• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for an Atari Falcon

irishmike

Experienced Member
I am seeking an Atari Falcon but know little about it other than it was a great machine and has the slanted F-Keys. Before I actually purchase one can anyone tell me what to look for as far as what comes with it and if there are any "gotchas" that I should be aware of.

For example, when buying an Amiga 4000, it is imperative that you check to make sure that it has not had a [CMOS] battery leak.

Many thanks on advice and leads would be nice.

Thanks,

Mike

You should ask if the time is correct. If not, you'll have to replace the nvram chip, which is some soldering trouble. Please note that the Falcon has a board with four layers.

Fourteen megs of ST-Ram would be nice, Speeders also.
If you plan upgrading it to the latest accelerator card, the CT63, then you should try to get a Falcon without other speeders (except for a bus speeder), as you'd have to build the Falcon back to its original state.

If you should have other questions you can ask them here or write me a pm.

@jens: Thanks for the information. I assume the NVRAM chip has a built in battery and therefore could fail?

I would hope to find one that was close to factory if I buy one though.

Always can use as much information as possible. Thanks.

Yes, it has a battery, and those batteries tend to have consumed up power after about ten to fifteen years.
One of my Falcons got a new chip, while the other gets the time from the Internet, and MagiC (replacement OS) is handling the graphic and keyboard settings. ;)

If you want a basic box, just get a Falcon, upgrade the ram, and maybe speed the system to 25 mhz which makes using it much nicer.
After that you can think about ethernet and, if you ask me, CrippleMiNT as small, but fast operating system which is freely available (MagiC, which I like over MiNT is quite pricey).
Setting up STinG, a basic TCP/IP stack is described on my page, while MiNT needs another setup.

@jens: 10 to 15 years on the battery? Wow, that is great. I was thinking that the chip would be like the Dallas Clock chips in early PCs -- those batteries had a definite shelf life of max 5 years and more likely they would last like 3, as I recall.

So how much should a decent Falcon go for? Are we talking Amiga 1200 money (+/-$400 USD) or Amiga 4000 (+/-$800 USD), or are we more in a "human" range in prices (under $400)? I am looking for an estimate in US Dollars naturally.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what the difference between the Falcon and the 520ST are, other than the obvious lack of a disk drive. Just wondering, because I might want to pick up a 520ST as well :)

About the same difference as between an IBM AT 5160 and a IBM PS/2 Model 90. :)

The 520ST has a 8 MHz 68000, 512K memory, a palette of 512 colours IIRC.. basically an entry level 16-bit machine from 1985/86. There are models with built in floppy drive, the 520STF and 520STFM (M = RF modulator). The STE came later and is more advanced. You also have the 1040ST and 1040STE models.

The Falcon is rather the last in the line of ST-related machines launched in 1992 or so. While some ST software might run on the Falcon (I have no clue really), software written for the Falcon of course won't run on an older ST.

@carlsson: cool. I was just wondering. It seems that all the research I am doing on the Atari's the only models that seem to exist on certain people's timelines are the 520ST and one they refer to as "Stacy".

Is there a good resource for all the lines of Atari computers?

Appreciate all the help.

Stacy is a portable computer, probably even more rare and collectable than any Falcon is.

Here are some obvious links to start with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/company.asp?st=1&m=10
http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/16BITS/a1632bit.html
http://www.myatari.com/ataristh.txt

The 520ST(FM) probably is the most common one, and loose you can sometimes get it for free or very little money, about $10 at a local flea market? Then you have the rare machines on the other end of the scale, those people mention due to their rarity so it is not so surprising the other machines in the middle of the list only get mentioned in specific contexts.

@carlsson: That is cool. I am not wanting a stacy, just wondered what it was and noticed the lack of the Falcon being mentioned on some history of computer timeline I came across.

I definitely want to acquire the Falcon. I am currently actually reading this link:

http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/comphist/

It seems fairly comprehensive so far. I am up to 1977 I think. The history starts in the 1940's for this site. Very interesting so far.

@starshadow: I believe it is established that it was a "portable".

@all: I have decided to try to seek a 520ST (fm) and would like to find one here in the states. I saw an auction on ebay for one in Australia, but I REALLY don't want to pay to have it shipped Internationally. So if anyone has one for sale in the US please PM me.

