) somewhere, and I know where the hubs are. There's 4 or 5 of those and probably a matching power supply or two. I don't get to the post office that often, but I would be very pleased if someone was interested in them. That's why I keep this old stuff. :)

PS: Druid, if you can sell these things I'd be happy to send them to you. It would be nice if someone got something out of them.

Like I said, that sale only left me with a couple of boxes full of arcnet cards left over. I just put them on my site and stick the boxes in the closet LOL

Nice thing is, the longer they sit around, the more Vintage they get and I'll just jack the prices up to 3/4s of what ABC wants :)

Ole Juul. I thought much of my obscure items were somewhat unique. How does a guy somewhere in the mountain valleys near the Okanagan wind up with a stash of them ? Perplexing but quite cool. Possibly us weird nerds in the extreme boonies have become a prime source for old stock. Right on !!
Lawrence
Short version: :) I moved here just about 5 years ago and in Vancouver I had gotten lots of stuff, including some van loads from a place that specialized in networking. That particular place said I could have whatever was in the back room - but I had to take it all. Most rooms in my house got filled to about waist level. My friends laughed at me, but I learnt a lot about computer repair from that lot. lol

When I moved I purchased a 57 foot trailer. That is the biggest allowed on the road, and they can't even take them on a lot of highways in the US. Anyway, I told some guys to stuff it with everything they could find within my property. It was filled to the very (very) end! The cool part to this moving story is that I sold the trailer for the same price that I bought it for to the guy I bought this house from. :p The move only cost me some cheap labour and the $700 cash some trucker charged me to haul the trailer this far.

Back