Atari 520ST (probably STF or STFM) in Sanford, FL. Perhaps a bit late to bid, depending on whether you read the forum when this is posted.

Atari 520STE 4MB RAM, 540MB HDD located in Meadville. I believe the STE model is completely backwards compatible with the older ST series, but adds new features. It is also less common to find. This one even comes in its original box which despite being tatty should add to the value if you manage to get it cheaply.

Otherwise, I would think you may post an ad on some freecycle list or likewise. Perhaps there is a usergroup nearby? I don't know about how common the Atari ST line was in the USA, but over here they're reasonably common and usually don't go for much money unless in a very good condition or something extra included.

You should also look for 1040's. It has twice the memory than a 520 but otherwise should be the same. I would expect the cost for those two being the same.

Atari 1040STF with two Megafile hard disks located in Daly City, CA. However those are mostly untested, and STF means you need to have a monitor cable since it won't connect to a TV (no internal RF modulator).

Atari 1040STF with SCSI located in Vancouver, WA. The seller adds a lot of nonsense sales pitch, but I believe all the technical details he mention are standard features, no particular upgrades. At least it is said to be tested working, but again STF means you need a monitor and/or a cable.

Atari 1040ST of unknown variation, located in Victoria, BC, Canada but will ship to the USA for $28.75.

Oh well, those were the ones I found right now without going further abroad than Canada. You need to search for combinations of Atari, ST, 520, 520ST, 1040, 1040ST and perhaps those STF, STFM, STE variations as well to spot all. Good luck.

While I am thinking about it, What kind of monitor do these use. Is it like an Amiga monitor or is it standard (eg VGA). What cable would I need. I should probably get a hold of one of those (monitor plus cable) as well.

I also am definitely going to acquire one of these machines -- Carlsson of course helped in that manor, so hopefully later this week I will be buying one of those on ebay.

To that end: I need to find some software for the ST. I would need:

1. Terminal software (very important for a BBS guy)
2. Word Processing software

I think that covers the gammut. If anyone has suggestions on what are good packages and/or can help me obtain it, please let me know. Also online resources to get software would be VERY helpful.

The ST series uses a very uncommon 13 or 14 pin DIN connector. Which kind of signal it is, I'm not sure but should be easy to look up. If you're satisfied with a 12" small, monochrome display those SM124 should almost be free if you pick it up yourself. At least they are over here.

There were several Falcon-based machines produced when Atari went out of business. Mostly produced in Europe. I believe one was called the Mark II. They were superior to the Falcon and in architecture were somewhat like the NEXT. Many of the Atari enthusiasts went over to these clones when Atari closed shop. It's possible that some of these machines are available at a cheaper price than the Falcon which has a collector price tag attached to it. Most would be found in Europe, but there was also one dealer in Alberta and several in the US.

If you are interested in an ST, you should realise that the ST520 was the minimal ST produced. Limited ram as compared to the 1040 and in many cases even restricted to a double-sided 3.5 fdd. The ST-E was the best of the STs and going prices reflect that. It had more memory-expansion capabilities and sterio sound, like the STfm, but also the could accept a better TOS, vers.2.06.

A later ST was the MEGA, which could be expanded to 4megs of memory among other things. The Mega STe was the final expansion of the ST line and resale prices reflect that.

One of the things which made the ST so popular with musicians, especially in Europe was the built-in MIDI ports, meaning , at that time you didn't need sn expensive Midi adaptor.

There is a vast amount of Atari ST material out there. Perhaps you should consult that before buying one.

Lawrence

Last edited:
@micom 2000: Thanks for the input. I think I am coming along fine with the research and so far, while I am inclined to go with a 520STE or 1040STE -- I really do want to stick with the REAL Atari computers... I mean it is kind of like going with a Laser instead of an Apple IIe, though both are technically alike, there is something about the original Apple II that appeals more.

@all: I appreciate the help in this, still need to know about the monitors and specifically the cable. One of the auctions I am watching is willing to include the ST to SVGA upon request at the close of the sale... but he mentions that that only shows up in monochrome (greyscale) no color. So I need to find a real RGB I think.

Back